Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Sigma Multi Widerama YS 18mm f/3.2
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2023 5:20 am    Post subject: Sigma Multi Widerama YS 18mm f/3.2 Reply with quote

Got this thing for some $15 in Konica AR mount. Started playing with it. So far, everything I found on it on the internet appears to bear out: not the sharpest, not the most contrasty, glowy at larger apertures. However, the extreme wide-angle view at 18mm makes it a unique addition to my vintage lens harem. I will be sharing more results here.

最後のお客様 by Artem, on Flickr

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2023 7:46 am    Post subject: Re: Sigma Multi Widerama YS 18mm f/3.2 Reply with quote

Arutemu wrote:
Got this thing for some $15 in Konica AR mount. Started playing with it. So far, everything I found on it on the internet appears to bear out: not the sharpest, not the most contrasty, glowy at larger apertures. However, the extreme wide-angle view at 18mm makes it a unique addition to my vintage lens harem. I will be sharing more results here.

最後のお客様 by Artem, on Flickr

Probably not a winner, but your skills made this picture wonderful just because the lens faults (not too many, by the way)

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2023 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh my... great cinematic mood! Perhaps inspired by Edward Hopper's Nighthawks?

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2023 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1

Yes, a really atmospheric shot, I like it a lot!

Got to ask re. the location; the interior decor suggests this could be in Japan, but the signs are in English. Maybe an oriental-styled cafe/restaurant in the US?

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2023 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very pretty- I'm looking forward to more shots you've taken with it.

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2023 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's cool, as if it was photographed with a black mist filter.

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2023 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pancolart wrote:
Oh my... great cinematic mood! Perhaps inspired by Edward Hopper's Nighthawks?

Lol, never crossed my mind, but now that you mentioned it, yeah, I can see how it might appear Wink

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2023 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RokkorDoctor wrote:
Like 1

Yes, a really atmospheric shot, I like it a lot!

Got to ask re. the location; the interior decor suggests this could be in Japan, but the signs are in English. Maybe an oriental-styled cafe/restaurant in the US?

Thanks! Location-wise, nah, this was in the US. The title in Japanese, 最後のお客様, which means, "The last customer" probably unconsciously suggested Japan (which was my intention).

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2023 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Noticed so far: really glowy in highlighted areas.

Summer's here by Artem, on Flickr

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2023 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arutemu wrote:
Noticed so far: really glowy in highlighted areas.

Too much sharpened and contrasty to judge the lens

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2023 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ultrapix wrote:

I shoot in RAW. In order to upload to Flickr, it needs to be processed into jpeg. And it needs to be something that I am happy with. Hence, the processing to my taste. Even a processed image should give an idea of the lens potential.

However, if it matters that much - here's n unprocessed image. Same location, same time. RAW straight to jpeg without edits. none.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2023 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surprisingly sharp at corners. I wonder why a glow in the middle. Perhaps a hazy element?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2023 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pancolart wrote:
Surprisingly sharp at corners. I wonder why a glow in the middle. Perhaps a hazy element?

i think is field curvature, i have a vivitar 19mm doin the same, corners sharp but not center or center sharp but not the corners

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2023 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arutemu wrote:
Ultrapix wrote:

I shoot in RAW. In order to upload to Flickr, it needs to be processed into jpeg. And it needs to be something that I am happy with. Hence, the processing to my taste. Even a processed image should give an idea of the lens potential.

However, if it matters that much - here's n unprocessed image. Same location, same time. RAW straight to jpeg without edits. none.

When we talk about photography, I am happy to see your edited pics, but when it comes to a lens IQ, an unedited/slightly edited photo speaks much more to me. This is the case, now I am much more aware about the lens potential, thanks.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2023 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It definitely resembles the performance of my copy, even remembering screw mount flange distance sensitivity, but - I quite like the processing.

It's a reminder to me that a bit of glow or spherical aberration doesn't have to be the end of an image.
Although does it require stronger than usual processing to 'diminish', which you have to like to begin with.

A guess, and one I'd stand to be corrected on by forum members with a bit more experience processing images (e.g. kymarto).

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2024 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More...

Autumn magic by Artem, on Flickr

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2024 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pancolart wrote:

Most probably. Looks a lot like my 3.5/14mm Sigmas with degraded internal lens surfaces.

http://forum.mflenses.com/sigma-af-3-5-14mm-ii-cleaning-attempt-t84992.html

S