Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Sigma APO 50-200mm F3.5-4.5
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 1:39 am    Post subject: Sigma APO 50-200mm F3.5-4.5 Reply with quote

Picked up this weird puppy locally. Supposedly costed $799 at release 1985. Has two LD element and multiple coating. Came with an 62mm APOchromatic close up filter making it a 1:2 lens at the tele end. Has almost zero information on the internet. Anyone has this can comment on its quality?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never heard of it, but it is really cool looking. Would love to see samples.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found these on the internet:

this

and this (in Japanese)

http://www.yaotomi.co.jp/blog/used/2010/04/sigma-apo-zoom-50-200mm-f35-45.html

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sigma: "APO"

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great find! Is it in Pentax K mount?

Cheers!

Abbazz

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Abbazz wrote:

Cheers!

Abbazz

Looks like it might be a Nikon F mount to me.
OH

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldhand wrote:
Abbazz wrote:

Cheers!

Abbazz

OH

OM mount. The two side buttons are inherited from Pen-F mount.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

calvin83 wrote:
Oldhand wrote:
Abbazz wrote:

Cheers!

Abbazz

OH

Ah ha - I stand corrected.
Mucho Gratias Calvin
OH

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 100-500 looks interesting too. I wonder whether it's worth the hefty price on TaoBao...

Cheers!

Abbazz

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Deep wrote:
Sigma: "APO"

hehe. Very funny. Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

calvin83 wrote:
Oldhand wrote:
Abbazz wrote:

Cheers!

Abbazz

OH

Calvin is right OM mount.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took some quick shots (nothing artistic anyway) against bright objects to see if the APO labeling is warranted. I have to say I am pretty impressed with the thing. The contrast isn't what I would call L quality but resolution is stellar and CA is none existent. Color is a bit on the cold side and fairly clinical but I can live with it. Last three shots were done with the close up filter.

Sigma 50-200 APO-05799.jpg

Sigma 50-200 APO-05800.jpg

Sigma 50-200 APO-05806.jpg

Sigma 50-200 APO-05810.jpg

Sigma 50-200 APO-05812.jpg

Sigma 50-200 APO-05818.jpg

Sigma 50-200 APO-05824.jpg

Sigma 50-200 APO-05828.jpg

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Verrrrry nice.
I really like the rendering here.
Number 4 is almost 3D.
Thanks for sharing - a great lens it seems
OH

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldhand wrote:
Verrrrry nice.
I really like the rendering here.
Number 4 is almost 3D.
Thanks for sharing - a great lens it seems
OH

I am glad you like it. Personally I don't really care for its rendering. It is too clinical and not enough panache for me. Sad It just seems academically correct but nothing special. I personally enjoy Tamron SP 19AH's rendering much more than this. Not sure how to describe it, feels much more ephemeral.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an APO Sigma 400mm F5.6 from the same time. It was when Sigma started to seriously challenge the more famous lens manufacturers.

Your lens is one of the best zoom lens of that era. Better than the Vivitar series 1, in my opinion. The Sigma 50-200 is little known today because it was relatively expensive and should not have sold in the millions. Modern Photography tested and approved it.

If your lens has no hazy elements or defects in the cements (common in Sigma lenses from that time), you have a high-performance lens that deserves to be kept.

Below the MP test and the Adorama price list in the same issue. Maybe people find interesting to know the street prices of photographic equipment in March 1985.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gerald wrote:

If your lens has no hazy elements or defects in the cements (common in Sigma lenses from that time), you have a high-performance lens that deserves to be kept.

Thanks for the comments and review article. Very interesting. How do one check for defects in cements? I looked through the glass and can see through very well. Can't really tell if any element is hazey looking through the lens but certainly front and back elements are completely clear. It has some weird color coating making looking through every element an complicated task.

The contrast isn't as high as I like which could be indicative of transmission issues. But even if I am losing some lights because of it, in the digital age, it isn't something lightroom can't fix with a few clicks.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did not see anything suspicious in the pictures of your lens you posted.

Defects in optical cements are generally of two types: degeneration and separation. When the cement is in perfect condition, it is completely transparent, but when degenerates it gets a milky appearance, which greatly reduces image contrast. One way to inspect a lens is through the "flashlight test":
http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/flashlight-test.htm

Attention, you'll be impressed with what they will see. Even a perfect lens may seem much worse than it actually is. When in doubt, compare it with other lenses that you know are good.

Separation is when the cement detaches at some points, creating a micro gap between the optical elements. The separation can be identified by the color fringes like those you see in a film of oil on the water.

On the contrast of the images, I think maybe they're in need of a little post-processing.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gerald wrote:
I did not see anything suspicious in the pictures of your lens you posted.

Defects in optical cements are generally of two types: degeneration and separation. When the cement is in perfect condition, it is completely transparent, but when degenerates it gets a milky appearance, which greatly reduces image contrast. One way to inspect a lens is through the "flashlight test":
http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/flashlight-test.htm

Attention, you'll be impressed with what they will see. Even a perfect lens may seem much worse than it actually is. When in doubt, compare it with other lenses that you know are good.

Separation is when the cement detaches at some points, creating a micro gap between the optical elements. The separation can be identified by the color fringes like those you see in a film of oil on the water.

On the contrast of the images, I think maybe they're in need of a little post-processing.

Thanks for the hint. Looked through using a flash light and didn't see anything too serious. I guess I have a keeper.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations! It is a lens that I would love to have.Smile
This Sigma is practical, relatively small and light, well built, beautiful and has excellent performance.
And if it is in perfect condition after 30 years, it should last another 30! Very Happy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen this lens for sale a few times but always in FD mount so passed. Hopefully one in a better mount will come along one day.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
I've seen this lens for sale a few times but always in FD mount so passed. Hopefully one in a better mount will come along one day.

Sounds like a mirrorless maybe in your future.

Wink

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello!

I have recently obtained one of these lenses but I have some problem with focusing. I'm using these lenses on a Rebel EOS T3 body with an EF - FD converter. The problem is, that there is a very slight focusing effect (basically nothing) when shooting far objects. Here, I made some pictures:

At 50mm with 25ft (8m) focus distance.

At 50mm with infinite focus distance.

At 200mm with infinite focus distance.

Furthermore I'm really surprised, because I can focus very well on things far below the minimum focus distance (1,8m / 6ft).

At 50mm with 6ft (1,8m) focus distance and the object was about 1,3ft (40cm) far.

So, is it possible, that a different adaptor is neccessary or the focus of the lenses is completely malfunctioning/non-existent?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

adlersson wrote:
Hello!

I have recently obtained one of these lenses but I have some problem with focusing. I'm using these lenses on a Rebel EOS T3 body with an EF - FD converter. The problem is, that there is a very slight focusing effect (basically nothing) when shooting far objects. Here, I made some pictures:

Furthermore I'm really surprised, because I can focus very well on things far below the minimum focus distance (1,8m / 6ft).

At 50mm with 6ft (1,8m) focus distance and the object was about 1,3ft (40cm) far.

So, is it possible, that a different adaptor is neccessary or the focus of the lenses is completely malfunctioning/non-existent?

reposting to show pictures

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

adlersson wrote:
Hello!

Hmm... Do you have a macro filter in the front of your lens? If you do, you won't be able to focus to infinity.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

drjs wrote:
Hmm... Do you have a macro filter in the front of your lens? If you do, you won't be able to focus to infinity.

There is no filter at all.