Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Sigma 400mm f5.6 mirror
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 7:58 pm    Post subject: Sigma 400mm f5.6 mirror Reply with quote

There are a couple of previous threads on this lens that I could find, one from 2011 and one started by Klaus in Oct 2018.

http://forum.mflenses.com/sigma-400mm-f5-6-catadioptric-mirror-lens-t39033,highlight,%2Bsigma+%2B400mm.html
http://forum.mflenses.com/sigma-f5-6-400mm-cat-lens-t79904,highlight,%2Bsigma+%2B400mm.html

This mirror is rather scarce, I think sigma only made it for a relatively short period. The sigma history pages indicates two separate introductions, the first in 1983 and then again in 1985. There's no link to a specs page to either listing so I don't know precisely what the difference is, but trawling online listings I note a white version with a tripod mount and a black version without (mine).
I splashed out a bit on this one to satisfy my curiosity and to include it in my mega 400mm supertest (pending, but don't hold your breathe). PKM mount, a really nice minty one well worth the price in fact.

The light on the estuary on this day was really exceptional, bright, clear, almost translucent. Mirrors especially like that (more accurately they don't like the converse, consider leaving at home if the light is poor), and this sort of subject.

My usual test pics of the castle showed that resolution tends to unexceptional, pretty good but struggling really to keep up with the best contemporary 400mm refractive lenses.

At the RSPB this was the best of a sequence of pics of a robin.

You know, I am still seeking the ultimate combo of lens, light, opportunity that will deliver a pic of the castle that makes me go yeah, 3D pop wow! Hasn't happened yet... these shots from the bird reserve across the estuary always seem to be a bit... I dunno, muddy? Lots of tinkering with contrast, blacks etc while processing this.

I'll take it out again with the tamron SP 350mm next..

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't say "muddy;" I'd say flat.
The colors of the scene are a typical 'blah' part of the seasons, is all.
Or so it appears.

You Sigma appeared remarkably similar to my Soligor 500/f8, until I brought it out.
Similar in material aspects and condition, but obviously not of the same maker.

I really should get mine out some more for testing and use.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I absolutely agree with Craig, it's "the seasons". Every damn thing is flat and muddy.

Your images from this lens are impressive, that's a decent lens. Like 1 small

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2020 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the boat photos and the robin are quite nice, reckon this lens would be satisfactory for my needs (especially in light of it being compact, as it'd fit nicely in my smaller bag)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2020 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well personally I thought that probably the tamron adaptall SP 350mm f5.6 06B would show better than the sigma 400mm but (pentax K3-ii)...

Crops from one of the turrets on the castle.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2020 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some more pics with the sigma 400mm mirror. Pentax KS2.

This was the sharpest effort.

1:1 pixel peep crop.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Tamron is just slightly better, also my experience as I have both too, but the Sigma
is much better that its reputation on the market indeed!!

SIGMA 5.6/400mm: https://www.flickr.com/photos/kds315/albums/72157675012680808

TAMRON 5.6/350mm: https://www.flickr.com/photos/kds315/albums/72157706177592215

Admittedly I use the Tamron a bit more, as it is just such a pleasure to use Wink

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 Like 1 small

Seems like you get a good copy without haze. Congrats

Last edited by calvin83 on Sat Dec 09, 2023 2:33 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@klaus yes I concur exactly. Actually i found the sigma to be a bit frustrating to use, for some reason the focus is just easier to see with the tamron, even though if anything the focus movement is even more sensitive on the tamron (the focus rotation is longer but that's all used up and more by the closer focus).

@calvin you mean without haze...??? Perhaps you are thinking of the refractive apo sigma 400's they're the ones that always have haze.