Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Sigma 24mm f2.8 Super-Wide II - Loose front element
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:18 pm    Post subject: Sigma 24mm f2.8 Super-Wide II - Loose front element Reply with quote

Hi
Having read about the 28mm Mini-Wide in the Lens section it reminded me of my Super-Wide 24mm which I obtained about 9 months ago.
It had a bit of fungus in the front and I managed to open it up at the time and clean it nicely.
Gaining access to the front elements was simple. Use a friction tool to unscrew the name plate and then use a friction tool again to unscrew the retaining ring holding the front element. The three front elements are all stacked together with spacers and just lift out. However after putting it back together something was loose when shaking (not hard). It might have been like this before I took it apart but I hadn't noticed. I couldn't figure it out at the time so put it away.
I've just looked at it again and thought maybe I hadn't screwed the retaining ring down firmly enough. The ring was difficult to screw in and out smoothly and I noticed that the threads for this are away from the element so I applied a very small amount of lithium grease to the threads and I've certainly managed to screw it in more tightly. However there is still a small rattle. So using a lens cloth I gently pressed on to the front element to hold it in place and when shaking something is still loose. The spacers and elements all fit together logically so I don't think I've made a mistake putting it back together.
I gave it a quick test in the house and I can't notice any effects due to this but then I'm no expert when it comes to analyzing lens performance.
After all that preamble what I'd like to know is that maybe for this lens it's normal?? Or is this never normal for any lens??
Thanks

Last edited by Braddanman on Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:49 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same lens and you will be glad to hear that mine has a slight rattle too when gently shaken. I have owned it from new and it has never been disassembled. Smile

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haa, that's good to know. Thanks for your quick response. Now I know that I'll have to take it our for a proper run as it's been languishing in it's box as a fixer but it seems there's nothing to fix. Very Happy
The 28mm mini-wide is currently being praised highly in the lens section, how do you rate this lens?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Braddanman wrote:
Haa, that's good to know. Thanks for your quick response. Now I know that I'll have to take it our for a proper run as it's been languishing in it's box as a fixer but it seems there's nothing to fix. Very Happy
The 28mm mini-wide is currently being praised highly in the lens section, how do you rate this lens?

I like it a lot. The second best 24mm I have behind my Konica Hexanon AR 2.8/24.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

to make sure also check performance at infinity. in case the elements are not assembled correctly / tight enough performance at close focus may be fine but not so at infinity.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Sigma 24mm is one of my favourite lens (for film) as the shots are always sharp.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding the Mini-wides:

I, too, have seen the recent positive comments. Earlier, which is to say some months back, comments were less positive. I have tried, therefore, to focus my acquisition efforts on the Mini-wide II lenses. The II's seem consistently to rate better. That said, I did just recently pick up a Mini-wide, but only because the price was very, very low. My Mini-wide II lens, with M42 mount and very clean, was not cheap.

On the rattle: This is going to sound disrespectful and I don't mean it that way. I certainly intend no disrespect whatsoever to other forum members, and this is only just MHO:

But a lens that rattles would be of concern to me. I would be even more concerned if I knew it was one of the lens elements moving about. If I owned a "rattler" I would try to find the cause and I would attempt to fix it. I don't own a Super-wide yet. They are very expensive. But I have my eye on one and if I win it you can be sure it will get the "shake test" first thing. Smile

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really need your help. I have just purchased this lens a days ago but had to open it in order to clean it but had the elements mixed when reassembling it. Can anyone help me letting me know the position of the back elements and separators? Thanks a lot!