Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Sigma 200/3.5 Scalematic - same era as Sigma Mini-Wide 28
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 2:58 am    Post subject: Sigma 200/3.5 Scalematic - same era as Sigma Mini-Wide 28 Reply with quote

I pulled this thing out to give it a better reason to justify itself, as I have had a poor opinion of it for thirty years.

Note - the rubber band is to hold down the DOF preview/metering button, as I want to use all these M42 lenses in manual only. This one doesn't have a switch, just that button.

A late afternoon stroll pretty much confirmed my old opinions, but perhaps with a little more charity.

On the positive side - its a very light and compact 200mm, and it can focus very close. Its well made in spite of the light weight, and has survived some hard use. When stopped down (to 5.6 or less) it is as sharp as anything else.

On the negative side - It is very poor wide open, it has a very short main helical and is hard to focus precisely, even for distant subjects, especially at f/3.5, and it flares a lot, especially when its wide open, even from any bright object in the field of view.

Conclusion -

Its a decent lens to use at f/5.6 or less, and a good choice for flowers and similar subjects. It has possibilities as a "pictorial" lens for special effects portraits.

Typical quality of any shot at f/3.5 and "infinity"

The rest are at f/5.6 or f/8 -

The bird -

100% crop -

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luis, I would say it cleans up right handily at f5.6 and beyond! Love the
flower shots, and lots of detail in the bird shot. I got this Firefox plugin
for EXIF info, and like that the Pentax K100D gives the focal length of
the lens, something my Oly e300 doesn't do.

Thanks for sharing these!

Bill

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luis I have to say again . You are the master of cheap lenses. Those flowers are beautiful! My god man lets see some of your shots with top shelf Glass (or maybe thats what you show us). Cool

Andy

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes Luis, you can sell whatever lens with your samples
nice flowers shots

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! you are really show maximum of a lens, I have also this or similar 200mm lens my samples show crap lens Smile Your shoots are opposite, very nice!