Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Shutter tester android and i-phone
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 9:37 am    Post subject: Shutter tester android and i-phone Reply with quote

I just tried the "Shutter-Speed" app on my old cams.

Originally made for i-phones, it has been adapted to androids.
Installed on my android 4.4.4 the app seems to be ok, just by recording sounds of the shutter when operated.
What I find interesting is that the app gives metering corrections to do and that we can record these results in a file, naming it for each cam. So, on the field with one of our oldies, just have to check the file on the phone and adapt the settings due to shutter speed variations recorded.

There's also a plug which can be inserted into the jack earphones and measure the shutter speed using light measurement through the shutter when shot.

I ordered a plug and wait for it. I'll tell you what are the results in comparison with the sole sound recording.

Here is a link
http://www.photoplug.de/

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had seen that for Iphone, have now purchased the Android version, as when i looked it was not available

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 6:42 am    Post subject: Re: Shutter tester android and i-phone Reply with quote

Olivier wrote:

Installed on my android 4.4.4 the app seems to be ok, just by recording sounds of the shutter when operated.
What I find interesting is that the app gives metering corrections to do and that we can record these results in a file, naming it for each cam. So, on the field with one of our oldies, just have to check the file on the phone and adapt the settings due to shutter speed variations recorded.

There's also a plug which can be inserted into the jack earphones and measure the shutter speed using light measurement through the shutter when shot.

I ordered a plug and wait for it. I'll tell you what are the results in comparison with the sole sound recording.

Here is a link.

Which link you have shared here it doesn't work can please check and update it....thanks....

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 7:35 am    Post subject: Re: Shutter tester android and i-phone Reply with quote

jashuab wrote:
Olivier wrote:

Here is a link.

Which link you have shared here it doesn't work can please check and update it....thanks....

Welcome jashuab

http://www.photoplug.de/ has the app links:

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/shutter-speed/id560154244?l=de&ls=1 and https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.plug.photo.shutter_speed

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The link works for me, but here it is in newer version :

https://www.filmomat.eu/photoplug

Now I have an Iphone 11 and it doesn't have a jack plug anymore. So I have to use it on my old Sony Xperia...
Sometimes I find that "progress" is counterproductive seen from customers point of view.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Olivier wrote:

Now I have an Iphone 11 and it doesn't have a jack plug anymore. So I have to use it on my old Sony Xperia...
Sometimes I find that "progress" is counterproductive seen from customers point of view.

Got that right. One reason why I'm still using a 12yo laptop because of all the inputs it has, compared to modern ones that have maybe two --and no CD/DVD drive, either, which mine has.

I find it interesting that this app uses the sound of the shutter for measurement. I would have assumed it would have used the light transmitted across the shutter somehow. But I can see how using sound might have advantages.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:

Got that right. One reason why I'm still using a 12yo laptop because of all the inputs it has, compared to modern ones that have maybe two --and no CD/DVD drive, either, which mine has.

I find it interesting that this app uses the sound of the shutter for measurement. I would have assumed it would have used the light transmitted across the shutter somehow. But I can see how using sound might have advantages.

Hi Michael ! Smile

To be more precise, the app uses the phone microphone to register sound of the shutter, and you can buy the photo plug which, inserted into the jack plug, measures the light.

Have a nice day in Texas.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Olivier wrote:
cooltouch wrote:

kinemaster mods

Hi Michael ! Smile

To be more precise, the app uses the phone microphone to register sound of the shutter, and you can buy the photo plug which, inserted into the jack plug, measures the light.

Have a nice day in Texas.

Thanks Olivier for sharing informing about this app, sharing the links and explaining how it works. i appreciate your support.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks interesting though it wont be any good for my bottom loaders for speeds above 1/30th, nor could I use the photo plug on my phone. they need to make a new type

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 3:47 am    Post subject: Re: Shutter tester android and i-phone Reply with quote

Olivier wrote:

Here is a link

The link you have shared is invalid Null's Brawl Apk

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 7:22 am    Post subject: Re: Shutter tester android and i-phone Reply with quote

Anabella128 wrote:
Olivier wrote:

Here is a link

The link you have shared is invalid Null's Brawl Apk

Welcome Anabella128
Maybe you missed:
Olivier wrote:
The link works for me, but here it is in newer version :

https://www.filmomat.eu/photoplug

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2021 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nicee!!! PhotoPlug is so amazing when testing shutter speeds. I'd wish to use it on iOS devices, but it's not available, sad. whatsapp mod

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2021 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

miya12 wrote:
Nicee!!! PhotoPlug is so amazing when testing shutter speeds. I'd wish to use it on iOS devices, but it's not available, sad. nulls clash

Sorry? But it is available for the iOS too...You will find the app on the app store with the name "Shutter Speed". The only problem is that new Apple devices don't have a jack port. so, you will not be able to use the photo plug sensor in those devices.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Olivier wrote:
The link works for me, but here it is in newer version : FMWhatsapp Apk Now I have an Iphone 11 and it doesn't have a jack plug anymore. So I have to use it on my old Sony Xperia...

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris Johnson wrote:
Olivier wrote:
The link works for me, but here it is in newer version : FMWhatsapp Apk Now I have an Iphone 11 and it doesn't have a jack plug anymore. So I have to use it on my old Sony Xperia...

Welcome Chris Johnson!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2022 10:21 am    Post subject: Shutter speed Reply with quote

I was looking for the shutter speed on apple 6. Thanks for providing the link you provided. FM Whatsapp

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2022 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These apps do have their uses given their low cost (i.e. their accessibility), but a caveat is that they do not measure enough parameters to be sure the shutter is really OK.

For curtain shutters, as a minimum you will have to augment the app results with some actual shots at maximum shutter speed to see if there is any tapering, i.e. if the exposure is even across the whole frame. And if it isn't even, you don't really know which of the two curtains is running out of spec. And if both curtains are running slow the top speed exposure can still measure OK~ish but become very unpredictable in use, plus flash-sync would be compromised.

Ideally one would measure the traverse times of both the first and second shutter curtain, and exposure times at both edges of the frame to ensure the shutter is in spec.

Leaf shutters are a different story, they have other issues to look out for.

It's a shame the Phochron XA isn't in production anymore, that is a really useful and easy to use affordable shutter tester. They do sometimes turn up on the used market. A bit surprised I can't find any mention of it on mflenses...

Alternatively you can build your own tester with a 2-channel digital oscilloscope and a couple of photo-transistors or photo-diodes. This will allow you to test both shutter speed as well as curtain traverse times. Those scopes are really affordable these days; a low bandwith & low resolution model is more than adequate to set up for shutter testing.
I made one like that myself some years before I got the Phochron; I had used passive circuitry in the sensor (just three photo-diodes each in series with a resistor, one for the middle of the frame, two for either corner) so it wasn't super fast, but good enough for speeds up to 1/2000s. Add a few op-amps and you could potentially boost speed and sensitivity quite a lot.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2022 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RokkorDoctor wrote:
I made one like that myself some years before I got the Phochron; I had used passive circuitry in the sensor (just three photo-diodes each in series with a resistor, one for the middle of the frame, two for either corner) so it wasn't super fast, but good enough for speeds up to 1/2000s.

wow! that's clever, congrats !

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2022 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:
Chris Johnson wrote:
Olivier wrote:

Welcome Chris Johnson!

Same here lol I do not have a headphones jack.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2022 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:
Chris Johnson wrote:
Olivier wrote:
The link works for me, but here it is in newer version : GBWhatsapp Apk Now I have an Iphone 11 and it doesn't have a jack plug anymore. So I have to use it on my old Sony Xperia...

Welcome Chris Johnson!

I use Bluetooth headphones for the reason.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2022 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The photoplug is very good for amatuer use, gets you in the ballpark (+/- 0.5 stops)

I use it in an old Iphone4 that I converted into a music jukebox since I had a very good dock for it.
It works fine with the lightning-microphone adapter in the new iphones though

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2022 12:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Shutter tester android and i-phone Reply with quote

Olivier wrote:

Kinemaster Diamond
GBWhatsApp

Here is a link

Shutter Speed is a wonderful app. Even I have tried it on my Android and it works excellent.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2022 7:44 am    Post subject: Re: Shutter tester android and i-phone Reply with quote

Anabella128 wrote:
Olivier wrote:

Kinemaster Diamond
GBWhatsApp

Shutter Speed is a wonderful app. Even I have tried it on my Android and it works excellent.

Happy for that ! Smile

Titrisol70, I too keep an older IPhone for music and some apps. Wink

Sorry, I didn't answer before because I got no warning of answers to the topic.
Link for Photoplug is : https://www.filmomat.eu/photoplug