Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Show your squares open thread!
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fish4570 wrote:
speaking of squares, three rolls of 120 shanghai film arrived from china yesterday, but i have heard standard arabic numerals are not used for frame counting/spacing. any of y'all got a clue? hey, i couldn't pass up three rolls, delivered, for $8.

Not to worry, Paul. Chinese numerals are not hard to learn. (I studied Japanese, and they use the same ones)

Go here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_numerals

Cursor on down to where they show the columns of characters. If the film doesn't use Arabic numerals, it will use the numerals in the column labeled "Normal." The one that starts with: O - = etc.

Once you get past 10, they just stack, the way Arabics do, e.g. +- equals eleven, += equals twelve, etc.

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PA Dutch Market, Sunbury by Nesster, on Flickr

160NC + Autocord = happy-Nesster Smile

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nesster wrote: 160NC + Autocord = happy-Nesster

Nesster + 160NC + Autocord = happy viewer. Very Happy

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Larry, I thought the Yashica Mat and Diacord lenses were fine, but each one seems to miss something, in different directions. Fine as they are, I now understand the buzz about the Autocord Smile

Here's a random, off the cuff shot - i.e. I didn't meter nor did I have any special support for the camera (I didn't even have a strap on it yet)...

One way, or another by Nesster, on Flickr

"Pixel peep" the 1200 DPI scan:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/nesster/5773671330/sizes/o/in/photostream/

The bokeh can get busy, but this can be controlled... I no longer see a need to try a Rollei (but I'm sure I will, sometime).

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jussi, excellent work, love the effortless detail in these.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SKYfe by Nesster, on Flickr

Autocord, Ektar 100

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice symmetrical comp here Jussi.
The red is booming in this shot. Ektar ehe?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, very nice Autocord shots, Jussi. What would you say is lacking with the Mat and Diacord that the Autocord has? Better lens sharpness, i.e., resolution? BTW, those reds "scream" Ektar to me.

Having owned several Rolleiflexes over the years, I can tell ya, that in terms of the 3.5 ones, you're not missing anything. I've owned 3.5 Rolleis with Schneiders and with Zeisses and I think the Xenars are better than the Tessars, but the Yashica Mats I've owned are just as good, if not better. Now, the 2.8 Rolleis, that's a different story. They have a certain presence that's hard for me to describe -- almost like a daguerreotype -- that I haven't achieved with any other camera.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michael, I'm thinking along the same lines, what Do I Get with the Autocord that's lacking with the Mat and Diacord? I would have to do some direct comparisons - same shot, same exposure sort of thing - to really see what's what... which tends to end up in confusion and error Very Happy

Whatever impression I've formed, if I look again I find exceptions. So I'm calling it a dead heat, image quality wise. Tentatively Wink The basic impression is that the Dia lens draws things with a more solid line, the Mat with more roundness, and the Auto is somewhere in the middle.

Usability and build quality wise - The Autocord is the nicest. The Mat 124G transport can have hiccups (I bought it from Mark Hama, so it should be in good service)... and the Diacord makes you cock the shutter separately, which is less convenient and error prone. Maybe some day I'll send the Diacord for a CLA and see how smooth it can be. The Autocord as CLA'd is buttery smooth to use.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no new squares yet, but i have made six shots today on the roll of shanghai gp3 in my yashica A. maybe by mid-week i'll have the roll finished and processed, depending on how chemo goes ... Laughing

oh yeah, the gp3 backing uses regular numerals; they're just a little hard to see in the red window because of the dark background. the dots that descend in size as a numeral approaches are quite easy to see ...

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hardly can wait, Paul, that all is exotic, learning to count in Chinese and all Wink

Here's something from the Bessa 66 in 2008, expired Fuji 160S

Weeks 508 by Nesster, on Flickr

Diacord, Kodak T-max 400:

the window of perception by Nesster, on Flickr

Yashica Mat 124G, expired Fuji 160S also from ~2008 or maybe '09

the wine glasses at the top of the stairs by Nesster, on Flickr

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Certo Super Sport Dolly with Victar lens. Expired Fuji 160NPS or possibly 160S

a squashed cone by Nesster, on Flickr

Autocord with Ektar 100

I can see the British from here by Nesster, on Flickr

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nesster wrote:
Usability and build quality wise - The Autocord is the nicest. The Mat 124G transport can have hiccups

I kinda specifically avoided the 124G when I bought another Mat recently. I bought a new 124G back in the mid-1980s and my impression of it was it sort of had a plasticky feel to it even though it took great pics. So my latest mat is the 124 -- no G. It seems to be built more solidly, although Yashica's official claim is that the only difference is gold contacts for the battery, I think? But it seems to go deeper than that. I had to dismantle my 124 when I first bought it -- a rear element had a bit of fungus and the only way to get to it was to take the front standard off. So it gave me a good peek at the innards, which seemed quite robust to me.

BTW, thanks for the evaluations. I guess the Autocord is another camera I should put on my list of items I eventually need to get. Dang things are pricey on eBay, though.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found a few more B&W images lurking on my hard drive that I haven't posted to this thread yet. I think I might have posted one or two of them in other threads, but I don't mind the repeats if you don't.

All the following images were taken with a Yashica Mat 124, using Kodak 400TX, and developed in D76.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice results there, Michael! I didn't manage to get such good grain when I tried 400TX in D76 (but I got some nice drying stains instead Laughing )

Honestly, I woulda bought an older Mat but my daddy gene kicked in: with a wee tear in me eye I thought daughter would end up with it, so I figured I'd be over protective and give her the built in metering Wink

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Jussi,

Huh, I don't do anything special when drying. In fact, I don't really do anything special post developer. I don't use a stop bath -- I just rinse the film for about two or three minutes after developing. And I use Kodak's plain old fixer that comes in the yellow package. I fix for about 8 minutes, then I rinse the film for 20 to 30 minutes in running water. Then I use a sponge I bought from the camera store for wiping purposes and I wipe the film down good, then hang it from a coat hanger in my bathroom. And that's it. About as low-tech as you can get it.

I've had a couple of odd occurrences with my film, but in both cases I was able to track it down to the way I had developed it.

As for the Mat, well, that's another reason why I bought a 124, and not a G. It has the meter, which I find to be accurate, but which I use only if I don't have a hand-held one available. But more importantly the 124 is built more like the old ones than the G (built from 1968 to 1971). Check out Matt Denton's blog page where he compares the two -- a pretty fair write-up, imo:

http://www.mattdentonphoto.com/cameras/yashicamat_124.html

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 5:33 pm    Post subject: Bronica SQ-A, 180PS Reply with quote

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bronica SQA, 105 f3.5, Acros100, WD2D

Gary

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love that second, Gary. Looks like a great film/developer/lens/shooter
combo! Smile I ordered some Legacy Pro 100 in 35mm which is supposed to
be Acros. Gonna try it with Rodinal, me-too Rodinal by Compard. Is that
a Pryo type dev you're using?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Kat. WD2D is John Wimberly's pyro formula. It is available from Photographers' Formulary and Freesyle. I don't know if it is any better than other pyro formulas, but it takes standard fixer so you don't have to have two kinds.

I like the results from Acros. The base is very thin, though, and I find it hard to load on reels without wrinkling it.

I bought some Rodinal from Freestyle to use on Legacy Pro. My results were pretty good, but I like the pyro better.

Gary

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hummm, I'm liking your results, too. Well, I just put in an order for
the Rodinal, but there are some other films I want to try with it as well.
GPS-100 is some flimsy film to load, I get those damn crescent
buckles every once in awhile. After developing, it looks like Acros, backing
is very clear.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bronica SQA, Arista EDU WD2D+

Bronica SQA, Acros 100, WD2D+

Gary

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 4:44 pm    Post subject: From the travel to the North Reply with quote

Bronica SQ-A, 50S, Portra 160VC

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yashica A, fixed Yashikor 80/3.5, Shanghai GP3 (aieeeeeeeee! the curl!) 100 ISO, D-76 1+1, 12 minutes at 74F, negative scan Epson 4490:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys, so I was away in Central America for a while, then in Japan for some more whiles, and after I got back, have been busy doing various things, one of which was developing and scanning all those rolls of film Very Happy

Anyway, here are some of the better "squares" I've shot in the past several months.

Wagon on the Hill by Dr. RawheaD, on Flickr

Sugatami-no-Ike by Dr. RawheaD, on Flickr

Another Lonely Christmas Tree by Dr. RawheaD, on Flickr

Live together, die alone. by Dr. RawheaD, on Flickr

Big Bridge in Blue by Dr. RawheaD, on Flickr

Tokiwa Pond by Dr. RawheaD, on Flickr