Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

SHOW US YOUR CAMERAS!!
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2022 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doc Sharptail wrote:

This is the kind of image that results with no user input into the camera- simple "A" operation in extremely harsh lighting.
I am still experimenting with metering modes as well. I think the camera was set for spot metering here (IIRC), and there was little in the way of allowance for exposure.

Thanks for this information! In fact, I had been testing the original D800 just when it came out, as well as many others later on (such as A7R, A7RII, Leica S2 and M9, Fuji GFX and more). Of course the sensors of these newer cameras have 1-3 EV "better" sensors than the A900 (in RAW mode). Strange enough, the A900 JPGs often look much better than the JPGs of all the others tested, and even better than anything I could get from RAWs of the other cameras).

I know for sure (since I was in close contact with Sony around 2008-2011) that the A900 has a special dedicated chip for its "DRO" feature, unlike later Sony FF cameras. As you know Sony was (is) world leader for professional video (TV) cameras, and back then they did use "dynamic range optimization" technology developed for TV in the A900 as well. It's a real pity they didn't use that chip in later FF cameras any more ...

S

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2022 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevemark wrote:

Thanks for this information! In fact, I had been testing the original D800 just when it came out, as well as many others later on (such as A7R, A7RII, Leica S2 and M9, Fuji GFX and more). Of course the sensors of these newer cameras have 1-3 EV "better" sensors than the A900 (in RAW mode). Strange enough, the A900 JPGs often look much better than the JPGs of all the others tested, and even better than anything I could get from RAWs of the other cameras).

I know for sure (since I was in close contact with Sony around 2008-2011) that the A900 has a special dedicated chip for its "DRO" feature, unlike later Sony FF cameras. As you know Sony was (is) world leader for professional video (TV) cameras, and back then they did use "dynamic range optimization" technology developed for TV in the A900 as well. It's a real pity they didn't use that chip in later FF cameras any more ...

S

I am not so sure the D-810's sensor is that far off the mark.
There are more than a few internet rumblings that the ex-speed-4 is actually a Sony sensor.
I have been unable to find direct confirmation though...
There were earlier nikon variants with Sony sensors that were actually confirmed by people removing them to find the labeling.

-D.S.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2022 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dual.

Last edited by Doc Sharptail on Sun Mar 27, 2022 5:17 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2022 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another Nikkormat:

This one is an FT-3, which I haven't seen before in person.
The bottom plate is awfully banged up, and the battery cap area is bent as well.
Will try later to find out about batteries.
This is an early variant of the a/i aperture indexing system- without an aperture window yet.
I'm not sure 100% if the FT-3 was the first a/i camera or not, and have some reading to do.
The aperture arm folds out of the way as it should, after a bit of coaxing.
It was likely never used, and probably dusted shut.

Top plate controls.
This seems to be a very nice camera.
The finder looks a bit brighter than the FT-2...
This one has it's eye-piece ring, which is always a good thing.
We shall see Wink

-D.S.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2022 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The meter works, as does everything else.

I'll run a roll of c-41 through it in the future, just to see what it does.

-D.S.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2022 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Voigtlander Bessaflex TM

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2022 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DigiChromeEd wrote:
Voigtlander Bessaflex TM

Thank You Dog

that was the newest m42 body ever made?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2022 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems to be an interesting re-work of the Cosina CT-1 chassis.

The almost up to date electronics and metering in it should be very good by film camera standards.

-D.S.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2022 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2022 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bessa R2

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2022 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2022 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's in very nice shape!

Also get a kick out of your tag-line signature...

-D.S.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2022 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doc Sharptail wrote:
That's in very nice shape!

Also get a kick out of your tag-line signature...

-D.S.

Thank you. I have two of them, here is a shot of the 'twins'. Smile

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2022 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2022 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gorgeous glass!

Hope they're meant to be shooters...

-D.S.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2022 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another one from the waste bin of a local photo shop, Contaflex:

While I don't "actively" collect German cameras from the 1950s, sometimes they are included in a lot of other stuff, or I pick them up from the waste bin. Usually there are flaws; especially those with leave shutter (read: most) are prone to defects.

The Contaflex shown here is the last model ever produced - Contaflex Super BC. Well, there was also the Super S, but technically the S and BC were identical (only labelling had changed).

Unlike all other Contaflexes, the Super BC / Super S has a CdS metering and thus needs a battery (mercury, of course). Unlike all other Contaflexes, its light metering is a true TTL (throiugh the lens) metering, and unlike all other Contaflexes it had an automatic exposure mode (shutter priority).

My sample seems to be working; but I have not yet tested its automatic mode and correct exposure.

Along with my Contaflex II and Contaflex IV, the "new" Contaflex Super BC certainly looks good on the shelf Wink

S

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2022 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2022 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2022 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2022 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DigiChromeEd wrote:

That's a pretty capable set, albeit not exactly "manual focus" Wink. Both lenses - the MinAF 28-85mm as well as the MinAF 70-210mm are based on the Minolta MD 3.5-4.5/28-85mm and MD 4/70-210mm, respectively (they share the same optics). The 28-85mm, along with the MinAF 4/35-70mm, has an aspherical element. These days ASPH elements are absolutely common, but in 1985 they were a sensation. in addition both zooms are "full metal", and manual focusing is direct and smooth.

The "longer cousins" of these MinAF lenses - the MinAF 3.5-4.5/35-70mm (I) and the 4.5-5.6/75-300mm are very much underrated as well. They are equally well built, and especially the 75-300mm was much better than contemporary manual focus 5.6/100-300mm zooms (e. g. Canon nFD or Minolta MD-III).

The 600si "classic" was an experimental camera - after years of promoting "computer-like" cameras with "Colani design" (remember the T90!) Minolta launched the "classic" style which later was successfully refined in the Minolta Dynax/Maxxum 9 and 7 as well as in the Dynax 7D and "Dynax 9D" aka Sony A900, The 600si calssic was a real breakthrough!

S

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2022 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevemark wrote:
Another one from the waste bin of a local photo shop, Contaflex:

While I don't "actively" collect German cameras from the 1950s, sometimes they are included in a lot of other stuff, or I pick them up from the waste bin. Usually there are flaws; especially those with leave shutter (read: most) are prone to defects.

The Contaflex shown here is the last model ever produced - Contaflex Super BC. Well, there was also the Super S, but technically the S and BC were identical (only labelling had changed).

Unlike all other Contaflexes, the Super BC / Super S has a CdS metering and thus needs a battery (mercury, of course). Unlike all other Contaflexes, its light metering is a true TTL (throiugh the lens) metering, and unlike all other Contaflexes it had an automatic exposure mode (shutter priority).

My sample seems to be working; but I have not yet tested its automatic mode and correct exposure.

Along with my Contaflex II and Contaflex IV, the "new" Contaflex Super BC certainly looks good on the shelf Wink

S

The old German cameras were readily available for cheap here, back in the late 70's, if you leave Leica out of the picture.
I had 2 Voightlanders- one was a tlr and the other was a Vitessa.
I held neither for long- they got traded off on more interesting useless stuff.., Razz
Sometimes I wonder about the glass I let go of without seriously trying out first...

-D.S.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2022 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevemark wrote:

S

Here they are Wink

S

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2022 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They must handle nicely with all the angled surfaces.
I like the cold-shoe treatment done on the first two~ efficiency first, looks second Wink

-D.S.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2022 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well ... the thread title says "show YOUR cameras" - but this one is not mine:

Today I had the rare opportunity to visit a friend and Canon collector who has a beautiful collection of Canon FD and new FD stuff,
including this F-1 equipped with the rare and expensive FD 1.2/55mm ASPHERICAL. Beautiful camera, beautiful lens, and beautiful lens cap!

I was allowed to take pictures of his Canon FD/nFD lens collection, and those images will be published soon on artaphot, adding a "Canon"
section to the existing Minolta and Konica sections. It's really great to have such knowledgeable persons contributing to artaphot,
and soon we'll have first hand information on rare items such as the nFD 2.8/14mm, the nFD 1.4/24mm L, the FD 1.2/55mm ASPHERICAL
and the FD 1.2/85mm ASPHERICAL. I'm really happy about this collaboration and look forward to publlishing also about Canon FD ... Wink

S

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2022 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevemark wrote:
Beautiful camera, beautiful lens, and beautiful lens cap!

...soon we'll have first hand information on rare items such as the nFD 2.8/14mm, the nFD 1.4/24mm L, the FD 1.2/55mm ASPHERICAL
and the FD 1.2/85mm ASPHERICAL. I'm really happy about this collaboration and look forward to publlishing also about Canon FD ... Wink

S

That is a nice camera and lens set up!

Will be looking for your commentary on artaphot.

-D.S.