Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Show off your rare lens
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 11:51 am    Post subject: Show off your rare lens Reply with quote

Hi all,

I saw a rarity classification list for Leica collectors on an auction site. I wonder if there is such a list for rare lenses?

I am always interested in rare or even unique lenses especially China made optics before 1980's as sometimes they could be found for very reasonable prices. I will show you some in the following threads. Pls also share with us your rare lense images. According to the list, this Chinese Great Wall brand cine prime is a R9 class item.

Cheers

Zhang XK

R1 Usual
R2 Sightly unusual
R3 Unusual
R4 Very Unusual
R5 Rare
R6 Very Rare
R7 Exceptionally Rare
R8 Exhibition Item
R9 Almost Unique
R10 The impossible.

Wink

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to have one of these:

Apparently only one batch of 1000 lenses was made, and fewer than 10 are known to exist today. Unfortunately, I never used it before selling it.

Last edited by Mos6502 on Fri May 13, 2016 11:58 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An industrial lens made by Shanghai Nr.3 Camera Factory in 1979. These are Chinese counterpart of Nikon UMN lenses.
I think it is a R7 item.

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mos6502 wrote:
I used to have one of these:

Apparently only one batch of 1000 lenses was made, and fewer than 10 are known to exist today. Unfortunately, I never used it before selling it.

Many thanks for sharing. Is there a site for these rare lenses? Some very rare lense already demand very high prices.

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another Shanghai made industrial lens for computer chips.(WS means micro reduction in Chinese pinyin) It could be made in 1972(1949+23). I think it could be a R7, or R8 item in exceptionally new condition.

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I kind of collect prewar and wartime Zeiss and Meyer stuff, having 1/3 or half of the family and occassionally chase the rest of them.

I am neither interested in Leica nor Chinese lenses, in fact, I'm selling a rare Trinol Anastigmat 105 Leica M39 item on Ebay right now.

Where my lenses would be fitting into your chart I do not know and do not care, as I rather enjoy its performance and also making money investments that may prove to be right or wrong after a certain period of time Whoo Turtle

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be more specific to fulfill your question, I think my rarest item sits in the center of the picture below as I've seen the item only one time in my life (and I think I'm watching the scene closely). I will probably have rarer items somewhere at my serviceman etc. just not knowing to be so, this one crossed my mind because 400mm really can't hide to my eyes.

(Looks like I do collect some German postwars too, lol)

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Chinese cine zoom lens 25-80/2.5 in Arriflex standard mount. I hope someone could show me another one of this. It has a s/n of 72001. Probably one of a kind?

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marek wrote:
I kind of collect prewar and wartime Zeiss and Meyer stuff, having 1/3 or half of the family and occassionally chase the rest of them.

I am neither interested in Leica nor Chinese lenses, in fact, I'm selling a rare Trinol Anastigmat 105 Leica M39 item on Ebay right now.

Where my lenses would be fitting into your chart I do not know and do not care, as I rather enjoy its performance and also making money investments that may prove to be right or wrong after a certain period of time Whoo Turtle

Thanks for sharing. Thank you!
I am only interested in a special period of time for Chinese products because some ruling elite officals said that those lazy engineers and workers of state-owned factories did almost nothing before the reforms. It is not 100% true. China was almost industrialiszed before the reforms of 1980's.

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A very rare Chinese cine macro lens. I have seen only another one over the years. It is a very fast lens, but I don't know why a cine macro lens needs to be so fast.

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another Great Wall brand 35mm cine prime 20mm F2 in Arriflex standard mount. Made in late 1970's. It was mixed used with Zeiss, Cooke lenses by Chinese movie makers then. Like 1 small It is more often seen than the 35/1,28 lens made by the same Nr.608 factory in Beijing. The lens cost about 20 times of a normal Chinese 50/2 lens for photography.

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A very rare Chinese military use mirror lens, 1000mm F6.7 in Hassyblad mount. only 20 some such lenses were made, and some are still in service. The lens weighs about 3,000 grams only.

An image shot with this lens mounted on a Canon 300D.
A Chinese TV program showed this lens in use. I am not sure if it was exactly the same lens?

Rolling Eyes

Last edited by kievuser on Fri May 13, 2016 3:30 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very rare f1.8 (!!!) 45mm $$.$$$ quartz fluorite lens, suitable for UV (ultraviolet) light, fastest I ever saw in my life.

Very short BFL (back focal length) of just 7mm (0.28"), made for image intensifier use

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another Hassyblad mount medium format prime lens for the same application by military. Rarely seen for sale. Quality is very high. It is a 311mm F5 lens with a dedicated red filter. Both lenses has no s/n.

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:
Very rare f1.8 (!!!) 45mm $$.$$$ quartz fluorite lens, suitable for UV (ultraviolet) light, fastest I ever saw in my life.

Very short BFL (back focal length) of just 7mm (0.28"), made for image intensifier use

We are lucky to have you here on the forum. Like 1 Thank you! I need more education for those rare lenses. Is this a very expensive lens?

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

About as rare as anything in my cabinet gets. Production number depends on how many name rings you want to rope into the count.

I think Luis said this was rare? That was enough to prevent me from sacrificing it to a rocket launch.

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kievuser wrote:
kds315* wrote:

We are lucky to have you here on the forum. Like 1 Thank you! I need more education for those rare lenses. Is this a very expensive lens?

Yes, very expensive $$.$$$ (5 digits)

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think these Chinese normal lenses belong to the R1 or R2 class only ,although you don't see them everyday. There are many versions of the Biotar 58/2 copy lens with various brand names. The PK mount 50/2 normal lens cost about RMB 150 yuan, but the Great Wall 20/2 cine prime lens cost about 3,000 +yuan! These are very sharp lenses same as some Japanese normal lenses.

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Deep wrote:
About as rare as anything in my cabinet gets. Production number depends on how many name rings you want to rope into the count.

I think Luis said this was rare? That was enough to prevent me from sacrificing it to a rocket launch.

Thanks Mike Deep! Like 1 I have no idea how rare they are, Are they rangefinder lenses? I see there is a Zuiko 75-150/4 zoom in your lens list. I have a silver nosed early one, and I am very happy with its performance although it cost me only US$ 30.

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think my Taylor-Hobson Cooke Kinic f/1.8 1 inch might be either an r9 or a unique one, if only because of its matching Kodacolor filter (either way, I haven't found this exact lens online or in real life again).

Edit: A while back Luis said this might be a rare lens, it's my Tokyo-Koki Tele-Tokina 135mm f/2.8. I believe it was only rare because it seemed to have a matching 2x tele-converter (along with a case that fit both), and because it was built differently than the other 135mm f/2.8 Tele-Tokinas. (Matching tele-converter not pictured.)

Last edited by RubberFlubber on Fri May 13, 2016 5:41 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't suppose this HAIOU - 64. 58 / 2 is exactly rare in the strict sense that the Seagull factory probably made many 1000's of these Biotar copies, but it isn't a common lens outside China.
It's actually rather good, but very heavy. The body of the lens appears to be mainly brass rather than aluminium.

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloydy wrote:
I don't suppose this HAIOU - 64. 58 / 2 is exactly rare in the strict sense that the Seagull factory probably made many 1000's of these Biotar copies, but it isn't a common lens outside China.
It's actually rather good, but very heavy. The body of the lens appears to be mainly brass rather than aluminium.

There are many versions of this lens. I think yours with the bird logo is an uncommon early one. I will check the data base for sure. I believe that someone said that these lenses has lanthanum elements, so that it might be radio active?

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RubberFlubber wrote:
I think my Taylor-Hobson Cooke Kinic f/1.8 1 inch might be either an r9 or a unique one, if only because of its matching Kodacolor filter (either way, I haven't found this exact lens online or in real life again).

Edit: A while back Luis said this might be a rare lens, it's my Tokyo-Koki Tele-Tokina 135mm f/2.8. I believe it was only rare because it seemed to have a matching 2x tele-converter (along with a case that fit both), and because it was built differently than the other 135mm f/2.8 Tele-Tokinas. (Matching tele-converter not pictured.)

Thanks for sharing. The Cooke lens looks quite old and exotic. It must be a rare one. I also have a couple of RTH Cooke lenes that I don't see very often. I will take images of them and post on this thread later.
Many people mentioned Luis. Sorry for my ignorance. Is he an authority in rare lenses?

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A rare 80mm F1.0! Twilight lens made in late 1970's. DSW means TV twilight in Chinese pinyin. It also has a short registration distance of about 20mm. I don't know its original price, but these must be very expensive for its build quality. For comparison, a Leica 90/1 lens image from the flea-bay.

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The same factory in Fujian province also made a 200mm F1.4 twilight lens in the same year. I don't think they made 800 more such lenses in that year. 778xxx could mean August 1977? The lens sold on taobao a few months ago to an unknown buyer.Sad