Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Shots from the Tamron SP 70-210
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 9:51 pm    Post subject: Shots from the Tamron SP 70-210 Reply with quote

Shots from the Tamron SP f3.5 (Constant) 70-210mm
More and some 100% crops from the lens on
http://www.flickr.com/groups/tamronadaptall

Heavier than I look

Is this my good side?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent captures with an excellent lens! Congratulation!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are very sharp indeed, but a thing I noticed in all these Tamron samples, including "my" 28mm., the colors are always very cold.

The histograms of these two images, for instance, show a clear dominance of the blue channel in the shadows (first third of the histogram) and in the case of the pidgeon, in the whole left half of the histogram. The color rendition becomes balanced only after the half of the histogram.

If you compare for instance with the histogram of my Helios-44-2 photograph of Sirmione I published a few days ago:

http://img361.imageshack.us/img361/9315/sirmione200703048366sw0.jpg

You will see that the three colors in the Helios image are equally balanced throughout the entire spectrum of the histogram.

Of course I have no way of knowing if this cool dominance is due to the lens, to the daylight, or to Rob's personal preference for cool colors. But it's quite evident.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take a look on these pictures, I guess they are not cold.
http://www.mflenses.com/gallery/v/japenese/Tamron/tamron_sp_300/

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In your pictures the colors are more balanced.

But if you look at the histograms, you see that in most of them, the blue channel still gets a boost in the shadows, although in your pictures this is limited to only the leftmost part of the histogram.

I am curious to do a color test myself, I often have the sensation that the Japanese lenses boost the blue channel and sometimes also the green channel - or- they perhaps desaturate - or not saturate - the red and yellow channels.
Remember the color test I made for Peter some days ago?
I tested the Jupiter-37 and the Nikkor 2.8/135, and I obtained a similar result: the colors of the NIkkor lens were unbalanced, with greyer reds and yellows, while the colors of the Jupiter had a good saturation in all channels.

Maybe this is the reason why I and others prefer the Russian lenses - the color. Because as far as sharpness goes, Nikkors and Takumars and Tamron are all top notch.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
They are very sharp indeed, but a thing I noticed in all these Tamron samples, including "my" 28mm., the colors are always very cold.

The histograms of these two images, for instance, show a clear dominance of the blue channel in the shadows (first third of the histogram) and in the case of the pidgeon, in the whole left half of the histogram. The color rendition becomes balanced only after the half of the histogram.

If you compare for instance with the histogram of my Helios-44-2 photograph of Sirmione I published a few days ago:

http://img361.imageshack.us/img361/9315/sirmione200703048366sw0.jpg

You will see that the three colors in the Helios image are equally balanced throughout the entire spectrum of the histogram.

Of course I have no way of knowing if this cool dominance is due to the lens, to the daylight, or to Rob's personal preference for cool colors. But it's quite evident.

Interesting I have just checked that in my PS and it doesnt show it on my histograms they are fairly balanced. An 'Auto colour' adjustment makes the image really cold and blue. I also did a 'White point check on the blue levels, using the white feathers and the colour never moved. However I can see the picture could be seen as 'Cold colours'. The problem as I see it is reproducing a good grey on the bird, any move towards less blue or more red puts a cast on that colour which in life is a nautral grey. Either way it has nothing to do with the lens it is as you say my preference for the colour on this image.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never seen histogram just pictures itself,might be a mistake. One of my favourite lenses are Tamrons, we are lucky because if I found nice rare Russians I can pass to you Smile I found many Russian lenses are better than any others Jupiter 137 one of them that is true.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have Jupiter-11 black one ?