Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Shift-Lenses vs Software: some examples (TS-E 4/17mm L)
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2023 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Olivier wrote:
iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
and despite all the bloviation and bollocks....

I still think t/s lenses are obsolete in the digital world

Smile

Sure Ian.
But they are so cute and I like so much to operate them. Wink

That's fine because unlike some, you don't feel the need to start a whole new thread just to tell me I'm wrong for holding an opinion or to lecture me on how to express my opinions.

Obsolete things can, of course, be fun, I use them all the time....

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2023 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, arguments have been put forward from both sides, and everyone will have make up their own minds as to which is going to work better for them. In any case, I hope that some members at least have learnt something new from this discussion re. use of shift lenses vs PP in software.

Regardless of whether someone prefers to do perspective correction in the field using a shift lens, or in PP using software, some of the thoughts of Keith Cooper in the below video may be of interest to anyone hoping to work for architectural clients:

https://youtu.be/bl48-fyBsp4

He does go over some of the points brought up in the above discussion, and I know Ian will therefore disagree with some of Keiths findings (fair enough, Ian), but I would like to draw attention in particular to what Keith has to say at 6:50 onwards in the video, and again at 11:10, regarding the desirability (or not) of correcting converging vertical lines in architectural shots, in particular his experience of talking to the people in the marketing dept. of his architectural clients vs. those in the finance dept. This dilemma is irrespective of what methodology is then used for correcting perspective distortions, either using a shift lens or PP.

He also expresses some thoughts re. the predictability of the results, and the ability to assess in the field what a final shot will look like when utilising a shift lens.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2023 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RokkorDoctor wrote:
Well, arguments have been put forward from both sides, and everyone will have make up their own minds as to which is going to work better for them. In any case, I hope that some members at least have learnt something new from this discussion re. use of shift lenses vs PP in software.

Regardless of whether someone prefers to do perspective correction in the field using a shift lens, or in PP using software, some of the thoughts of Keith Cooper in the below video may be of interest to anyone hoping to work for architectural clients:

https://youtu.be/bl48-fyBsp4

He does go over some of the points brought up in the above discussion, and I know Ian will therefore disagree with some of Keiths findings (fair enough, Ian), but I would like to draw attention in particular to what Keith has to say at 6:50 onwards in the video, and again at 11:10, regarding the desirability (or not) of correcting converging vertical lines in architectural shots, in particular his experience of talking to the people in the marketing dept. of his architectural clients vs. those in the finance dept. This dilemma is irrespective of what methodology is then used for correcting perspective distortions, either using a shift lens or PP.

He also expresses some thoughts re. the predictability of the results, and the ability to assess in the field what a final shot will look like when utilising a shift lens.

The highly respected Linhof, in one of her architectural photography manuals, suggested the practice of leaving a slight undercorrection of falling lines, because images with a slight convergence appear less unnatural to the observer. I have worked a lot in architectural photography for publications, photogrammetry and art-historical censuses. In those days I used two Sinar Norma (4x5 and 5x7 inches, still in my possession), and a nice Linhof Teknica 6x9 kit, which I unfortunately sold. In 35mm I had the Nikkor 28 PC 1:3.5 first, and the Leica/Schneider 28mm later. My philosophy was to correct to perfection images destined for technical instruments, such as the kits of scientific books, while I often adopted Linhof's suggestion for postcards, generic urban images, or in any case photographs with some aesthetic value, because excessive stretching (whether optical or digital) always bothered me a little, especially because of the linear distortion (in the sense of that stretching which makes the window on the top floor appear much larger than the one on the first floor, for example) implied by these acrobatics. In reportage, street, and the like, I find it an 'old-fashioned' laziness to correct the lines. In any case, I have been relying exclusively on digital correction for many years, but if I had to tackle a big job, I think I would go back to browsing the Canon catalogue on the TS-E page.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2023 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very very interesting thread. Thank you all. We've learnt a lot about different ways to straighten a certain type of picture (I believe things are very clear now). Nicely spiced up by different personnalities. Let's be thankfull we're all different, and let's learn from each other more more about photographic possibilities.
Now where was I...

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2023 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ultrapix wrote:
The highly respected Linhof, in one of her architectural photography manuals, suggested the practice of leaving a slight undercorrection of falling lines, because images with a slight convergence appear less unnatural to the observer. I have worked a lot in architectural photography for publications, photogrammetry and art-historical censuses. In those days I used two Sinar Norma (4x5 and 5x7 inches, still in my possession), and a nice Linhof Teknica 6x9 kit, which I unfortunately sold. In 35mm I had the Nikkor 28 PC 1:3.5 first, and the Leica/Schneider 28mm later. My philosophy was to correct to perfection images destined for technical instruments, such as the kits of scientific books, while I often adopted Linhof's suggestion for postcards, generic urban images, or in any case photographs with some aesthetic value, because excessive stretching (whether optical or digital) always bothered me a little, especially because of the linear distortion (in the sense of that stretching which makes the window on the top floor appear much larger than the one on the first floor, for example) implied by these acrobatics. In reportage, street, and the like, I find it an 'old-fashioned' laziness to correct the lines. In any case, I have been relying exclusively on digital correction for many years, but if I had to tackle a big job, I think I would go back to browsing the Canon catalogue on the TS-E page.

I tend to agree. Fully-corrected images always look unnatural to me. But I guess like Keith suggests, if the people who write the pay-cheque insist on full correction, that's what you'll end up doing.

Personally I also tend to under-correct a little. Fully corrected UWA shots look really unnatural, unless they are wall-size reproductions designed to be viewed from a viewpoint corresponding with the centre of perspective, e.g. as you walk through the door into the entrance hall of a museum etc.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2023 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:

Poor ol'Millom Tower seems to be gout-ridden ...Laugh 1 ... pretty crooked indeed!

For those who don't know: Millom Clocktower looks like that (image not mine) ...

RokkorDoctor wrote:
The image above doesn't look right at all to my eyes.
To my eyes, there is still significant uneven angular distortion throughout the frame, which is not the building itself as the first shot shows it is built perfectly square. The degree of incremental foreshortening still visible as you move towards the top of the frame simply wouldn't be present in a normal rectilinear planar shot taken with a shift lens.

These problems - when using software for stitching & perspective correction - are well known to me: They are the reason I went for shift lenses back in 2016. I had spent too much time using software for "correcting" images, often (but not always) with doubtful results.

RokkorDoctor wrote:

I'm sure that could be corrected on a stitched image in PP if required

Probably not. To many small and difficult-to-correct errors. More on that later.

RokkorDoctor wrote:
but that would take even more time and by using a shift lens you simply don't have to worry about any of that in PP.

Absolutely. If possible at all ... it would take a lot of time ...

RokkorDoctor wrote:
... I am not yet convinced the image PP software gets that right, at least not without significant extra work.

E.g., the round clock face above exhibits vertical compression (i.e. foreshortening); in a level-camera UWA or shift-lens shot where the image plane is kept parallel to the front of the building, the clock face would still be perfectly round. A perfect sphere on the other hand (so not a flat round clock-face), would be imaged vertically stretched in a shift lens shot, yet still be perfectly round in a stitched shot. If the image above had been taken with a single shot looking up using a WA or UWA lens, then a true perspective shift in PP would automatically adjust for the required removal of that foreshortening when removing the convergence. When also using stitching, it appears to get rather more difficult judging from the results above.

Precisely described. I have observed the same, but couldn't have written it English.

RokkorDoctor wrote:
I'm not saying one method is better than the other, but if a rectilinear planar imaging is required (and most architectural clients would insist on that), a shift-lens or technical camera with rise & fall would seem a quicker and easier option to me... (and for a prof. photographer surely time = money, incl. image PP).

Absolutely. If you have to shoot 1000 images of 120 churches within a certain time frame (for publishing a large 640 p two volume architectural book), the answer is clear. Before answering here I have - for the sake of accuracy - chosen three subject, to compare software vs shiftlens again. The results were as follows:

1) Shiftlens: 20-40 s from starting the camera until final result; at home 2-4 min for developing the RAWs and adjusting colors, profiles and the like. Result: 43 MP high res image. Totally <5 min per image.

2) Stiching / software solution: 8 - 16 photos reqired (2-3 min), 8-16 photos developed (10-20 min), all photos resized to a smaller size (2-4 min), stiching (5 min; using photoshop if the resolution of the final image is reduced to 12MP - otherwise stiching would take much longer!), perspective correction (5-10 min). Totally at least 30 min per image if stiching works.

Quite often there are hickups, though:

The red one is especially cumbersome. The roof of the Jesuitenkirche (Church of the Jesuits) doesn't fall down to the right; somehow the software made a grave mistake: Impossible to correct in PP, the only solution may be "try another software". Believe me - sometimes I tried three or four different softwares, and all did produce real crap.

Here's the shift image. No problems of course. Finding the correct position, putting the lens in the "8 mm shift" position, and taking the image took me less than minute. And ist was fun. Sitting for hours in front of computer and hoping (sometimes in vain) that things will work out properly is not fun.

I rememer taking images at S. Michele Archangelo in Perugia / Italy (for a large format calendar). The images intended for stiching were taken carefiully, using the special Manfrotto 410 head for architecture. The irregular shapes of the Roman arcs and columns were too much for any software. Since the church is round (originally a Roman temple) I finally decided to go with a fisheye image (and not with the 17mm L shift). Look at the three capitals. I reality they are basically identical. The software distorts them to ... i dunno what:

RokkorDoctor wrote:
Let's not forget this whole debate started with your assertion (in another thread) that shift-lenses are outdated and no longer relevant. I am yet to be convinced; it seems to me that there are still plenty of situations where shift-lenses (and technical cameras with rise & fall) are relevant, esp.

* for professionals with architectural clients who won't accept any funny image distortions/artefacts,
* where time = money, and
* where the final image might not need the high-resolution of stitched imaging (e.g. project & sales brochures etc.)

The first two points clearly apply to me; the third one is a bit stange in my opinion. 43 MP from a A7RII are plenty of resolution for eveythin I ever made, including 40x60 cm calendar images and large high quality illustrated books (the A7RII files result in 45 x 67.5 cm @ 300 dpi).

So much for today.

Later on, in another posting, I will explain where I do use software correction for adjusting the perspective Wink

S

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2023 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cut the bullshit and point out exactly what is 'crooked' in that image:

It's not perfect, it's not a natural rendering either, because it's been altered.

But to say it is 'crooked' and 'has gout' is just childish bullshit.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2023 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK; I'll leave it to Stephan to explain his issues with the image, but I'll point out the distortions my eyes are seeing in this image. However, you will have to excuse my "bloviation" since you asked me to explain exactly where I am seeing issues. I've drawn a few of my own lines over it to help explain:

First the bottom half of the tower, green lines. I have drawn these parallel to the top of the "The CLOCK TOWER" sign as well as the base of the archway foundation blocks, both of which you would expect to be level in a building. The slight convergence to the right of both green lines suggests a vanishing point for the bottom half of the facade far to the right. This is consistent with the image having been taken slightly from the left of the center-line of the tower, as also evidenced by the way in which the archway and actual doors are not lining up. The effect is subtle, but it is the top-half of the tower where things get more obvious.

For the top half of the facade, I have drawn some blue lines through a few architectural features that should also be level, and on-line images by other people & Google street view show to be level indeed. These lines implies a vanishing point for the top half of the facade some distance to the left of the tower, which would be consistent with having taken the image slightly from the right of the center-line of the tower.

Having an apparent vanishing point to the left for the top half of the tower, and one to the right for the bottom half of the tower, makes the tower look twisted. Again, other on-line images of this tower show this not to be the case. This type of inconsistency would not occur with use of either a rectilinear UWA lens, or shift lens.

The yellow lines show a problem with the domed roof section of the tower. There is foreshortening of the clock face, evidenced by the perfectly round yellow circle I have drawn around it. A shift lens, used with the appropriate amount of shift, would render this clock face perfectly round. In fact, not only vertical shift (rise) would be required, but also a modest amount of horizontal shift as the image was taken slightly to the left of the center-line of the tower. Which brings me to the final issue; the foreshortening of the clock face is not just pure vertical, but at a slight diagonal (I have indicated this with the yellow off-vertical line), opposite to the direction of foreshortening that would normally occur with the image taken standing to the left of the center-line of the tower. This, together with the corresponding lopsided distortion on the domed roof, again gives the tower a "twisted" feel.

With more work this could possibly be fixed in PP, but with a shift lens, an appropriate amount of diagonal shift that would take maybe 30 secs to do, would render the facade exactly as an architectural client would expect it to be, and this could be checked in the field whilst taking the image. And whichever look you may prefer (there is some argument for maintaining a level of foreshortening), there is no point arguing with the client holding the pay-cheque...

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2023 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look, Stephan is being a childish swine, instead of any attempt at creative criticism, he does his usual mocking.

As for the distortion you see, well, you seem to ignore the fact that I wasn't standing directly in front of the clock tower, but several feet to the left of it (there's a statue in the way) so what you're complaining about is perspective, not distortion.

Also, you bloviated about how much you hate PP, so I did the least possible amount of PP on that image, only for you to turn around and moan about it's imperfections - which could so easily have been removed by just a little more PP! Make your mind up, to PP or not to PP - you can't have it both ways!

So we have an image that I stated was 'quick n dirty' that was literally thrown together using the barest minimum of time and effort, akin to a throwaway comment. It is literally the bottom rung of the ladder of what can be done, but for various reasons, I never even began to show what else is possible. Maybe I should show you some of the stitched images from one of my exhibitions, several of those have sold for four figure sums as huge prints 3 metres wide and challenge youto find the perspective issues, distortion and stitching errors you moan about.

All I've learned from this thread is that it is far too annoying and counterproductive to attempt to have a serious discussion with quite a few people.

and to think, I only bothered to post in this thread because it exists in order to personally attack me by an obnoxious blowhard who I have zero respect for.

Seems like a long time ago now that this was a good forum, before it became dominated by alpine egomaniacs with far more arrogance than ability.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2023 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please excuse me in advance that my English is not perfect.

What I read from you was the reason why I signed up.

I don't want to say anything about your bad upbringing. But about your photography: If your free view of the bell tower was blocked by a statue, then nobody prevented you from taking an undistorted photo. From your point of view, too, it was possible to take a direct shot at right angles without the slightest problem.

In my eyes, you're a self-righteous talker who takes himself a little too seriously without knowing what you're talking about.

Forgive me for being so direct.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2023 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Returning to the technical aspect, eventually the topic became confusing, because two different issues were intertwined: on the one hand, the correction of falling lines, which is within the reach of any software, without any relapse in terms of distortion, but only with a decrease in image sharpness due to pixel stretching; on the other hand, people started to disquisition about stitching, which is not necessarily related to the straightening of falling lines, but can also be just an artifice to increase the framed field.
This procedure via software is always invasive, because it leaves a wide margin of interpretation of the subject, both to the photographer and to the software, and can almost always be recognized at a glance by those with experience and geometric sensitivity.
It also has other downsides: if there are moving subjects in the image, it is not possible to capture them naturally; if there are objects such hedges or fences in the foreground, there will always be some element to be adjusted; if it is windy, the trees will never be in the same position in the various shots, etc. These are all problems that do not exist by shooting with dedicated lenses. It should also be said that the best stitching is done precisely with shift lenses: if you have the foresight to attach the lens to the tripod, and shift the camera body (there are heads dedicated to this procedure), the nodal point of the optic does not move, and the overlay is perfect even with complex three-dimensional scenery.
In favor of the stitch procedure remains, of course, the possibility of increasing the file size at will, which is very useful, for example, to reproduce life-size paintings of square meters in size, without loss of quality, which professionally I have done quite often. Then, of course, there are those situations where the required amplitude of field leaves no choice, and so one must accept the limitations in order to benefit from the advantages. Ultimately there are no wrong techniques, only wrong uses of a given technique.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2023 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
As for the distortion you see, well, you seem to ignore the fact that I wasn't standing directly in front of the clock tower, but several feet to the left of it (there's a statue in the way) so what you're complaining about is perspective, not distortion.

I have mentioned multiple times that the shot was taken from the left of the centerline of the tower. A shift lens would have completely eliminated that perspective, in a 30 second adjustment if not less. That's precisely what architectural clients are often asking for. An image taken with a shift lens from the same view point you were standing, would have rendered the facade of the tower exactly as it would have looked if you were standing straight in front of it, with no apparent vanishing points (convergence of horizontals or verticals, and the clock face would have been round.) For sure there would have been other clues in the image that it was taken slightly from the left, because of the depth of the whole building, and there would have been a visible parallax. Therefore a shift lens is not a panacea either.

The issue with the image above is that it is a combination of the software having to make a "best guess" at distorting & fitting constituent images taken at unknown angles, and then some further manual adjustments. The result is that the image contains various inconsistent vanishing points; the bottom of the tower looks like it was taken standing slightly to the left of the tower, the top half looks like it was taken standing slightly to the right of the tower. Regardless of chosen methodology, that doesn't look right and this is precisely one of the issues that takes time to fix in PP when stitching, and that can easily be avoided by using a shift lens.

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
Also, you bloviated about how much you hate PP, so I did the least possible amount of PP on that image, only for you to turn around and moan about it's imperfections - which could so easily have been removed by just a little more PP! Make your mind up, to PP or not to PP - you can't have it both ways!

Absolutely; I don't like PP in software. But remember for me this is a hobby; I therefore am in a lucky position that I can choose which bits of photography I do, and which I don't. I'm not "doing half a job" as you mentioned before, precisely because it is not my job. This is again one example where, through the way by which you express yourself, you seem to have a fixed idea of what doing photography "properly" entails, without acknowledging the many different levels at which this complex occupation and/or hobby can be enjoyed. As to your continued excuse that it can easily be fixed by "just a little more PP", that has been my point all along; professionals working under a tight deadline don't always have the time for "just a little (or a lot) more PP, hence a shift-lens is still a very valuable photographic tool.

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
So we have an image that I stated was 'quick n dirty' that was literally thrown together using the barest minimum of time and effort, akin to a throwaway comment. It is literally the bottom rung of the ladder of what can be done, but for various reasons, I never even began to show what else is possible. Maybe I should show you some of the stitched images from one of my exhibitions, several of those have sold for four figure sums as huge prints 3 metres wide and challenge youto find the perspective issues, distortion and stitching errors you moan about.

I have at no point suggested that stitching cannot be done successfully, and for one-off exhibition prints like you refer to that is a very useful and valid technique. My point has always been that if you shoot professionally, for a picky architectural client who insists on the "obligatory" convergence-free perspective without foreshortening, the quickest, easiest, and most reliable and predictable way of achieving that when under time pressure (and when not wanting to end up having an argument with the client afterwards,) is by using a shift lens. Many professionals still use them, and Canon and others keep selling them.

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
All I've learned from this thread is that it is far too annoying and counterproductive to attempt to have a serious discussion with quite a few people.

TBH, I've struggled myself here. When you try to strengthen your argument by providing an image that actually counters your argument, I'm struggling how to respond to that. When I politely try and point out these inconsistencies; you clearly get very annoyed.

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
and to think, I only bothered to post in this thread because it exists in order to personally attack me by an obnoxious blowhard who I have zero respect for.

You have made plenty of posts where he didn't react; I have only seen evidence of him challenging your point of view when you voice your opinion in an absolute manner when many others may hold a valid different opinion. He started a different thread here not to attack you, but because the subject was getting heated and going off topic from a post by a new joiner (i'm glad to see the moderators have cleaned that up); he gave it a dedicated place where it could be discussed in anger (no pun intended).

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
Seems like a long time ago now that this was a good forum, before it became dominated by alpine egomaniacs with far more arrogance than ability.

It is and will remain a very valuable forum, provided we can keep the language respectful.

Last edited by RokkorDoctor on Sun Feb 26, 2023 12:51 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2023 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ultrapix wrote:
Returning to the technical aspect, eventually the topic became confusing, because two different issues were intertwined: on the one hand, the correction of falling lines, which is within the reach of any software, without any relapse in terms of distortion, but only with a decrease in image sharpness due to pixel stretching; on the other hand, people started to disquisition about stitching, which is not necessarily related to the straightening of falling lines, but can also be just an artifice to increase the framed field.
This procedure via software is always invasive, because it leaves a wide margin of interpretation of the subject, both to the photographer and to the software, and can almost always be recognized at a glance by those with experience and geometric sensitivity.
It also has other downsides: if there are moving subjects in the image, it is not possible to capture them naturally; if there are objects such hedges or fences in the foreground, there will always be some element to be adjusted; if it is windy, the trees will never be in the same position in the various shots, etc. These are all problems that do not exist by shooting with dedicated lenses. It should also be said that the best stitching is done precisely with shift lenses: if you have the foresight to attach the lens to the tripod, and shift the camera body (there are heads dedicated to this procedure), the nodal point of the optic does not move, and the overlay is perfect even with complex three-dimensional scenery.
In favor of the stitch procedure remains, of course, the possibility of increasing the file size at will, which is very useful, for example, to reproduce life-size paintings of square meters in size, without loss of quality, which professionally I have done quite often. Then, of course, there are those situations where the required amplitude of field leaves no choice, and so one must accept the limitations in order to benefit from the advantages. Ultimately there are no wrong techniques, only wrong uses of a given technique.

Exactly.

The two issues became intertwined because Ian conceded correctly that in order to avoid the post-correction cropping issues after perspective correction in PP, you need to start off with a high resolution image; one of multiple ways of achieving this is by his suggestion of stitching images, but that comes with its own problems.

Bottom line is that what sparked this whole debate was the assertion by one member that shift lenses no longer have any purpose in the digital world where the same can be done in PP "with a couple of clicks". That assertion was challenged because many photographers, amateurs and professionals alike, have a wide spectrum of different objectives to meet whilst requiring perspective correction, some objectives of which can be met better by using shift lenses. That doesn't mean shift lenses are better, they are sometimes just the more appropriate tool to use.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2023 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are a few sample taken with the Canon TS-E 4/17mm L. All these images have been published in large high quality books ("Sakrales Zürich - 150 Jahre katholischer Kirchenbau im Kanton Zürich" by Markus Weber and "S. Maria dell'Anima" by Franz Xaver Brandmayr).

Let's start with the oldest buildings. The church of "S. Maria dell'Anima" in Rome (close to Piazza Navona in the mst beautiful part of ancient Rome) was built around 1500, as a home for pilgrims from the north (mainly from todays Netherlands). Later on - around 1650 - the Austrians took over, and up to these days they are responsible for the church, the adjacent seminary, and quite a few buildings surrounding both the church and the seminary.

The church itself is famous for its excellent acoustics (among the best in Rome), but it is quite hidden, and difficult to capture on a photo. There's a small narrow alley where it's belltower is visible, and I toook this image for the back cover of the large book (24x32 cm / 10x12.5 inch). The image was composed so that its right side could be used as a "neutral" background for some writing. The contrast was pretty high, and it had to be reduced drastically to make it printable. In addition I had to "remove" some cars to make it look better.

Using a tripod, taking the image was pretty straight-forward. Compsing the image without a shift lens would have been a nightmare.

Here's another one, from the same church. It's the altar of the "Capella del Margravio", with the main image, a masterpiece of the Florentine painter Salviati (1510-1563). The 17 mm superwide results in a beautiful "3D" image of the marblework surounding the image. The natural light was pretty scarce (and had a strong color cast due to the colored windows), but after some less-than-convincing trials with artificial light we decided to use available light. Careful post-processing did the rest, and the result is quite convincing.

Again a complicated and difficult setting, and the shift lens was indispensable.

S

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2023 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevemark wrote:
Here are a few sample taken with the Canon TS-E 4/17mm L. All these images have been published in large high quality books ("Sakrales Zürich - 150 Jahre katholischer Kirchenbau im Kanton Zürich" by Markus Weber and "S. Maria dell'Anima" by Franz Xaver Brandmayr).

While I don't doubt your expertise in this matter in the slightest and am sure this shot is fullfilling the requirements for a good architectural photograph in every aspect, it doesn't feel right to me. Probably due to the straight lines the tower looks too thin and seems a bit insignificant in the image - I can't really articulate what it is.

I'm very curious though... if there was no expectation of getting the lines straightened up, would you personally prefer to take an image in this way, or would you rather keep some more of the distortion or 'how we really see it with our naked eye when standing there' in?

The second image looks perfect btw. and significantly better than what I assume would be the (non T/S) alternative.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2023 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the end of the day, this whole thread and debate has been pretty damn stupid and only came about because one idiot has a hugely inflated ego and actively seeks out things he can troll people about.

Nothing new in this, similar arguments arose in the past about HDR with the luddite crowd insisting it was rubbish and always produced horrible, garish results, today it has become an accepted and widely used tool, as it should be.

Same thing with stitching and software correction of perspective - it is just another tool and a sensible person would see it as such and welcome it - the more tools we have, the more work we can produce.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2023 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are a few more samples from the 640 p book on catholic churches in the Canton of Zurich.

Zurich was - along with Geneva (then part of Savoy) and Wittenberg (in todays Eastern Germany) - a hotspot of the Reformation.
Between 1524 and 1807 any catholic worship was completely forbidden, and the remaining catholics were expelled. Only in 1868
the catholics were allowed to build their first "new" catholic church in the Canton of Zurich. Back then, most catholics in Zurich were
workers for the newly established industrial enterprises in Zurich and Winterthur. They came from the catholic Central Switzerland,
from southern Germany or from Italy. They mostly were poor people, and building new churches for them was a though and difficult
undertaking. Usually they were constructed in the suburbs, with very little money, and therefore they are of limited architectural
or artistical value. Nevertheless these days much more praying and worship is going on in these poor catholic churches, than in the
ancient and beautiful (pre-reformatoric) protestant churches (former cathedrals and monasteries).

Taking meaningful images was pretty difficult. Not only the poor architecture, but also the dull light of Northern Switzerland was a challenge. Here are some examples.

Winterthur - the first "new" catholic church built in 1868. Neo-gothic style, surrounded by apartment buildings. This image was stitched
from two handheld photos taken with the Canon TS-E 4/17mm L (due to rapidly changing light). The final image was improved
by some post processing (reducing the contast). Published also in a large size calendar (40x60cm). The image also was used for the
cover of the first volume of "Sakrales Zürich".

Now another neo-gothic church, this time from Bülach:

The image above was not only used in "Sakrales Zürich", but also as a cover image for a separate booklet about the church and its
history. As you can see, I had to compose the image with enough "empty" space for a title and undertitle. Works much easier with a
shift lens, for sure! Again the light was changing rapidly, and I was really happy to have the shift lens with me (which allows not only
for precise, but also for fast work). Handheld, no tripod.

And here's an image from the choir of the Bülach church. Not something of outstanding artitistic value - but simply an expression of
faith and devotion from around 1900. Luckily the entire original altar and the paintings were not "purified" (=removed & destroyed)
during the 1960s when the neo-gothic style was considered to be "outdated" (more on that later on).

Now a really "crazy" image - only possible with a superwide shift lens. If you look at the upper part of the image, you will see that it was
taken shifting the 17mm L "too much", and pointing the camera slightly downwards. In fact the large frescoe in the choir of the church
cannot be seen "correctly" by the naked eye: Either the saints (at the bottom of the image) or godfather (at the top of the image) will
look completely distorted since the fresco is painted on the inside of a semi-cupola (see here on wikipedia: https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fritz_Kunz#/media/Datei:Hottingen_-_Katholische_Kirche_St._Antonius_-_Innenansicht_2011-08-19_14-19-30_ShiftN.jpg). While some of the figures still are visibly distorted (especially Jesus in the center), the over-all impression of the entire large fresco is much better than with any photo previously taken - and believe me: many were taken professionally during the last 100 years, since these frescoes are from the most eminent Swiss fresco painter of the 1900s.

Composing such an image would have been completely impossible using "stitching" ans software.

Here's another sample taken with the TS-E 4/17mm L. The church Zurich St. Joseph (neo-baroque, and finished just at the
beginning of WW I) was built in a (then) industrial district of Zurich. The church - as most others in town - is surrounded by pretty high
buildings, and thus difficult to shoot even with my Zeiss 2.8/16-35mm "non-shift" lens. This image was taken on a cold winter morning
with exceptionally clear light (unusual for Zurich). To display not only the church itself, but also its surroundings I did include the
appartment buildings, but also the street with its zebra crossing and the traffic lights. Again, the shift lens was extremely useful for
composing the image (that would have been pretty much impossible with stitching), and for getting the work done quickly.
As I said, such a beautiful light is rare in Zurich, and I was happy to take pictures in quick succession at other locations as well.

This last image was taken wide open (f4), using a Manfrotto carbon tripod with 410 head (head made specifically for architectural work).
Why wide open? The TS-E 4/17mm has a strong vigetting at f4 when shifted (about 3 EV). This helps to "reduce" and darken both the
sky as well as the traffic lights to a nice color. Since the lens is shifted, the lower part of the image is more or less in the center of the
its image circle, and thus not underexposed. The resolution of the 4/17mm was completely sufficient even at f4 and in the
shifted state (not much detail in the upper corners).

Last edited by stevemark on Fri Mar 10, 2023 12:29 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2023 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although probably expensive filters may be required to sift there is much here I've learned.

We are extremely fortunate to have such a broad range of people's educations and experiences being shared.

Not really related as architecture tends to move slowly most times, Raspberry Pi lets you have your own global shutter camera for $50:

https://www.engadget.com/raspberry-pi-lets-you-have-your-own-global-shutter-camera-for-50-104547026.html

Quote:
Global shutter sensors with no skew or distortion have been promised as the future of cameras for years now,

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2023 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

simple.joy wrote:

While I don't doubt your expertise in this matter in the slightest and am sure this shot is fullfilling the requirements for a good
architectural photograph in every aspect, it doesn't feel right to me. Probably due to the straight lines the tower looks too thin and
seems a bit insignificant in the image - I can't really articulate what it is.

I'm very curious though... if there was no expectation of getting the lines straightened up, would you personally prefer to take an image
in this way, or would you rather keep some more of the distortion or 'how we really see it with our naked eye when standing there' in?

There are two things to add:

1) The editor clearly was requesting "completely straight lines" (not only for this image, but for all images in the book).
Personally, I sometimes would have preferred a slight undercorrection, too ...

2) The composition of the (first) image explicitly was made to allow for some additional text, as you can see here:

The above JPG shows the entire book cover (front cover on the right, spine of the book in the center, and back cover on the left).
It's size is about 37 x 54 cm (14.5 x 23 inches).

Be aware that only the part inside the yellow frame will be visible on the final cover; the additional parts outside need to be there for technical reasons
(manufacturing of the book's hardcover). This means that the photos taken must be quite a bit "wider" than the final images shown
on the cover (up to 1.5 cm per side!!).

If you hold the actual 24 x 32 cm book in your hands, the belltower doesn't look "insignificant" at all (on the back cover the entire church is 25 cm = 10 inches high)
- but that's something you usually don't decide looking at the computer screen, but holding a a pre-produced sample of the cover in your hands
(we do it at my printing plant).

As you see, taking professional images for printing books isn't always that easy. Quite a few additional things must be considered.

I had taken another view of the tower (these two are basically the only two possible views to see the belltower). This second image later was
chosen for the title of a smaller booklet. This, again, is the entire book softcover. The image on the left is the back cover, the image on
the right is the front cover. The two written parts on the left and on the right will be folded in during the manufacturing of the softcover.
Again the images must be slightly larger than on the final booklet; 5 mm on top and 5 mm on the bottom of each image will be cut away
(see cutting marks on the side).

This second image of the uppermost part (!) of the belltower was taken with an AF 2.8/70-200mm APO lens. Here the converging lines
as well as the distortion of the zoom lens were corrected using software
. Why? There's no 70-200 shift lens, and software correction
using tele lenses is absolutely trouble-free: The correction factor between upper and lower part of the image is in the range of 10% only
(and not several 100% as with superwides). More on that in a later posting.
Yes, I do use software for correcting converging lines!! - but only when appropriate.

S

Last edited by stevemark on Fri Mar 10, 2023 12:41 am; edited 3 times in total

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2023 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much for the additional information - that explains what I was wondering about! I think the image looks great on the cover with the additional text etc. and it really seems incredible important to take the space around your main subject into consideration when it comes to architecture! Very interesting to hear those explanations and have some examples shown to, particularly for someone like me who has never tried shooting any architecture. I really appreciate it!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2023 10:50 am    Post subject: A related theoretical question Reply with quote

Suppose I would make a fixed shift lens with Sony FE mount. Aiming at hand held, FF portrait takes of max 12 meter high houses, me standing at the other side of a 12 meter wide street. That is a narrow as you encounter in older cities here, less is even more unworkable, for wider I can step forward. Retrofocus SLR lens to have more back focal distance. Eye height 160cm. For a kind of snapshot architectural photography, facades mainly.

Which focal length to use, how much shift needed ?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2023 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevemark wrote:

The image above was not only used in "Sakrales Zürich", but also as a cover image for a separate booklet about the church and its
history. As you can see, I had to compose the image with enough "empty" space for a title and undertitle. Works much easier with a
shift lens, for sure! Again the light was changing rapidly, and I was really happy to have the shift lens with me (which allows not only

stevemark wrote:

2) The composition of the (first) image explicitly was made to allow for some additional text, as you can see here:

Like 1 small

Indeed, shooting images intended for book & magazine covers brings its own set of criteria.

I would imagine that for most books & magazines covers, shooting portrait format is beneficial when making allowance for cover titles & cover manufacturing. You can crop a landscape format afterwards of course, but shooting portrait format on location I think gives a better idea what the final image would look like when used as a full cover image, and how much space for titles will be available. So having a shift lens available when shooting architecture must surely be a help as well.

It probably also helps to allocate empty, or at least less busy areas of low contrast where you know titles/text will end up, as you clearly demonstrate in the second image (even when that means the image by itself without the additional text may look a little unbalanced.)

When you are not working on commission, it is probably still worth bearing in mind these considerations when shooting something that you anticipate/hope at some point will be used as a cover image.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2023 1:12 pm    Post subject: Re: A related theoretical question Reply with quote

Ernst Dinkla wrote:
Suppose I would make a fixed shift lens with Sony FE mount. Aiming at hand held, FF portrait takes of max 12 meter high houses, me standing at the other side of a 12 meter wide street. That is a narrow as you encounter in older cities here, less is even more unworkable, for wider I can step forward. Retrofocus SLR lens to have more back focal distance. Eye height 160cm. For a kind of snapshot architectural photography, facades mainly.

Well, shooting a 12m tall subject from a 12m distance means a minimum angle of view of approx. 45 degrees. You will need some margin to allow for a bit of pavement & sky, so assuming you will be shooting portrait format as you suggest, that would imply a lens of 35mm focal length or less. (If you are shooting landscape format that would imply a lens of 24mm focal length or less). See below table for guidance:

https://www.nikonians.org/reviews/fov-tables

Eye height at 160cm shooting a 12m tall building implies the centre of the building is about 4.4m above eye height. A 4.4m vertical shift of the subject plane shooting from a 12m distance implies a required shift of the image plane of about 13mm for a 35mm focal length lens when shooting portrait format. (or about 9mm shift for a 24mm focal length lens when shooting landscape format.)

Those are my back-of-the-envelope estimations.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2023 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevemark wrote:
Here are a few more samples from the 640 p book on catholic churches in the Canton of Zurich.

Before I do something undesirable, may I post my own proposal of how to postproduce this image in a way that is less impactful on the eye?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2023 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: A related theoretical question Reply with quote

RokkorDoctor wrote:
Ernst Dinkla wrote:
Suppose I would make a fixed shift lens with Sony FE mount. Aiming at hand held, FF portrait takes of max 12 meter high houses, me standing at the other side of a 12 meter wide street. That is as narrow as you encounter in older cities here, less is even more unworkable, for wider I can step forward. Retrofocus SLR lens to have more back focal distance. Eye height 160cm. For a kind of snapshot architectural photography, facades mainly.

Well, shooting a 12m tall subject from a 12m distance means a minimum angle of view of approx. 45 degrees. You will need some margin to allow for a bit of pavement & sky, so assuming you will be shooting portrait format as you suggest, that would imply a lens of 35mm focal length or less. (If you are shooting landscape format that would imply a lens of 24mm focal length or less). See below table for guidance:

https://www.nikonians.org/reviews/fov-tables

Eye height at 160cm shooting a 12m tall building implies the centre of the building is about 4.4m above eye height. A 4.4m vertical shift of the subject plane shooting from a 12m distance implies a required shift of the image plane of about 13mm for a 35mm focal length lens when shooting portrait format. (or about 9mm shift for a 24mm focal length lens when shooting landscape format.)

Those are my back-of-the-envelope estimations.

Thank you.
The 13mm corresponds with my simple drawing. Degrees more towards 50 though as I am not flat against the opposite wall. Thinking about a 28mm here but I have to check what it covers, more than likely not a circle of 60mm diameter. So 24mm might be needed in best case.