Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Sharp 35mm f/2 for Sony A7
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you.
Bought a clean Soligor because it was cheap. With the new Nikon/Canon/Panasonic mirrorless, manual lenses will probably become more and more expensive so I'll try to get my "ideal" collection now.
I have a 28mm f/2 Vivitar Komine version, and it is not the same as the Kiron version. Well, I read the Soligor might be a bit like the Mir24, let's see.

The problem with Nikkor lens is they may be difficult to find in good shape. I have now four of them and all with clean glass but I had to return 4 or 5 because of fungus, especially the great 105 f/2,5.

I may try the Pentax M or the Mir24 M42 version (which seems to be a bit better than the Nikkor one) if I can't find a clean Nikkor.
But for the moment, I have to save money.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMO the Soligor is way better than the Mir24 both optically and mechanically (I tested several copies of those too) but copy variations with Russian lenses are huge, so I may just had bad luck...
Let us know how your new lens performs!

The best third-party 28/2 I tested so far is definitely the Soligor/Tokina, it was clearly sharper and more corrected, expecially wide open, than the Komine, the Vivitar/Tokina and the Kiron (of which there are 2 versions, one with a long focus throw and one with a short focus throw, that is sharper, expecially at the borders of the image).

So... maybe you can start a Soligor lineup! Smile

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have compiled the corner crops (100% from 24MP FF) of a bunch of fast vintage 35mm lenses:

Stephan

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevemark wrote:
I have compiled the corner crops (100% from 24MP FF) of a bunch of fast vintage 35mm lenses:

Stephan

Thank you!

I'm surprised the different versions of Minolta 35/1.8 came on top and all perform similarly. I thought the 35/2.8 and the Canons would be better at 5.6.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevemark , Thanks. I did not expect such performance from 1.8.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

miran wrote:
stevemark wrote:

Stephan

Thank you!

I'm surprised the different versions of Minolta 35/1.8 came on top and all perform similarly. I thought the 35/2.8 and the Canons would be better at 5.6.

I have compared the Minolta 35mm lenses twice before doing this test (data not published), including many f4, f2.8 and f1.8 siblings (about a dozen) - always with the same outcome regarding the MC-X/MD-II/MD-III 1.8/35mm. Thus i'm quite confident about the result.

Minolta project information says that the original MC 1.8/35mm was based on the construction of a Schneider 2.8/35mm lens from the early 1960s. In fact, the lens sections of these two lenses (Schneider 2.8/35mm and Minolta MC 1.8/35mm) are quite similar.

I assume that the calculation of the new, much smaller 1.8/35mm was done in a way to keep the performance data of the original MC 1.8/35mm, but to drastically reduce the volume and the weight of the lens. The basic construction of the MD 1.8/35mm, though, remains very similar to the MC 1.8/35mm.

Stephan