Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Services For Re-cementing A Doublet in 2021? DIY?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 5:20 pm    Post subject: Services For Re-cementing A Doublet in 2021? DIY? Reply with quote

I came into a rather rare fisheye lens for my Bronica SQ system (the PS 35mm f/3.5) at a fairly good price given it's rarity. Unfortunately the price was a result of some mild haze or separation in the rear optical assembly. I opened it up and the issue is between two bonded elements. It's enough that strong highlights, such as a setting sun, in a certain part of the frame, does affect the final image (some veiling, lack of contrast).

As a DIY'er, and having read a lot of these posts, I can see lots of info from photographers and astro folks who heat their doublets up in the oven (or toaster oven) and have in some cases reported getting rid of the issue then and there. More commonly, they're merely doing this to separate the optics. Then using solvent to clean them entirely. And either re-cementing with balsam or UV-cured optical adhesive (like Norland NOA 63). I have a very rudimentary understanding of this process, but did go down the path of considering purchasing the NOA 63, a UV lamp, and a V-block to hopefully separate and re-cement my doublet. Heck, because I love this stuff, I even checked out Opto-Alignment's youtube videos on their optical benches and wondered "How much do those cost...."

But given the rarity of the optic, again, I have held off, still searching to see if there are any services out there who still do this. I am located in the US. Has anyone done this at all? Have any recommendations? I reached out and did get one response from Duclos Lenses. They put the repair in the ballpark of $1000 (also aware it could be well over the value of the lens). I see some broken links on past posts of similar nature though indicating the previously recommended services no longer exist.

The last option is just live with it, perhaps until a better copy comes along. I really just enjoy fixing things and would love to get this back to original spec.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You would probably need an optical bench in order to reliably recement lenses like it is done here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cl6K-EXPILo

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As always, you should join the learn camera repair Facebook group, because there are countless discussions and examples on doing this, what not to do, how much will it cost to do a better job etc.

I'll copy from one of the comments I found particularly illuminating:

white paper on cementing doublets from one of the larger precision optics shops in the US: https://www.photonics.com/images/Web/WhitePapers/53/Assembly_Method_Considerations_for_Cemented_Assemblies.pdf
Keep in mind that Optimax usually works to a higher level of precision (and cost!) Than typical consumer photographic equipment.
Excellent results can be achieved with an air bearing and a <$100 mechanical test indicator like you'd find in any machine shop. And the air bearing is probably overkill. A precision ball or roller bearing would likely work.
It all depends on how sensitive the design is to the doublet assembly tolerance. Unfortunately this is difficult to estimate without the full prescription of the lens.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

D1N0 wrote:
You would probably need an optical bench in order to reliably recement lenses like it is done here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cl6K-EXPILo

I mentioned this video (and company) in my initial question. I am aware.

eggplant wrote:
As always, you should join the learn camera repair Facebook group, because there are countless discussions and examples on doing this, what not to do, how much will it cost to do a better job etc.

Thanks for sharing that info here. I have done my best to avoid using Facebook for quite a few years now and was pretty upset when they bought Instagram as it was one of the few social media channels I used. Working to pry myself off that one too - unfortunately with few alternatives, that's where a lot of people still try to connect. But that's a whole other topic.

Yeah I was kind of wondering how close I could get to a workable result by way of some maybe even used pieces of equipment (you mention the air bearing or roller bearing and the mechanical test indicator). Even if I could make something in the neighborhood of sub $500, where maybe I could then do some more. Repairing a few of my other optics, I think it would be worth it to me. Not to mention the value of the learning along the way!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eric Hendrickson (pentaxs.com) re-cemented the doublet in the short-mount 100/4 Bellows Takumar for me. I don't know if he'd consider working on a Bronica lens element. I don't know how fancy his centering setup is.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

justtorchit wrote:

Thanks for sharing that info here. I have done my best to avoid using Facebook for quite a few years now

With you 100% on that one. Assume to join any Facebook group one would be required first to join Facebook. For me that will NEVER happen. In addition:

While I have an intense, truly abiding, interest in lens repair . . . .

I have absolutely zero interest in camera repair, aside from lenses.

I'm also in the USA, like yourself, and over many years have been envious of the access Europeans have to competent and affordable lens repair services on their continent. I'm unaware of anything even close here in North America, where high prices seem to me the order of the day if, indeed, one is able to locate competent lens repair services in the first place.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is likely a modern lens cement which won't come apart unless heated to high temperatures or soaked for a long time in something nasty like methylene chloride. Traditional Canada balsam on older lenses does melt at much lower temperatures, but no chance that will have been used in a Bronica PS lens.

I would say you will likely pay less for another copy of the PS 35mm compared to having it repaired for you. I have no experience with Bronica lens repairs, so I don't know if the doublet was edge-ground to fit the cell precisely post-centering (likely though), in which case a V-block would suffice for adequate alignment when cementing (assuming you maintain exactly the original rotational alignment of the flint & crown).

Another obvious DIY route would be to see if you can find a cheap 35mm PS with damaged front optics/shutter and use that as a donor for the rear optics, assuming you know how to re-collimate Bronica PS lenses.

guardian wrote:

I'm also in the USA, like yourself, and over many years have been envious of the access Europeans have to competent and affordable lens repair services on their continent. I'm unaware of anything even close here in North America, where high prices seem to me the order of the day if, indeed, one is able to locate competent lens repair services in the first place.

Well, I live in Europe and I doubt whether affordable lens repair services extend to re-cementing doublets. Wink (it is usually specifically mentioned as a service not offered, together with coating repairs/re-coating...)

I've never understood camera repair quotes anyway. I serviced a few Minolta STR's myself and I cannot believe that the usual quoted CLA prices for these involves all that is required.

For example, replacement of all light baffles; Minolta SRT's have a hidden, but important and often disintegrating one sandwiched between the camera chassis and the bottom of the mirror box, which requires removal of the mirror box (it prevents light leaks when left without either a lens or body cap mounted for some time in bright conditions, which is leaking in past the aperture actuation lever). I just can't believe that is covered in the usual quoted prices given the pain involved in removing a mirror box from an SRT (removing top & bottom, leatherette, removing lens mount, de-soldering wires, removing cables, pulleys, removing pentaprism & focussing screen, removing mirror box, replacing baffles, replacing mirror box, readjusting mirror box alignment & checking connection clearances, refitting focussing screen & prism, rethreading cables & pulleys, re-soldering wires, refitting lens mount, recalibrating lens mount alignment and lens register, recalibrating focussing screen, adjusting shutter speed indicator, adjusting EV indicator, recalibrating light meter, re-glueing leatherette and putting the top & bottom back on). All that priced at a couple of hours' work??? I bet that light baffle under the mirror box gets conveniently overlooked in most "CLA"s, but it will gradually spread its disintegration "dust" throughout the mechanism. Crying or Very sad

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John I may reach out to Eric and just see what he says. Can't hurt! Thanks for all the input so far.

RokkorDoctor wrote:
This is likely a modern lens cement which won't come apart unless heated to high temperatures or soaked for a long time in something nasty like methylene chloride. Traditional Canada balsam on older lenses does melt at much lower temperatures, but no chance that will have been used in a Bronica PS lens.

I would say you will likely pay less for another copy of the PS 35mm compared to having it repaired for you. I have no experience with Bronica lens repairs, so I don't know if the doublet was edge-ground to fit the cell precisely post-centering (likely though), in which case a V-block would suffice for adequate alignment when cementing (assuming you maintain exactly the original rotational alignment of the flint & crown).

Another obvious DIY route would be to see if you can find a cheap 35mm PS with damaged front optics/shutter and use that as a donor for the rear optics, assuming you know how to re-collimate Bronica PS lenses.

Good to know - I hadn't really considered that possibility (that it isn't even balsam that's being used). I'm just beginning to dig into this stuff as I keep coming across vintage glass with separating elements and I have been frustrated that the most economical solution is usually "buy a better copy" or parts swapping. The latter being especially difficult with some of these more rare optics. I do believe this doublet is ground flush and I did have a V-block shipped to me. But I recently returned it, thinking I'm not quite ready to have a go at this yet as the lens is still usable and I would hate to really screw things up.

I'm all ears to more experiences and ideas.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Idk if he can or will touch this lens but I've had a lens recemented from a guy in Taiwan once, and it turned out perfectly fine (The lens was a Contax 28-85mm).

I think it's worth writing him a mail. Waiting times for the repair might be long (3+ months) though.

http://lens-cla.blogspot.com/p/blog-page_19.html

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eggplant wrote:

This. Just try yo be very careful with commenting, they ban people without hesitation and without warnings.

As far as actual recementing goes, if the doublet sits in a setting, or you can come up with a way to make your own to align the elements, you can probably try it at home. If not, and you are not willing to take a loss it's probably better to replace the lens.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For alignment, a V-block with an end plate(3 adjacent surfaces on the inside corner of a cube) made out of hardwood should be an inexpensive project to make a useful tool that will hold the elements reasonably close to their optical centres assuming they were manufactured properly, and have enough exterior surface to self align when placed in the V-block, most doublets I've seen would have enough surface in contact with the V-block to not have any issues with finding alignment.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2022 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI,

An update on this thread; I also own this same lens from new (Bronica PS 35mm f/3.5 FISHEYE) which I haven't used for quite a while. Checking mine this morning it has the exact same problem as the OP.

This was a later lens addition to the PS line, I bought mine long after Bronica had been taken over by Tamron. All my older PS lenses show no signs of any issues with the cement used. I wonder if they used a bad batch of optical cement or had some cleaning issues; they were financially struggling at the time...

Anyway, from looking at the lens there is no way of knowing if the issue is with the cement itself or whether there is an issue with the cement having attacked the actual glass.

I could try re-cementing with Canada balsam, but I fear this modern cement will require (substantial) heat to remove. Plus I have the same issue with a doublet deep inside the front cell, which means having to take all the elements out of that one too (not accessible from the back of the front cell).

Maybe this one will need to go for spares Sad

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2022 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RokkorDoctor wrote:
I wonder if they used a bad batch of optical cement or had some cleaning issues; they were financially struggling at the time... Anyway, from looking at the lens there is no way of knowing if the issue is with the cement itself or whether there is an issue with the cement having attacked the actual glass.

The most common reason for separation issues is glueing of lenses with grossly differing coefficients of thermal expansion. In other words: one lens is expanding more than the other when heating the cemented dublet - first causing tension/stress and then separation. Of course a glue which remains flexible even in its "hardened" state can absorb some tensions, thus reducing the risk of fracture (e. g. canada balm).

S

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2022 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevemark wrote:

The most common reason for separation issues is glueing of lenses with grossly differing coefficients of thermal expansion. In other words: one lens is expanding more than the other when heating the cemented dublet - first causing tension/stress and then separation. Of course a glue which remains flexible even in its "hardened" state can absorb some tensions, thus reducing the risk of fracture (e. g. canada balm).

S

True, and that issue becomes worse the larger the diameter of the elements, which is why in the "old" days a hard Canada balsam was used for small elements, and a soft one for large elements.

The doublet in the Bronica PS 35mm is small though, and will have been cemented with a modern (hopefully not epoxy) cement. It doesn't look like separation to me, but rather some chemical issue going on. This can happen if the cement was not treated correctly during preparation, e.g. accidental contact with a steel or aluminium container, or e.g. result from silicone lubrication remnants in any application syringes used. In a quality controlled environment this should not happen, but I don't know what QC was like during the financially challenging final year of trading of Bronica, which is when I bought that lens. All my other Bronica PS lenses are from much earlier production runs and don't have any haze issues at all.

I may do some more research first and have a go at heating the doublet to see if the crown & flint come apart, but then cleaning off the cement residue may prove even more challenging. Epoxy doesn't dissolve in acetone/MEK/xylene etc. And dropping volatile solvents onto a hot lens is a recipe for fracturing it due to the rapid cooling (and exposure to lethal amounts of solvent vapour!). And the one chemical that might work by immersion at room temperature (mehylene chloride / dichloromethane) has been banned for sale to the general public in the UK & EU... Sad

AFAIK, epoxy-cemented lenses are considered non-repairable.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2022 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wealth here: https://www.optical-cement.com/

Including:
https://www.optical-cement.com/cements/chart.html
https://www.optical-cement.com/cements/decementing/decementing.html
https://www.optical-cement.com/cements/manual/manual.html#anchor1332722
https://www.optical-cement.com/cements/products.html

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2022 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks visualopsins;

I was already aware of these links. Their de-cementing agent is furfuryl alcohol. I don't think they can send that to the UK and I have no idea where to get that here. Summers list a representative in the UK, but that representative makes no reference whatsoever to Summers optical products. Besides, I have neither the industrial ventilation setup required nor desire to work with that stuff at 340F Wink

I may try the usual de-bonding by careful slow heating to a high temperature. Apparently the residue left on the lenses should then be removable after soaking in acetone (I thought it wasn't).

The traditional way of heating doublets is by placing on a heavy metal plate which is then gradually heated from underneath with a gas burner. Perhaps a temperature controlled heat gun should work as well; I have a digitally controlled one which can be controlled in 10 degree Celcius steps. Using that (not directly pointed at the lens) and gradually increasing the temperature should avoid any temperature shocks.

After all that it may still turn out to be the glass and not the cement that has gone hazy Sad

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2022 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update:

Today I examined the rear doublet on my PS 35mm (rear cell, nearest doublet to aperture, lenses 7,Cool, and tried to separate it.

My findings:

The flint is about 90 microns greater in diameter than the crown lens. The two mechanical lens centers are about 25 microns displaced, i.e. there is a "step" between the edges of the crown and flint of 70 microns on one side, 20 microns on the other. This is the result of the in-factory centering applied to the doublet.

Use of a plain V-block is therefore not going to result in good alignment. Additional shim needs to be applied to the V-block to offset the crown approximately to the same factory-applied offset. About a 50 micron shim applied to both surfaces of the v-block will be appropriate, i.e. at a 45 degree angle to the main axis of displacement, together with appropriate alignment of crown and flint.

There was some anecdotal evidence on the web that a Bronica GS-1 PG 50mm lens had a doublet cemented with Canada balsam that was separated successfully. That was a potentially much earlier production run, this PS35mm lens was a late addition to the PS lens lineup. Still worth trying though.

I marked the lenses for later re-alignment, and I scraped the lens blackening out of the chamfer. I then carefully heated the doublet to 150 degree centigrade (plenty for CB softening) , with zero effect. There was no softening of the cement at all, which confirmed my suspicion that these later Bronica lenses no longer used Canada balsam as a cement.

Currently the doublet is sitting in a bath of acetone, which I will give a couple of weeks to see if there is any visible progress on edge softening of the cement used. TBH, I am not hopeful and fear that only application high heat will separate them.

Methylene chloride can only be ordered here upon proof of professional use, qualification, training, a declaration of use and proof of safety controls, and a copy of a photo ID of the relevant company director, so that rules that out...

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2022 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RokkorDoctor wrote:
The traditional way of heating doublets is by placing on a heavy metal plate which is then gradually heated from underneath with a gas burner. Perhaps a temperature controlled heat gun should work as well; I have a digitally controlled one which can be controlled in 10 degree Celcius steps. Using that (not directly pointed at the lens) and gradually increasing the temperature should avoid any temperature shocks.

Is there a specific reason heating is done from one side on a burner like this, instead of a method that might be able to heat it more uniformly? Does that aid the separation process? And how thick are the metal plates used for this process normally?

RokkorDoctor wrote:
Currently the doublet is sitting in a bath of acetone, which I will give a couple of weeks to see if there is any visible progress on edge softening of the cement used. TBH, I am not hopeful and fear that only application high heat will separate them.

How much heat do you think it will take to separate this kind of cement?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2022 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paragon19 wrote:

Is there a specific reason heating is done from one side on a burner like this, instead of a method that might be able to heat it more uniformly? Does that aid the separation process? And how thick are the metal plates used for this process normally?

I just re-read my materials & books on that; the hot plate on burner method was used only when using soft balsam for cementing; cementing with medium and hard balsams was done in an oven as the temps involved are higher. Makes sense. For separation an oven or uniformly heated oil bath would probably make more sense.

Paragon19 wrote:

How much heat do you think it will take to separate this kind of cement?

That depends on the resin used.

The likes of Norland mention 20 to 40 minutes at 400 degrees F (204 C) in mineral oil for small elements, or a hot-sand bath at 800 degrees F (427 C) for larger elements.

But there is no guarantee. As I understand it, many cross polymerised resins don't really melt when heated; they become a bit rubbery and may loose their adhesion to the substrate, or they just burn at higher temps Sad

Whichever way you heat it, there is always a significant risk of cracking one of the elements, even when heating gradually, so solvents are the preferred route if possible.

Some resins don't even respond to methylene chloride, hence the notion that some epoxy cemented lenses may simply be unserviceable.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2022 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, thanks all for the additional info in this thread. Very helpful. RokkorDoctor, sorry to hear you're seeing the same issue with your lens! I did find a clean copy (pay for it though). I shot the clean copy beside the hazed copy and found that, while the haze definitely affects image quality, I must say I didn't find it nearly as bad as I anticipated. Again though, it's there. And I am one of those people that, once I know that, I can't help but think about it when using it.

Thanks so much for all the info here. I had read some of the few re-cementing forum posts out there and I can't say I came across any info as plentiful as you all have shared hear (regarding dangers of cracking your lenses when heating, how some adhesives may not even respond to heat, etc.) So I will be staying away from attempting anything with this optic. It's functional so I just as soon leave it for someone who may be less concerned about the haze.

It's a very cool lens, though! I've been really enjoying it.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2022 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RokkorDoctor wrote:

Update:

8 days in the acetone now, and on one side some tantalising delamination-like crazing pattern is starting to appear in the cement, up to about 5% in from the edge. My guess is acetone will work eventually, but at this rate it will take a few months.

I'll bring it from the garage into the house, which is a bit warmer; this may speed up the process a bit.

I'll test my patience; I really don't want to go the Norland-suggested 400 degree F hot oil route: the crown in the doublet is very thin and there would be a good chance of cracking it if the differential rate of expansion between crown and flint becomes too much before the cement gives...