Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

sensor dust/ sensor cleaning systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 12:21 am    Post subject: sensor dust/ sensor cleaning systems Reply with quote

I am fed up with it on my 350D, does the 400D sensor cleaning system really work?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 12:26 am    Post subject: Re: sensor dust/ sensor cleaning systems Reply with quote

hacksawbob wrote:
I am fed up with it on my 350D, does the 400D sensor cleaning system really work?

In a word?

YES

Everyday, I wish my 5D had it.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had problem with Nikon D50, sometimes sensor was dusty.

I never seen similar problem with E-1.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bob
I just purchased the canon 40D just in this past week. The first shots I took with the cam had some dust spots. After learning how to turn on the DRS, amazingly the spots are gone. I was at first dissapointed that a new camera had dust on the sensor. Mad Now I am happy that it is loaded with this tool that works. Very Happy Certainly it is the same syetem that the 400D has.
Best of luck
Andy

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know how effective is the 400D sensor cleaning system.
I read a comparison of cleaning system from 4 dslr & canon was the worst.
When you buy a new dslr, it is usually very dirty and need cleaning.
If you shot under 8 you don't see most of dust.
Shot at 11-16 and you will get a heart attack.
Every 1 to 3 months of playing with mflenses & bellows, for me the only solution is eclipse (actually E2 for 400d & 5d).
It is the same easy to clean sensor as clean a lens.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A word of caution here:

The makers of Eclipse say that one should not use Eclipse E2 to clean lenses or filters.

'Tis inscribed on the bottle. Smile

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

poilu wrote:
I don't know how effective is the 400D sensor cleaning system.

Let me give figures:

- number of times I see my photos taken with 5D and wished I had cleaned the sensor: 100%

- number of times I see my photos taken with 400D and wished I had cleaned the sensor: 0%

These are the figures of everyday use from a user who uses both cameras everyday.

-
Quote:
It is the same easy to clean sensor as clean a lens.

Which is not easy at all - I mean to clean WELL a lens. Especially multicoated lenses.
Another thing to consider: products like the sensor brushes and Eclipse, cost money. Especially the sensor brushes.
So what is wiser, to upgrade from 350D to 400D and lose a 200 Euros or so in the process, or to keep the 350D and have to regularly buy sensor brushes, which are made for finite uses and cost (the good ones) even up to 50 Euros? Not to mention the liquid which must be a specific one for sensors.
In a short time, the financial advantage of not to upgrade, is all lost in the need to buy these cleaning products - and, you also have to frequently go and touch your sensor's surface, which is not, in my opinion, ideal for the sensor, just as much as it's not ideal for the front glass of a lens to be continuously cleaned, even if following all rules.

So in my opinion, when the upgrade path is so relatively cheap, it makes no sense to stay with the old model. The 400D is a better camera and not only because of sensor shaker. It has also a better LCD display and gives better light metering results.
Not to mention, of course, the higher resolution figure.
-

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Orio. I have three DSLRs: a Pentax *istD, a Canon EOS 1Ds and a Pentax K10d. The Canon offers incredible image quality (except above 400 ISO), fast and reliable autofocus, top notch light metering and a lot of advantages due to its full format sensor. But guess what, I am using the K10d a lot more than the Canon. The main reason is that I almost never had a problem with dust on the K10d, while it has always been a major nuisance on the 1Ds. I am bored of cleaning the sensor and spending hours patching dust specks in Photoshop, so I use the Canon only when I really need the big sensor.

Cheers!

Abbazz

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
- number of times I see my photos taken with 5D and wished I had cleaned the sensor: 100%
- number of times I see my photos taken with 400D and wished I had cleaned the sensor: 0%

That's the joke of the day. If I had a 5D and a 400D my 400D will be clean. Guess why, because it will stay in a bag Twisted Evil Smile

Seriously take the sky at f22 and look how good is the auto clean system on the 400D.
Orio your 5D need a serious clean Shocked I count more than 20 big fat dust circle on the volna9 shot Razz

test of allyoucanupload
I add circle to show you the position

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

poilu wrote:

Seriously take the sky at f22 and look how good is the auto clean system on the 400D.

My 400D sensor cleaner works. You can not believe me, that is your business. But I would like to help other people in making a right choice if I can, by sharing the correct information that I can, after my direct use of the camera.
The sensor cleaner on the 400D works so well, that if a new version of 5D with sensor cleaner is released, I will, if finances will allow, sell my current 5D and get the new model, without hesitation.

Also, the 400D is a highly respectable camera, that is, under several aspects, more advanced than the 5D.

- faster and more comfortable interface
- better image quality of LCD screen (real image colours)
- more info available inside the viewfinder
- the antidust shaker
- FAR more accurate light metering
- more accurate and neutral colour rendition (yes! 5D casts a pinkish tone on anything)
- higher relative resolution (more pixels oer square inch) which turns out in the 400D being a better camera for testing high-end lenses such as Contax or Leica to their limits.

-

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had my 400D since the beginning of the year.... 10 months, about 6,000 exposures, 3 screen changes and maybe 500 lens changes.

I have had a speck of dust appear in a picture ONE time.

I've never cleaned the sensor.

I can't speak for what other cameras would be like.... if this sounds like a good performance to you, then I suppose it is.

rick : ) =

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The simpliest process to clean at least non sticky particules on a sensor is to blow them with air blower : use the "cleaning sensor" function, with fresh battery, then the body toward the floor, blow some air inside the camera room.

No problem, you haven't touched the sensor in any way, and most of the particules are gone...

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rick_oleson wrote:
I've had my 400D since the beginning of the year.... 10 months, about 6,000 exposures, 3 screen changes and maybe 500 lens changes.

I have had a speck of dust appear in a picture ONE time.

I've never cleaned the sensor.

I can't speak for what other cameras would be like.... if this sounds like a good performance to you, then I suppose it is.

rick : ) =

I second this - exactly my experience too, although only around 2500 exposures. I found one shot which had several dust specks. The next shot was taken after I'd switched the camera off and on again - perfectly clean again. To be honest, I'd forgotten all about dust specks until this thread.