Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Sears 55mm f1.4
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

here's mine.. perhaps it is cosina after all?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

benadamx wrote:
here's mine.. perhaps it is cosina after all?

Not sure. This design is typical of Mamiya/Sekor SX lenses. The Cosina's typically have a silver ring inside of the name ring. Or sometimes it is painted black. It is located between de name ring and the ribbed ring. Yours hasn't. I don't see the receded ring under the aperture ring on your copy either (Tomioka made lenses have that ring as well. It is where the a/m switch resides). According to allphotolenses it was made by mamiya themselves.
http://allphotolenses.com/lenses/item/c_2630.htm

Apparently Sears also contracted lenses from them. Does your lens have the typical flat rear element? It would make Mamiya the third manufacturer of this lens design. Does your lens have an A/M switch? SX doesn't have that.

Last edited by D1N0 on Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:58 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D1N0 wrote:

Apparently Sears also contracted lenses from them. Does your lens have the typical flat rear element? It would make mamiya the third manufacturer of this lens design. Does your lens have an A/M switch? SX doesn't have that.

the rear element seems flat-ish but not literally flat.. no A/M switch, just an auto-aperture pin on the flange with no way to toggle it to manual, which is why i dont often shoot with this lens

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is some interesting stuff in this thread on flickr:
https://www.flickr.com/groups/m42_lenses_and_dslrs/discuss/72157610029922645/

Tomioka was owned by Yashica, Mamiya had their own lens factory called Sekor.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

D1N0 wrote:

i have often wondered if Sekor might me a japanese-style abbreviation for Sears Corporation, unsure if the sekor make shows up on non-sears mamiya stuff.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

benadamx wrote:
D1N0 wrote:

i have often wondered if Sekor might me a japanese-style abbreviation for Sears Corporation, unsure if the sekor make shows up on non-sears mamiya stuff.

Mamiya's own slr's and lenses had sekor on them. Apparently Revuenon-Special lenses are also made by Mamiya/Sekor. The name originates from the factory name:
It was this Mamiya Setagaya factory (later called Setagaya Koki) that originated the Sekor lens name.

Last edited by D1N0 on Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:55 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D1N0 wrote:
benadamx wrote:
D1N0 wrote:

Mamiya's own dslr lenses had sekor on them. Apparently Revuenon-Special lenses are also made by Mamiya/Sekor. The name originates from the factory name:
It was this Mamiya Setagaya factory (later called Setagaya Koki) that originated the Sekor lens name.

I think that Tomioka functioned quite separately from Yashica until they merged/were taken over/amalgamated.
Mamiya Sekor lenses graced all sorts of cameras from SLRs, TLRs and Medium format.
They are quality optics for sure. Not sure Mamiya ever made a DSLR Smile
Revuenon Special Lenses look like good value for sure if they are Mamiya Sekors re-branded.
Well worth trying I think
Tom

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KEO wrote:
vivaldibow wrote:
Thanks for the photos. Now I am more inclined to believe I have a different version of this 55mm f/1.4.

You should post some pics of it. Sears put their brand on cameras and lenses from many different manufacturers.

The picture is in my first post.

Finally I got a pair of these, one Rikenon and one Sears (sn starting with 2). The Rikenon has many scratches on the rear element. The Sears is in perfect condition.
Not sure if they are radioactive. Probably not, as the glass is still pretty clear, i.e., not yellowed. Had some test shots, wide open is slightly sharper than my previous
Sears version. I like the new version better.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Mamiya SX lenses, as Someone told here once, was the intent of Mamiya to made their own lenses. No more Cosina normal lenses (see cosinon 55/1,4 and 55/1,8 in M42, they are the mamiya's TL and DTL lenses)

The 55/1,4 un 7/5 was based in the old first version of the Contarex lens.

The teles and the w.a. lenses of the mamiya TL/DTL were Tomioka. Very good ones.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D1N0 wrote:
benadamx wrote:
D1N0 wrote:

Mamiya's own slr's and lenses had sekor on them. Apparently Revuenon-Special lenses are also made by Mamiya/Sekor. The name originates from the factory name:

As far as I know, the Revuenon Special 135/2,8 on M42 is a tokina lens.
The same like the Mamiya TL/DTL 135/2,8 Lena.
Very good, of course

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

papasito wrote:
The Mamiya SX lenses, as Someone told here once, was the intent of Mamiya to made their own lenses. No more Cosina normal lenses (see cosinon 55/1,4 and 55/1,8 in M42, they are the mamiya's TL and DTL lenses)

The teles and the w.a. lenses of the mamiya TL/DTL were Tomioka. Very good ones.

Good to know about all these things. Thanks.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vivaldibow wrote:
papasito wrote:

Good to know about all these things. Thanks.

I has read again my post.
I made a mistake.

Teles and w.a lenses for Mamiya TL/DTL were made by tokina, not by Tomioka.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vivaldibow wrote:
Not sure if they are radioactive. Probably not, as the glass is still pretty clear, i.e., not yellowed.

None of the Auto Sears versions are radioactive afaik. Only some of the Auto Rikenons are radioactive - probably the earlier ones with lower serials, but I don't know that for sure, or where the change from radioactive to non-radioactive may have happened.

I know one of my Auto Rikenons did have slight yellowing (which cleared up completely after about 48 hours of UV exposure).

These are really great lenses. The more you shoot with them the more you will appreciate them.

If they had three more aperture blades they'd be perfect. Wink

The real question is whether they're the same lens as the Mamiya/Sekor 55mm f/1.4, which looks almost exactly the same...

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hope you don't mind if I join the thread.

Rikenon has a slightly curved rear element. Sears is completely flat. Just based on random shooting the Auto Sears seems to be sharper. Any thoughts on the maker?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rikenon made by Cosina, Sears by Tomioka.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bobo777 wrote:
Hope you don't mind if I join the thread.

Rikenon has a slightly curved rear element. Sears is completely flat. Just based on random shooting the Auto Sears seems to be sharper. Any thoughts on the maker?

Your Sears seems to be third type as in my previous post. Probably by Tomioka as seen by the solid diamond mark (I should say I am now not too sure about this anymore).

The Rikenon is also different from mine or KEO's. I am not sure about the maker.

Last edited by vivaldibow on Fri Aug 16, 2019 3:21 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vivaldibow wrote:

Finally I got a pair of these, one Rikenon and one Sears (sn starting with 2). The Rikenon has many scratches on the rear element. The Sears is in perfect condition.
Not sure if they are radioactive. Probably not, as the glass is still pretty clear, i.e., not yellowed. Had some test shots, wide open is slightly sharper than my previous

Sorry to bother, but I think I've lost track with this 55/1.4 switcheroo.
I'll talk it out loud and you correct me, okay?

So there are three 55/1.4 made by Cosina, Tomioka and Mamiya.
Whatever is written on the name ring does not matter because.. let's just say, reasons.
I will use brand names not as brand names, but rather to indicate "real" manufacturer.

The one from Cosina has a slightly curved rear element, meters above feet, traditional red focusing mark.
The one from Tomioka has dead flat rear element, feet above meters, diamond focusing mark.
The one from Mamiya has very slightly curved rear element, meters above feet, traditional focusing mark and a very wide aperture ring.

I hope I got this straight and true.

If so, I believe the first Sears you've had was a Mamiya-type and the second (with which you've made the quoted shot) is Cosina-type?
Since Mamiya lost to Cosina this leaves us with Cosina vs Tomioka.
I hope someone has both to do a shootout.

P.S. Since some of those lenses were radioactive I guess there was an early design for this type of glass too, but right now I'm deep enough into a rabbit hole, so let's pretend those don't exist for now.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aidaho wrote:
vivaldibow wrote:

Whatever is written on the name ring does not matter because.. let's just say, reasons.
I will use brand names not as brand names, but rather to indicate "real" manufacturer.

The one from Cosina has a slightly curved rear element, meters above feet, traditional red focusing mark.
The one from Tomioka has dead flat rear element, feet above meters, diamond focusing mark.
The one from Mamiya has very slightly curved rear element, meters above feet, traditional focusing mark and a very wide aperture ring.

If so, I believe the first Sears you've had was a Mamiya-type and the second (with which you've made the quoted shot) is Cosina-type?

P.S. Since some of those lenses were radioactive I guess there was an early design for this type of glass too, but right now I'm deep enough into a rabbit hole, so let's pretend those don't exist for now.

Thanks for the information. It seems my original observation is correct: there are three (or at least three) versions of Sears 55mm f/1.4. Talking about the Tomioka made, I was saying so as well (in my previous post), since I learned from another post about a Chinon 55mm f/1.7 claimed to be Tomioka made and having the solid diamond mark. However, when I searched ebay for Chinon Tomioka made 55mm 1.4, the focusing mark is just a plain dot, not a solid diamond.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/TOMIOKA-JAPAN-Auto-Chinon-55mm-f-1-1-4-M42-MF-Lens-/202688136468?hash=item2f31278514%3Ag%3APRwAAOSwx85c569e&nma=true&si=VXT4IKM346SsH2nXeCMvZgXjcEo%253D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

The following Chinon/Tomioka 55mm 1.2 shows a plain dot as well.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Chinon-55mm-f1-2-Tomioka-M-42-mount-102534-/183878913693?hash=item2ad0098e9d%3Ag%3ATe4AAOSwdAJdBxqi&nma=true&si=VXT4IKM346SsH2nXeCMvZgXjcEo%253D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Other Chinon/Tomioka lenses show similar plain dot. Even Tomioka's own name brand shows a plain solid.

The following link, which claims to be a Tomioka made lens, does have the solid diamond mark.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Tomioka-made-Chinon-55mm-f-1-4-Lens-Yes-THAT-Lens-Fast-Sharp-M42-Mount-C1247-/283532143503?hash=item4203d52b8f%3Ag%3Ajf0AAOSw3YBdGBEH&nma=true&si=VXT4IKM346SsH2nXeCMvZgXjcEo%253D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

So now I am not too convinced the solid diamond is a character from Tomioka. I've seen it somewhere but just couldn't recall the maker.

Back to my 2nd copy with sn 25xxxx, the rear element is dead flat to my eyes. I check it against a light source. But it is very hard to tell if it is dead flat or very very very slight curvature there. Anyway, I think I've learned enough. Perhaps I'll just get another copy with the solid diamond mark and enjoy using them.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vivaldibow wrote:
Thanks for the information.

No-no-no, I'm not providing any.

I'm just trying to distill the info provided by you and other members and asking you and other members to double-check.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The rubber gripped Sears lens matches the example I have that came with a Chinon manufactured Sears 2000 ES camera.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I doubt there are three different versions of this lens made by different manufacturers. More likely there are three different versions (or more) made by a single manufacturer. The design was probably modified over time.

If I set my Mamiya/Sekor 55 1.4 on a table next to my Auto Sears 55 1.4, the dimensions are exactly the same regardless of the substantially different markings or minute changes to the rear element.

I could certainly be wrong.

However, it brings to mind a recent experience I had repairing two lenses - a chrome nose Mamiya/Sekor 55 1.8, and a full chrome body Auto Yashinon 5.5cm F.1,8. Apart from minor modifications to the rear element mount (and a starkly different external appearance), these two are the same lens. The internals match exactly.

Which company is making these lenses for Mamiya, Ricoh, and Yashica? I don't know, but I don't trust external markings anymore.

Maybe more than one company are producing the same design? It's hard to say.

My Auto Sears and Auto Rikenon 55 1.4s are excellent though. Smile

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vivaldibow wrote:
aidaho wrote:
vivaldibow wrote:

Thanks for the information. It seems my original observation is correct: there are three (or at least three) versions of Sears 55mm f/1.4. Talking about the Tomioka made, I was saying so as well (in my previous post), since I learned from another post about a Chinon 55mm f/1.7 claimed to be Tomioka made and having the solid diamond mark. However, when I searched ebay for Chinon Tomioka made 55mm 1.4, the focusing mark is just a plain dot, not a solid diamond.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/TOMIOKA-JAPAN-Auto-Chinon-55mm-f-1-1-4-M42-MF-Lens-/202688136468?hash=item2f31278514%3Ag%3APRwAAOSwx85c569e&nma=true&si=VXT4IKM346SsH2nXeCMvZgXjcEo%253D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

The following Chinon/Tomioka 55mm 1.2 shows a plain dot as well.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Chinon-55mm-f1-2-Tomioka-M-42-mount-102534-/183878913693?hash=item2ad0098e9d%3Ag%3ATe4AAOSwdAJdBxqi&nma=true&si=VXT4IKM346SsH2nXeCMvZgXjcEo%253D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Other Chinon/Tomioka lenses show similar plain dot. Even Tomioka's own name brand shows a plain solid.

The following link, which claims to be a Tomioka made lens, does have the solid diamond mark.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Tomioka-made-Chinon-55mm-f-1-4-Lens-Yes-THAT-Lens-Fast-Sharp-M42-Mount-C1247-/283532143503?hash=item4203d52b8f%3Ag%3Ajf0AAOSw3YBdGBEH&nma=true&si=VXT4IKM346SsH2nXeCMvZgXjcEo%253D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

So now I am not too convinced the solid diamond is a character from Tomioka. I've seen it somewhere but just couldn't recall the maker.

Back to my 2nd copy with sn 25xxxx, the rear element is dead flat to my eyes. I check it against a light source. But it is very hard to tell if it is dead flat or very very very slight curvature there. Anyway, I think I've learned enough. Perhaps I'll just get another copy with the solid diamond mark and enjoy using them.

If you want some more confusion, here is a Cosina Cosinon 55mm 1.4 with the lollipop focus mark: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Cosina-Cosinon-55mm-f1-4-Auto-lens-M42-mount-Tomioka-prime-lens-Sony-FE-NEX/153589696566

I believe that Cosina took over consumer lens production from Tomioka and they may have used the Tomioka brand name in the beginning. The slightly curved or dead flat rear element is probably just a later development Cosina did on the lens.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D1N0 wrote:

If you want some more confusion, here is a Cosina Cosinon 55mm 1.4 with the lollipop focus mark: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Cosina-Cosinon-55mm-f1-4-Auto-lens-M42-mount-Tomioka-prime-lens-Sony-FE-NEX/153589696566

I believe that Cosina took over consumer lens production from Tomioka and they may have used the Tomioka brand name in the beginning. The slightly curved or dead flat rear element is probably just a later development Cosina did on the lens.

I noticed that. Actually there was similar discussion regarding this before.

http://forum.mflenses.com/m42-rikenon-1-4-55mm-convex-rear-tomioka-but-not-cosina-t71154.html

Just interesting read.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have this lens, it is awful performer on open aperture. However there is information, that it is designed as Planar, could be a pure glass.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:04 am    Post subject: Re: Sears 55mm f1.4 Reply with quote

[quote="vivaldibow"]This lens seems to have high praise but somehow I didn't get wide open preformance as sharp as I expected. It is a good lens. Probably I got a different version?

The lens and some samples:

I'm not sure that any 1960/1970's lens, or even 1980's lens was sharp edge to edge, personally I don't mind because that added softness due to spherical aberration and other reason makes for very pleasant images sometimes when you don't wan't pin sharpness everywhere.

Your image no.4 is absolutely delicious and I love that bokeh.

The Angry Photographer speaks about the Rikenon/Sears 55mm in one of his videos as one of the better vintage lenses you can get for a less than astronomical budget.