Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Seal Harbor for Nesster
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 2:05 pm    Post subject: Seal Harbor for Nesster Reply with quote

I took these a couple of weeks ago with the EOS 3/Portra 400NC and the flek 35mm 2.4. A couple are with the 70-200 f/2.8 IS but I can't remember which ones. Next to last one I know. Hard to get good shots in the mid-day sun.

First the business district. Actually probable 7 or 8 cars went by while I was taking these. But wait a few weeks when tourist season starts.

The really bright sun gave me a hard time on some of these.

The 70-200 f/2.8 IS handled the sun well.

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent, Ron, such quaint buildings, I remember seeing a number of
Italianate Victorian houses in Brunswick and points south, but never saw
one going north. 4 and 5 are my faves, good colors.

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, the memories!

Our house by the way is in pic #9, third one from the left, the low ranch house... the McMansion to its left wasn't there in the 70s, that was an empty lot.
We had a Chinese Junk moored in the harbor, and old Doc Stebbins had a black wooden yawl there too, we'd use the big boat house for the dinghies.
I spent many a night on that there lawn, looking up at meteor showers with the M... girls - a family of 6 daughters and 1 son...
The general store was run by... jeez I forget his name, and I doubt he's still there... or maybe he still is. The funny thing was his mailing address was a picture of a seal or something, + zip...
Oh and the post office - one summer I brought home a stray cat I found at college. The cat was used to lots of people around, so he'd walk up the street and hang out by the post office all day. Towards the end of summer he disappeared, we figured he hitched a ride with some summer people and ended up somewhere warm for winter.

Unfortunately just about all the pics I took back then (Olympus Pen FT) are lost, as I lost all my negatives when they closed up a darkroom at college.

Nice sharp pics, probably sharper than my non-spectacled eyes managed back then Wink and the colors are true to memory. Thank you so much, sir!

Last edited by Nesster on Fri May 06, 2011 5:04 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Satu by Nesster, on Flickr

the junk Smile

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice visit to your place Ron, look like a beautiful place to live

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Katastrofo wrote:

Thanks Bill. A lot of old towns around here with this type of building.

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nesster wrote:
Ah, the memories!

Our house by the way is in pic #9, third one from the left, the low ranch house... the McMansion to its left wasn't there in the 70s, that was an empty lot.
We had a Chinese Junk moored in the harbor, and old Doc Stebbins had a black wooden yawl there too, we'd use the big boat house for the dinghies.
I spent many a night on that there lawn, looking up at meteor showers with the M... girls - a family of 6 daughters and 1 son...
The general store was run by... jeez I forget his name, and I doubt he's still there... or maybe he still is. The funny thing was his mailing address was a picture of a seal or something, + zip...
Oh and the post office - one summer I brought home a stray cat I found at college. The cat was used to lots of people around, so he'd walk up the street and hang out by the post office all day. Towards the end of summer he disappeared, we figured he hitched a ride with some summer people and ended up somewhere warm for winter.

Unfortunately just about all the pics I took back then (Olympus Pen FT) are lost, as I lost all my negatives when they closed up a darkroom at college.

Nice sharp pics, probably sharper than my non-spectacled eyes managed back then Wink and the colors are true to memory. Thank you so much, sir!

I'm *REALLY* pleased you enjoyed them and that it brought back good memories. I will have to look through the rest of the 36 exp. roll and see if anything else might interest you. I am in that area quite often and I will make a point to try to catch some shots in the golden light. I'll try to get some with my Mamiya RZ67 proII, that camera takes shots that make my 5DMII drool.

Nice picture of the junk. Was that from when you lived there?

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

poilu wrote:

Thanks Poilu.

Actually I live about an hour and a half north of here. Where I live is all forest and the town isn't big like this one. We have one store with gas pumps. However we are only about 8 miles from a good sized city with multiple shopping malls. A dear friend of mine and his wife visited for a week from Massachusetts and said the day they left "that it was so quiet and peaceful here that he didn't want to go home".

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Schnauzer wrote:
Katastrofo wrote:

Ron, the Italianate style (actually pre-Victorian) is like this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Italianate_architecture

The John Muir mansion is especially close to what I saw. There's one that
is 2 storeys high then has the little room in the middle on the roof, right off
the main drag in Brunswick, fantastic structure. They don't build 'em like
that anymore, and would cost a fortune. The floors must have had 12 foot
ceilings...

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Schnauzer wrote:
poilu wrote:

Thanks Poilu.

Actually I live about an hour and a half north of here. Where I live is all forest and the town isn't big like this one. We have one store with gas pumps. However we are only about 8 miles from a good sized city with multiple shopping malls. A dear friend of mine and his wife visited for a week from Massachusetts and said the day they left "that it was so quiet and peaceful here that he didn't want to go home".

+1 best place to living...

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice picture of the junk. Was that from when you lived there?

thanks, this was probably in Barnegat Bay around '75

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Katastrofo wrote:
Schnauzer wrote:
Katastrofo wrote:

Ron, the Italianate style (actually pre-Victorian) is like this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Italianate_architecture

The John Muir mansion is especially close to what I saw. There's one that
is 2 storeys high then has the little room in the middle on the roof, right off
the main drag in Brunswick, fantastic structure. They don't build 'em like
that anymore, and would cost a fortune. The floors must have had 12 foot
ceilings...

Bill;

Their is a house in Hampden, not far from here on the other side of the Penobscot river that looks amazingly like this one. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Peterson-Dumesnil_House.jpg It was beautiful when I was a kid. The people must have passed away that had it and it started looking bad with trees growing up around it in the 70s. Sometime in the 70s some hippies bought it and painted it purple. At least they cut the trees that were growing up around it and sort of saved it. It has a barn and a nice carriage house. I was by it a couple of years ago and someone is restoring it. That pleases me. I read in the newspaper many years ago that it was used in the underground railroad freeing escaped slaves from the south. It is supposed to have a tunnel from the cellar going down to the Penobscot river.

Now that I think about it I need to get some pictures of it if I can do it with out getting run over. Quite a bit of traffic on that road.

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love seeing places like that, Ron, thanks for sharing.

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a nice Portra 400NC. It's a pity Kodak discontinued it.

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

djmike wrote:
What a nice Portra 400NC. It's a pity Kodak discontinued it.

Sorry I just noticed this. My daughter and her husband are home for a week and I have been Very Busy fixing all the things they brought home for daddy to fix.

I have some of the new portra 120 for my Mamiya RZ67 proII but haven't tried it yet. It is supposed to be as good or better than the old.