Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Seagulls with Nikkor 600/5.6 AI-S
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 7:27 pm    Post subject: Seagulls with Nikkor 600/5.6 AI-S Reply with quote

I shot this Seagull family today with the NEX-7 and the Nikkor 600/5.6 AI-S. Unfortunately the chicks were hiding underneath the mother.

Some basic adjustments done and slightly cropped. ISO 200 and f8. I just thought that I should show an example from this combination.

Double click twice for best resolution.

Last edited by Pontus on Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:52 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amazing clarity , how long and heavy ?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Amazing clarity , how long and heavy ?

It's amazingly compact for a 600mm lens at about 40cm and 2.8 kg.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed, 40 cm is like a little longer 300mm something really.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a 100% crop straight from Aperture without any adjustments. It looks like I front focussed slightly (I aimed for the eye).

Depending on your screen resolution, you might need to double click twice tonget the actual 100% resolution.

Last edited by Pontus on Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:13 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy to say best lens above 300mm what I ever seen.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most impressive results.
Sometimes mirror lenses can be tricky to focus precisely.
You have done well.
OH

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, but this is no mirror lens.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pontus wrote:
Thanks, but this is no mirror lens.

Oops, my mistake.
Still good image.
Cheers
OH

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice job! I just picked up one of these beasts (600mm f/5.6 Nikkor) for similar "wildlife" shots. I am still trying to get the hang of it - so I have nothing to post. My usual rig is a Canon 5D Mark II with the excellent 400mm f/5.6 - which is extremely light, sharp wide open, and quite easy to handhold. The Nikkor is just as sharp wide open, but physically and optically longer and difficult to shoot handheld. I haven't tried it on the Nex 5N yet. Perhaps that will be a better platform than the 5D. It will also afford a 1.6X increase in effective focal length!

Did you handhold your shot? I am guessing you exposed at about 1/1000 sec on the shutter? Finally did you use the Nex 7's 10X MF assistance and focus peaking?

Hoping to get results as good as yours!

Best,

Paul

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used a tripod, 10x MF assistance and 10s timer, ISO 200 and 1/400s. I don't think I would be able to use this lens handheld. Even at f8 the focusing needs to very precise as the DOF is so thin. This is a tough lens to master but quite rewarding when you get everything right. I still have a lot to learn. Next time, I'm going to pre-focus and use a cable release and binoculars to catch the moment.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pontus wrote:
...Next time, I'm going to pre-focus and use a cable release and binoculars to catch the moment.

Thanks for the specs! I am going tripod mounted next time along with an extra arm support for additional stability. I got decent results on static objects with a Bogen window pod from the car, but I can see where this would not be the most rigid solution for birds, etc. I'll have to try the prefocus - binocular method you mentioned - sounds interesting.

Best,

Paul

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

great detail!