Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Schneider Xenoplan 23mm f/1.4 Pentax-Q
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:15 pm    Post subject: Schneider Xenoplan 23mm f/1.4 Pentax-Q Reply with quote

This lens is strange. M23 thread mount, not M25 c-mount! I have to press it into a 5mm M25 extension ring and then adapt it on my Pentax-Q with a c-mount to PQ adapter. Focusing is by turning the M25 extension slightly. The 5mm moving distance is sufficient to cover from 1M to infinity! Very Happy Very Happy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very impressive lens. Great color saturation and seems to have good sharpness.

So I googled "Schneider Xenoplan 23mm f/1.4" and got a couple of hits at B&H Photo/Video. Whew! That's a pricey lens, ain't it? By the way, the one B&H has is a C-mount, not M23. They also have an APO version, which I guess is different from what you have.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quite a nice lens, not so impressed by Pentax-Q

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:

So I googled "Schneider Xenoplan 23mm f/1.4" and got a couple of hits at B&H Photo/Video. Whew! That's a pricey lens, ain't it? By the way, the one B&H has is a C-mount, not M23. They also have an APO version, which I guess is different from what you have.

Not pricey at all. US$25 ending bid (plus US$30 postage) purchased via eBay. I had no idea on how the lens might perform when I placed my bid. Fortunately it turns out to be a good performer! Smile

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="kds315*"]Quite a nice lens, not so impressed by Pentax-Q[/quote]

Agree. But with its approx 11mm registration distance, I have no other camera available to achieve inifinity focus. Smile

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ferrick wrote:
cooltouch wrote:

Not pricey at all. US$25 ending bid (plus US$30 postage) purchased via eBay. I had no idea on how the lens might perform when I placed my bid. Fortunately it turns out to be a good performer! Smile

Okay now you've aroused my curiosity. The Schneider Xenoplan 23mm f/1.4 in C-mount over at B&H is being sold for US $1,376.50. See it here:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/46319-REG/Schneider_21_010425_21_010425_Xenoplan_23_mm.html

If yours is the same -- so what if the mount is different as long as you can adapt. If yours is the same -- it seems to me that you got an unbelievably good deal.

But you know what? I do an eBay search on "Schneider Xenoplan 23mm f/1.4" and I get a bunch of hits, most of which aren't the same lens, but most are similar as to format at least. Which is C-mount video and movie cameras. Lots of fast lenses got picked up on this search, and most of them are being sold for relatively little -- most likely compared to what they sold for new.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ferrick wrote:
kds315* wrote:
Quite a nice lens, not so impressed by Pentax-Q

Agree. But with its approx 11mm registration distance, I have no other camera available to achieve inifinity focus. Smile

Certainly a plus for that camera!! I have some nice D-mount lenses here incl. a SWITAR f0.9 that would be the ideal match.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
ferrick wrote:
cooltouch wrote:

Okay now you've aroused my curiosity. The Schneider Xenoplan 23mm f/1.4 in C-mount over at B&H is being sold for US $1,376.50. See it here:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/46319-REG/Schneider_21_010425_21_010425_Xenoplan_23_mm.html

If yours is the same -- so what if the mount is different as long as you can adapt. If yours is the same -- it seems to me that you got an unbelievably good deal.

But you know what? I do an eBay search on "Schneider Xenoplan 23mm f/1.4" and I get a bunch of hits, most of which aren't the same lens, but most are similar as to format at least. Which is C-mount video and movie cameras. Lots of fast lenses got picked up on this search, and most of them are being sold for relatively little -- most likely compared to what they sold for new.

The link below shows the lens that I purchased. Not sure if it is the ones you refered to that cost US $1,376.50 !
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/281043829964?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649#ht_1429wt_1170

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm . . . you know one thing that ad points out is it is a "special" f/4 version. Maybe that's why it's cheaper? It looks different from the one at B&H -- at least the exterior does. The lens formula may be the same . . . except for the f/4 part, I suppose.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
Hmmm . . . you know one thing that ad points out is it is a "special" f/4 version. Maybe that's why it's cheaper? It looks different from the one at B&H -- at least the exterior does. The lens formula may be the same . . . except for the f/4 part, I suppose.

No! I am sure it is a f/1.4, not a f/4 version. It is very bright. Most of the photos were taken in a very cloudy early morning and some even at night time. Most were at ISO400 and all handheld. I do not have such a steady hand to produce sharp photos like these ones under such conditions.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Schneider, Rodenstock and other CCTV/machine vision lens manufacturers as well make lenses with special mounts or special fixed f-stop for industrial applications - those are most time cheaper to manufacture than for example the normal iris.

The Apo version of this lens is also quite nice.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZoneV wrote:
Schneider, Rodenstock and other CCTV/machine vision lens manufacturers as well make lenses with special mounts or special fixed f-stop for industrial applications - those are most time cheaper to manufacture than for example the normal iris.

The Apo version of this lens is also quite nice.

Thanks for the information. Smile