Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Schneider Xenon 0.95 25mm c-mount lens
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 5:58 pm    Post subject: Schneider Xenon 0.95 25mm c-mount lens Reply with quote

I would appreciate your thoughts on the SCHNEIDER XENON .95/25mm C-MOUNT for use on 4/3rds camera (Olympus P2 in my case) vs any other f0.95 in the same 25mm focal length.

I have 25mm Dallmeyer and Cooke 1.5 lenses that are marvellous, but I seek a really precise lens with very high image quality and interesting bokeh. In film cameras I had always used Leica and Hasselblad lenses. I hope to find something similar for use in 4/3rds format.

One review I read seemed to prefer the ‘cinematic’ bokeh of the Angenieux .95 and the Ange is less costly.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and experience!

For fun and interest a few shots with my Cooke 25mm, wide open as always:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 Like 1 small

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I looked over your images Wolan. I saw many I liked. This one caught me especially:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I am glad you liked it.
This was taken with a Biotar. It is a unique lens, but to shoot WO and nail the focus one must sweat blood...

Cheers

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Schneider Kreuznach 25mm F0.95 in c-mount.

Very sharp lens on my gh5, at f1.4 the centre is pinsharp even at close range, the edges are less sharp at medium range but start to clear up from f2.8 and up but still very impressive cover for a 1 inch c-mount. The vignette is minimal in m4/3, at least no hard edges or borders. I did a test video a while back, the first part at daylight is with the cooke kinetal 17,5mm the night shots are with the Schneider. I also have a cooke kinetal (speed panchromatic design) in 25mm but haven't uploaded anything yet, also a very fine lens.

please note that YT compresses the hell out of it, the original files are pinsharp.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dSElY6nXvSU&t=119s

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello. Thank you for that information. I had come across that video when I was researching the Schneider interestingly enough.

I don’t have any experience with video so it does not help me to get a sense as to how the lens will behave for my use in still photography. Or, it helps only to a certain degree.

The Cooke Kinic is I think my favorite lens but I have also been gaining appreciation for the Dallmeyer Anastigmat 25mm 1.5.

Any other thoughts on the lenses you like and why you like them would be very appreciated. (I am B&W analogue shooter and used Leica, Hasselblad and Mamiya (6) cameras. Now, I am trying to get more familiar with digital.)

Shot with Dallmeyer:

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess it really depends what you're looking for and personal taste. For me they have to be sharp enough to use wide open and have a certain character in rendering. I have about 25 vintage lenses in all sort of varieties. The cooke kinetals are different from the kinics, they were designed to cover 16mm by Gordon Cook who designed the famous speed panchro's ser II, so they should cover a larger sensor area than the kinics (correct me if I'm wrong).
What's you preferred focal range (on smaller sensors)?
At the moment I'm eyeballing a Kodak cine Anastigmat 50mm f1.6, looks like a great match for m4/3.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
What's you preferred focal range (on smaller sensors)?

All the c-mount cine lenses are relatively new to me so I am learning as I go. The Cooke Kinic is the first lens I have used that has definite character. So far, I like it the best.

The Dallmeyer is quite lovely, soft overall, and functions terribly if there is side light or back-light.

I will soon have the Schneider but understand it as very being different from the previously mentioned: typical German glass I imagine. Sharp and perfect. But I want it for the wide-open uses.

I have included images here from the two lenses I mention, shot wide open as I always do. The only way I can analyze a lens -- as a still photographer -- is to see images.

It would be interesting and helpful if you could describe what lenses give you the most interesting and unusual *rendering* as you accurately called it.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I understand you are looking for certain imperfections and you don't mind the lenses being soft? The 25mm Schneider is the only C-mount lens I have, the cooke are in arrive standard mount and most of my other lenses are in the regular nikon C/Y Olympus M42 and Canon mount. There are so many lenses and an equal amount of flavors out there so it's hard to recommend just from my point of view.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got hold of the Schneider 25mm f0.95. Very precise lens. I include some still shots for anyone who might be interested:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a few of those high speed c-mount lenses, tried them and sold them all later on (with profit)
as I was not really convinced about them. Consider the Canon and Fuji 25mm high speed versions,
as they are good, but somewhat difficult to mount. Also the Kern (Paillard Bolex) Switar f1.1 26mm
is a fine lens.