Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Schneider Tele-Xenar 300mm 5.5 - Info? Opinions?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 4:01 pm    Post subject: Schneider Tele-Xenar 300mm 5.5 - Info? Opinions? Reply with quote

Occasionally I see a Schneider-Kreuznach Tele-Xenar 300mm 5.5 on eBay. Usually in Exakta mount? I own a 200mm 5.5 Tele-Xenar (also EXA) and while it is a bit on the heavy side it is a very nice lens. I can't really find very much on the 300mm though. Does anyone have one? Opinions?

Another thing I am wondering about is why both the 300mm and the 360mm have a (EXA) mount that appears to protrude from the bottom of the body of the lens by 1,5 cm or so?

Regards, C.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have it, but the early 70s 300mm f5.5 from Vivitar etc is probably going to equal or better the performance for substantially less money.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eggplant wrote:
I don't have it, but the early 70s 300mm f5.5 from Vivitar etc is probably going to equal or better the performance for substantially less money.

The Vivitar is a Tokina. I have two Tokina 300mm lenses, an older "preset" design and a newer "Tele-Auto" design. The older design is better in my humble opinion. The newer design is shorter in length but also a good 100 grams heavier (at about 860 grams) and the image quality is worse. I am assuming the Vivitar is based on the newer design. The Schneider I am looking at looks like one of their 1950's designs judging by the styling. If it behaves about the same as a Schneider 150mm 5.5 I own of the same style, then the Vivitar (Tokina) and Schneider might be about the same image quality (nothing to write home about).

Aside: for me this also about exploring lenses. The excitement of discovery and trying out different things. As well as trying to take nice pictures Smile

Regards, C.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

connloyalist wrote:
eggplant wrote:

The Vivitar is a Tokina. I have two Tokina 300mm lenses, an older "preset" design and a newer "Tele-Auto" design. The older design is better in my humble opinion. The newer design is shorter in length but also a good 100 grams heavier (at about 860 grams) and the image quality is worse. I am assuming the Vivitar is based on the newer design. The Schneider I am looking at looks like one of their 1950's designs judging by the styling. If it behaves about the same as a Schneider 150mm 5.5 I own of the same style, then the Vivitar (Tokina) and Schneider might be about the same image quality (nothing to write home about).

Aside: for me this also about exploring lenses. The excitement of discovery and trying out different things. As well as trying to take nice pictures Smile

Regards, C.

Interesting! Not a problem, nice that you have both to compare.

Just my 2c, I own a Vivitar 300mm f5.5 that looked nice on mft wide open without a speedbooster.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Tele-Xenar was a specific lens formula at the time. IMHO not all Tele-Xenars perform similarly, from the ones I've had. I had a prewar 18cm that had "personality", and I still have the conventionally excellent 1960's 360mm, so performance of the 300mm is unpredictable.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

luisalegria wrote:
The Tele-Xenar was a specific lens formula at the time. IMHO not all Tele-Xenars perform similarly, from the ones I've had. I had a prewar 18cm that had "personality", and I still have the conventionally excellent 1960's 360mm, so performance of the 300mm is unpredictable.

Your answer stimulates my sense of exploration and discovery Wink

I suppose that comes under the heading "GAS" Smile

Regards, C.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GAS can lead to impulse buying of barely average things.....I've learnt that.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

martinsmith99 wrote:
GAS can lead to impulse buying of barely average things.....I've learnt that.

This is true.

Regards, C.