Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Schneider Tele-Xenar 3.5/135
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 11:37 am    Post subject: Schneider Tele-Xenar 3.5/135 Reply with quote

I am really in love with this lens. It produces images that look different from both the Sonnar and Planar types, especially in the bokeh department.
It is sharp wide open, just as much as it is stopped down. Stopping down only increases the DOF.
The bokeh is certainly not of the "smooth" type but I like it. It also seem to deliver quite a good depth perception.
What I like most however is the "cinematic" feel of the images. Yes they look to me like if they could be taken from a movie. I can't explain why but I had that feeling since I started using it.
Shots # 1,2,4,7 13,14,15 are examples of that.
I have found very little image samples from this lens online, prior to buying it. It looks like it really is a hidden gem.
Apparently this set of mine is the first extensive sample set from this lens that is published on the Internet.
Icing on the cake is that it is really affordable. I got mine in mint condition for 70 Euros.

All the photos in this sample set, are taken wide open (and hand-held):

01:

02:

03:

04:

05:

06:

07:

08:

09:

10:

11:

12:

13:

14:

15:

16:

17:

18:

19:

20:

21:

22:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Impressive IQ indeed Orio! Thanks for sharing!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like a lense to have - if one doesn't already have enough. Beautiful pictures.

There are some more with people on Yoyo31's flickr page:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/yoyo31/sets/72157608003169566/

They are of course much smaller, but I like to go back to these pages in order to compare and check, when I'm inetrested in a lense. Especially useful since lots of data are given.

Thomas

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can understand you, Orio.
This is one of the 135mm lenses that I have kept.

Sometimes cam, lens and photographer work together well. And this is the case here.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

madamasu wrote:
Looks like a lense to have - if one doesn't already have enough. Beautiful pictures.
There are some more with people on Yoyo31's flickr page:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/yoyo31/sets/72157608003169566/
They are of course much smaller, but I like to go back to these pages in order to compare and check, when I'm inetrested in a lense. Especially useful since lots of data are given.
Thomas

Well, maybe not super large, but large enough!
Thanks for the link, I missed that page somehow. Very good portraits to confirm the lens is a keeper.

LucisPictor wrote:
I can understand you, Orio.
This is one of the 135mm lenses that I have kept.
Sometimes cam, lens and photographer work together well. And this is the case

Thanks Carsten. I don't remember you having shown pictures with this lens before. What version you have? Mine is "zebrated".

By the way, curious how different makers all made zebrated lens astride 60s and 70s.
Maybe that was a virus who infected designers Rolling Eyes Laughing

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh my god!! Shocked

tf

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:

Thanks Carsten. I don't remember you having shown pictures with this lens before. What version you have? Mine is "zebrated".

Juat recently, again.:
http://forum.mflenses.com/schneider-kreuznach-rollei-sl-tele-xenar-3-5-135-t21804,highlight,schneider+xenar.html

I have got a newer Rollei QBM version.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:
Orio wrote:

Juat recently, again.:
http://forum.mflenses.com/schneider-kreuznach-rollei-sl-tele-xenar-3-5-135-t21804,highlight,schneider+xenar.html

And I even commented on it... Rolling Eyes must be arteriosclerosis Rolling Eyes
Maybe the fact that it was Rollei has confused me.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great Orio - looks like a major keeper for any collection

patrickh

PS How do you find these cats everywhere?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

patrickh wrote:

patrickh
PS How do you find these cats everywhere?

Well, in the castle of Vigoleno there live 6 resident people Smile
Cats really own the place Very Happy Especially if you go there on working days when there are no tourists.

Plus I have this thing that all cats come to me everywhere I go Rolling Eyes
If I was buddhist I'd say I was a cat in a previous life - or perhaps I'll be a cat in my next one and these little guys can perceive it Laughing

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow! impressive contrast & 3D Shocked

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
LucisPictor wrote:
Orio wrote:

Juat recently, again.:

And I even commented on it... Rolling Eyes must be arteriosclerosis Rolling Eyes
Maybe the fact that it was Rollei has confused me.

Wink

"Schneider" the third name among "Leitz" and "Zeiss"!
(And "Steinheil" used to knock at the door...)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simple superb , I rather below result come from you and 5DII than lens itself.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, beautiful !

You kept very well those old stones and woods.
I like the door's picture very much.

Smile

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These images are seriously sharp. IQ is great. Locker picture is very nice. Congrats for the lovely set and nice review.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

****Simple superb , I rather below result come from you and 5DII than lens itself.****

That's what I was thinking, this member can make an ordinary Vivitar 135mm f2.8 a classic and with photoshop what is true any more.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excalibur wrote:
****Simple superb , I rather below result come from you and 5DII than lens itself.****

That's what I was thinking, this member can make an ordinary Vivitar 135mm f2.8 a classic and with photoshop what is true any more.

Sorry Excalibur, I don't understand what you mean by speaking about photoshop.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Olivier wrote:
Excalibur wrote:

Sorry Excalibur, I don't understand what you mean by speaking about photoshop.

Well I'm not suggesting an excellent photographer like Orio fiddled the shot in photoshop........but how do you get your results of shots....raw, Jpg, film, scanner, or whatever file onto a computer, dvd, or a print? Well isn't a program used? And if using a program like Photoshop is there a temptation to change or alter the shot?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't post-process my shots.
I develop raw using the controls of either Breezebrowser Pro or Lightroom.
Obviously while developing the raw I adjust exposure for optimization, and the white balance.
Sometimes I adjust saturation, only when it's needed, and by small amounts. In this specific case, I did not.
That's it. The rest of my "secrets" are in the correct light reading, and in the care for composition.
And in the good lenses that I have Wink

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to find another "puristic shooter"! My "process" Orio is the same
than yours in principle, except that I develop RAW using Bibble,
otherwise it's identical! I do the work before and while I'm shooting.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do the same.
I don't like to post process my pictures and I like to try to obtain the best results when shooting.
I don't have Photoshop and don't like it too much.

For Raw developments, I use the Canon software bundle : Digital Photo Professional. It is free and very well followed as there is a new release when a new Canon Dslr comes out. Generally, there are interesting improvements each time.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for digging up this old topic but....
Today I found one of these in one of my old camera bags. Never used it actually, I think it came with a camera set that included another lens I wanted. Pictures look very promising, so I'm eager to try it! Hopefully the results are fine as well on my E-P1.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the 75mm Tele-Xenar for Robot (now used on m4/3) and also that one is razor sharp, see
http://forum.mflenses.com/tele-xenar-f3-8-75mm-robot-autumn-walk-t33828.html

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice, some of the flower pictures look spectacular! What kind of adapter do you use to fit it on m4/3?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robot to m4/3 of course - what else?