Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Schneider Kreuznach Xenar 2,8/50:how to adapt to EOS EF?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:25 pm    Post subject: Schneider Kreuznach Xenar 2,8/50:how to adapt to EOS EF? Reply with quote

Hello Everybody
I have a Schneider Kreuznach Xenar 50mm f:2.8, M39 mount lens (Paxette camera), which I wish to use on a Eos camera (EF mount).
The register of the Paxette camera is the same of EOS camera (44mm) , so using an adapter M39 to EOS Ef mount it does not permit to focus a subject to infinite. A similar problem I had with a Staeble Kata lens , that I resolved by adjusting the focusing ring of the lens (simple unscrewing the focusing ring and rotating it properly to correct the registers by few decimillimeters). Something similar I would do on the Xenar. Here are some pictures of the lens.

I tried to unscrew the the focusing ring (see the arrows red and black on the images), but it does not seams so easy.
Have someone any suggestion?
Thanks all
Cheers
Giorgio

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 7:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Schneider Kreuznach Xenar 2,8/50:how to adapt to EOS EF? Reply with quote

Hi Giorgio,
Infinity focus is always a pain for OLD lens, your solution is brilliant.
It looks like we're on the same boat, is it locked internally?

Marco

gi0rgi0ba wrote:
Hello Everybody
I have a Schneider Kreuznach Xenar 50mm f:2.8, M39 mount lens (Paxette camera), which I wish to use on a Eos camera (EF mount).
The register of the Paxette camera is the same of EOS camera (44mm) , so using an adapter M39 to EOS Ef mount it does not permit to focus a subject to infinite. A similar problem I had with a Staeble Kata lens , that I resolved by adjusting the focusing ring of the lens (simple unscrewing the focusing ring and rotating it properly to correct the registers by few decimillimeters). Something similar I would do on the Xenar. Here are some pictures of the lens.

I tried to unscrew the the focusing ring (see the arrows red and black on the images), but it does not seams so easy.
Have someone any suggestion?
Thanks all
Cheers
Giorgio

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:22 am    Post subject: Re: Schneider Kreuznach Xenar 2,8/50:how to adapt to EOS EF? Reply with quote

mareinke wrote:
Hi Giorgio,

Marco
[/quote]

I Marco,
I found a solution: I separated the optics from the focusing helicoid by removing the safety ring (red arrow below)

in this way I found an inner ring (green arrow), its thickness is about 2 mm.

then filing it a bit to reduce its thickness to 1mm, or replacing it by a thinner ring will be a better solution. I found a good solution replacing it with a brass wire which I was able to perfectly adapted to the lens and eventually reversebly return to its original condition uncompromising the lens.
we can correct the flange distance of the lens and getting the infinite focus on EOS EF camera.

finest adjustment can be done by acting on the helicoid removing the red screw and remounting the inner thread in the right position

Giorgio

Last edited by gi0rgi0ba on Mon Apr 01, 2019 12:36 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Schneider Kreuznach Xenar 2,8/50:how to adapt to EOS EF? Reply with quote

Congrats! I like your DIY project.

Like 1 Like 1

gi0rgi0ba wrote:
mareinke wrote:
Hi Giorgio,

Marco