Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

SCHNEIDER-KREUZNACH KREONITE BETAVARON 3.5...11/0.08
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:51 pm    Post subject: SCHNEIDER-KREUZNACH KREONITE BETAVARON 3.5...11/0.08 Reply with quote

I watched auctions for 6 months before one of these came up.
Challenging to work with but so sharp it makes a razor look dull.
I can get infinity at one end of the zoom. These were taken using a tripod, macro rail, and the zoom mechanism plus many shifts of the tripod to get framing and focus both correct. If anybody is familiar with using this for macro please let me know any tricks!

Here is a 100% crop:

Here's the shot.

another crop.

some shots:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used want one of these but I ended up give up after sometime. It is hard to use than a normal macro lens. But if you can overcome its limit, it can give you excellent result, as you prove it yourself.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I mentioned it is a serious challenge to compose and focus. In a studio setting it might be easier, using a dolly and a macro rail both. It takes large movements of the camera to get it into focus and the"zoom" goes the opposite way of what you would expect. Lots of fussing involved. But when you nail the focus it is just stellar if you want great color and extremely crisp focus.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 small Like 1 small Like 1 small nice results you got!!

I have two slightly different variants since many years, quite cheap then:
http://www.macrolenses.de/ml_detail.php?ObjektiveNr=8

http://www.macrolenses.de/ml_detail.php?ObjektiveNr=163

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think I did too bad, 87 usd

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 Like 1
Interesting!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting design: https://post.smzdm.com/p/517613/pic_7/#bigImg
or see 8th photo: http://www.ebay.in/geb/ImportHubViewItem?itemid=262575704094

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Klaus, mine came with what appears to be a 39mm jam nut stuck to a nikon cap. Or perhaps it is a VERY robust nikon 39mm cap? What is the proper cap, if there is one?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jamaeolus wrote:
I don't think I did too bad, 87 usd

Like 1 small

jamaeolus wrote:
Klaus, mine came with what appears to be a 39mm jam nut stuck to a nikon cap. Or perhaps it is a VERY robust nikon 39mm cap? What is the proper cap, if there is one?

I got mine used, without cap. It's an enlarger lens, a jum nut could make sense...

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Klaus Mine is slightly different from the ones you post. The zoom range is 3 to 11, and the objective is NOT recessed. Which is a bit scary! Any idea what the aperture numbers correspond to? FL of 50 to 125mm?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jamaeolus wrote:
Klaus Mine is slightly different from the ones you post. The zoom range is 3 to 11, and the objective is NOT recessed. Which is a bit scary! Any idea what the aperture numbers correspond to? FL of 50 to 125mm?

Hmm, different, more recent version I guess. My 3...10 is 50mm ... 125mm focal length, yours might be 50mm ... 150mm (?)

Does it look like this one? Click here to see on Ebay This is 3.5 ... 11

Show pictures of it please!!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes that is the style. It is very heavy, zoom is extremely smooth, aperture clicks at numbers but can easily stop at half numbers. It is in extremely good shape. These must have been quite expensive when new. I can't imagine they had millions of copies to defray development cost and it is clearly top of the line optical equipment. Using it is both a joy and a challenge!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is from the sellers auction photo. It's mounted on the camera a7ii at th moment. I'll try to snap some shots of it a bit later.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A shot of an aphid on a yellow tulip.

and the crop

as I said challenging but rewarding. Likely not gonna work on a moving insect....

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks darn good!!! Like 1 small Like 1 small Like 1 small

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Klaus, Enrico Savazzi has some info about it here:

http://www.savazzi.net/photography/betavaron.htm