Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Schneider Kreuznach 105mm f3.5 Tele Xenar in Exakta mount
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:49 pm    Post subject: Schneider Kreuznach 105mm f3.5 Tele Xenar in Exakta mount Reply with quote

I posted the thread below over at Rangefinder Forum some months back after buying a Schneider Kreuznach 105mm f3.5 Tele Xenar and then updated it today after realizing that I had not previously posted images from this lens. (See also below for these image samples)

I am interested in finding out more and thought this is the place to do so as these lenses don't attract many hits when I search the internet and guys here seem to know more about European lenses of this era than anyone I know. I have also searched this forum and Schneider Kreuznach Xenars do come up but none which seem to be the type in my focusing mount. Having said this the images all appear very good and characteristic of the better German makes of that era - a little low contrast, sharp with lovely OOF areas.

But I would appreciate any information members can offer. I am aware that there is a similar 135mm f4.5 and any info on that would help.

RFF Thread: https://www.rangefinderforum.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=162824

The Lens:

Some images made with it:

Cafe Study 27 by Life in Shadows, on Flickr

Cafe Study 29 by Life in Shadows, on Flickr

Cafe Study 26 by Life in Shadows, on Flickr

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your lens image is not showing for some reason. I have been on a Schneider kick for a while now. Yes they are generally considered a top tier manufacturer, in the same league as Zeiss and Steinheil. I have the Retina lenses curtagon, 35mm and also 28mm, the xenar in 50mm 1.9 and 45mm 2.8, tele-xenar in 135mm and 200mm and the lovely tele-arton 85mm. I also managed to snag an exakta mount 90mm 2.8 which must be rare as I have been trying to see what its worth watching e-bay and non have come up for auction in the last 6 months or so. Lovely shots. I like the hint of window reflection , gives an air of mystery....

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice images! The Xenars are mostly 4 element, 3 group designs, commonly referred to as Tessar types. F/3.5 is typically the maximum aperture this design allows with decent performance. As you stop down, sharpness will increase to about f/8, as will corner resolution, while vignetting and CA will drop off. You may notice what some photographers refer to as a "3D" look to images. A capable and fun lens to shoot that produces a classic, vintage look.

Enjoy!

Paul

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 small Like 1 small Like 1 small very nice results you got!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 Like 1 Like 1

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jamaeolus wrote:
Your lens image is not showing for some reason. I have been on a Schneider kick for a while now. Yes they are generally considered a top tier manufacturer, in the same league as Zeiss and Steinheil. I have the Retina lenses curtagon, 35mm and also 28mm, the xenar in 50mm 1.9 and 45mm 2.8, tele-xenar in 135mm and 200mm and the lovely tele-arton 85mm. I also managed to snag an exakta mount 90mm 2.8 which must be rare as I have been trying to see what its worth watching e-bay and non have come up for auction in the last 6 months or so. Lovely shots. I like the hint of window reflection , gives an air of mystery....

Its odd that it is not showing for you, as it does show embedded in this thread n my PC. I will try again though in case others have this issue too.

Here is a clickable link to an image shown at the top of the thread linked below.

https://www.photo.net/discuss/threads/m42-schneider-kreuznach-xenar-105mm-f3-5.472519/

best regards

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

..............."I like the hint of window reflection , gives an air of mystery...."

Thanks, by the way. This is is something I do a lot in my photography for pretty much exactly the reason you have stated. Its a nice touch if I do say so myself. Although I cannot really take credit - its something Saul Leiter did constantly back in the 1950's and 1960's . (If you do not know Leiter's work by all means look him up on the internet he was a marvel in his color work especially). He is well worth studying and if anything it demonstrates that good photography is not necessarily all about ultra sharp or crystal clear images. Some blur, some fuzziness, some ghosting and vignetting can work wonders if you want an artistic "take" on an image.

A few more samples of my shots are below (though obviously not with the Schneider). I am kind of addicted to these artistic flourishes that leave room for interpretation by the viewer. And I have found that a lot of vintage lenses lend themselves to this perfectly as their aberrations add to the mystery.

Through a Glass, Darkly by Life in Shadows, on Flickr

Shadow, Light and Reflections by Life in Shadows, on Flickr

Whispers by Life in Shadows, on Flickr

Through a Glass, Darkly 2 (Ghosts in a WIndow) by Life in Shadows, on Flickr

Through a Glass, Darkly 4 by Life in Shadows, on Flickr