Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Schneider Curtagon 2.8/35 quick test shots
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 7:25 pm    Post subject: Schneider Curtagon 2.8/35 quick test shots Reply with quote

I recently acquired this Curtagon in pretty good shape. Came with the original box and a receipt from 1971. The lens was made in 1958, so I assume the receipt is from a second hand purchase. Only issue is the DOF scale has detached from the focus ring and no longer turns when you focus.

I can only find a diagram showing a 5 element scheme, but I count 6 reflections and Schneider's website lists 6 elements in 6 groups. I know that the Exakta and Edixa (m42 version) used different optics. Not sure if there is a practical reason or if it had to do with price.

In any event I've not heard many praise this lens, and I don't think I will be doing much praising either going by my test shots on digital.

^ shot at f/2.8

^ shot at f/5.6

The lens is very soft wide open. No point in showing a crop because it's apparent even in the resize. It is also very susceptible to flare which one would expect of any early wide angle lens.

At 5.6 though it is plenty sharp, and from corner to corner (well on my digital sensor, I'll wait and see on full frame).

Boke' quality is pleasing (to me) showing some character without being distracting. It is actually a little less nervous than with the Xenon.

This is an astonishingly heavy lens, robustly made of brass - it feels like it almost weighs as much as the Exa! None of that lightweight alloy Zeiss stuff from Schneider. It leaves much to be desired for wide open performance, but at average apertures it is really pretty sharp, and the rendering for an early retrofocus design is decidedly smooth. One thing that I can already see myself falling for is the color rendering. The contrast and color stood out as soon as I got the images downloaded on my comp. Other wide angles from this era that I have used deliver rather soft colors and flat contrast, so I was surprised by how saturated and how crisp these images were even for the strong front and side lit conditions.

Mixed performance overall, but it looks good on my Exaktas.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting, how's it's performance compared to Black curtagon 35?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a beauty. Collector's passion kicks in.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IAZA wrote:

I seem to recall the later compact version performing a little better wide open. I know Schneider revised some of their lenses, so it's not beyond belief the Curtagon also got recalculated sometime between the 1950s and the late 1960s. Or at least that coating technology improved.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mos6502 wrote:
IAZA wrote:

I seem to recall the later compact version performing a little better wide open. I know Schneider revised some of their lenses, so it's not beyond belief the Curtagon also got recalculated sometime between the 1950s and the late 1960s. Or at least that coating technology improved.

There are two types of compact C-Curtagon. As I heard, the heavy version with phillips screw is better than the light version with improved coating. Later, Schneider made the SL-Angulon for Rollei which is the most versatile 35mm I have.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't bother putting film in it, just walk round town holding it and wait for all the admiring looks…

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks better than my c-curtagon, but - bit pricey for my wallet, why so expensive?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DrBB wrote:
Looks better than my c-curtagon, but - bit pricey for my wallet, why so expensive?

Some sellers think any old German lens is worth a fortune. I paid less than $50 for mine, but it has the problem with the DOF scale. I think that's about a fair price for a user lens.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a picture taken with Retina Curtagon 35/2,8. on Canon 5D m-k II. Aperture is f4.

[/url]

Last edited by Paulius on Wed Nov 26, 2014 11:01 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And central portion:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

However corners are blur.
Is Exacta version works the same way?