Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Schacht Travelon 1.8/50
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 5:54 am    Post subject: Re: Schacht Travelon 1.8/50 Reply with quote

Congratulations on the new lens!

Mos6502 wrote:
OOF rendering is very edgy wide open, in common with all other Schacht lenses I have used.

I beg to differ. My Schacht Travenar 90/2.8 has one of the beautifulest background bokeh I have ever seen, very smooth and without any brightlines. As an illustration, here are some gorgeous pictures that Tobias Guttmann (Tobbsman) published a while back on this forum:

Credit: Tobias Guttmann

Cheers!

Abbazz

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

calvin83 wrote:

The reason of the high price is caused by huge demand from Asia. Some of the German SLR lenses have pretty unique characters which make them very desired by Asia photographers.

But the Japanese also produced the Fujinon 2.2/55, the Petri Orikkor 2/50, and the Takumar 2.4/58 and 2/58 - all lenses which are of unique design in the 35mm SLR world, and all of which produce distinctive rendering. But that is getting a bit off topic.

@Abbazz : you can see the distinctive "schacht look" in the last photo if you look closely.

@Mo : Indeed. It is nice to have the right lenses for the cameras, and the Edixas are very picky about which automatic lenses they will work with. It is a bit funny though that Edixa SLRs are commonly derided but were generally sold with what are now some of the most desirable or hardest to find lenses out there.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree the Orikkor and the two takumar is pretty unique. That is why the are more expensive than other Japanese 50s.

(OT)
From what I know, the Orikkor and the Nikkor-S are the only two seven elements 2/50s made in Japanese for SLR.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mos6502 wrote:
I have a personal opinion that most old German lenses are overrated anyway, performing no better than most old Japanese lenses of the same era but commanding two or three times as much money.

I share that opinion.

It's a recent phenomenon due to Asians, same thing has happened with British lenses from Dallmeyer, TT&H, Ross etc.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
Mos6502 wrote:
I have a personal opinion that most old German lenses are overrated anyway, performing no better than most old Japanese lenses of the same era but commanding two or three times as much money.

I share that opinion.

It's a recent phenomenon due to Asians, same thing has happened with British lenses from Dallmeyer, TT&H, Ross etc.

I think westerners had a good deal to do with the prices for Primoplans and Triotars lately too. I'm actually kind of glad most Japanese lenses have been left alone. Laughing

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for posting your experience so far with this Travelon lens.
I only have one A.Schacht lens - the Edixa-Travenar-A 2.8/50
If your lens is meant to be a superior optic to the Travenar-A, then it has enormous potential to be truly wonderful.
Here is one image from mine which I consider to be very good indeed.
OH

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mos6502 wrote:
It is a bit funny though that Edixa SLRs are commonly derided but were generally sold with what are now some of the most desirable or hardest to find lenses out there.

They were the first West German SLR's with a focal plane shutter.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The lens is at the shop and should be ready by the weekend. I've got a roll in an Edixa waiting for its return. Smile

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I went to pick up the lens on monday when it was supposed to be ready - and the shop was closed early. Sad
I called and left a message saying I would be back the next day. Showed up and the shop was closed early. Sad
Called again, and left a message again saying I would be there at a specific time (well before the shop closes) - I arrive and guess what? The shop is closed and the business next door tells me the guy left early again. Rolling Eyes
This time I did not leave a message but taped a note to the door saying that I would be there again - tomorrow - at the same time to pick up the lens.

Let's see how they mess this up this time.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Travegon 35mm f/2.8 is a fantastic lens, I use it alot for group pictures because of it`s great corner sharpness! Very Happy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mos6502 wrote:

Let's see how they mess this up this time.

Holy moses, what is happening?!? Surprised Surprised

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I decided to go in much earlier during my lunch break, and I picked up the lens. Aperture works now, not sure it is any cleaner but I guess I'll find out. The shop owner was apologetic and I have no hard feelings, but I'll probably go elsewhere next time.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="kds315*"]Well, I hope it does not mean "travel on" ....................................

It would be interesting to hear whether the "Trave" bit, - which also is the name of the river with its mouth at Lûbeck, has any connection with the factory or its designers. I vaguely recall that they were based quite some distance away from there.

p.