Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Scanning pictures: HP Scanjet 2400
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 8:02 am    Post subject: Scanning pictures: HP Scanjet 2400 Reply with quote

Hi colleagues,

Having went back to film, I need to scan the pictures (to store digitally and to be able to show them to you Wink ).

So I took the dust out of my cheap flatbed scanner and started scanning some of the Konica C35 pictures I took to test the camera.

The default setting for the scanner are to scan pictures at 200 dpi. That seemed to me not too high, so I tried to push the scanner to its limits and set 4800 dpi.

The resulting file was a 1,5 Gb file... Not manageable.

So my question is, which is the appropriate resolution to scan 11x13cm pictures?.

Thanks in advance.
Jes.

200 dpi samples:

(Notice the reddish flame caused by the defective seal.)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: Scanning pictures: HP Scanjet 2400 Reply with quote

Jesito wrote:

So my question is, which is the appropriate resolution to scan 11x13cm pictures?.

For printing a 10x15 cm photograph, a 300 PPI scan or perhaps even a 240 should be enough.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: Scanning pictures: HP Scanjet 2400 Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
Jesito wrote:

For printing a 10x15 cm photograph, a 300 PPI scan or perhaps even a 240 should be enough.

Thanks, Orio!
I'll try it...
Best regards,
Jes.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course I am speaking of scanning an original of the same size.

I realized now you perhaps talk about scanning a negative or slide.

In that case, you will need a higher resolution. Usually scanners come with a managing program that lets you set the final output as pixels, inches and centimetres, so you should be able to set it to centimetres and set the precise value you need.