Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Scan film
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 6:17 pm    Post subject: Scan film Reply with quote

Hi there,
if I am understanding this right after you develop your films then you scan those so you can have them at your computer.

1. Is there a difference between scanning color and black and white films? Who does this inverting of the colors?

2. What would be a very affordable film scanner that would take very small space at my desk? I looked on ebay and there are models in the 50 euros range, like that: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ion-Audio-Film-2-SD-Plus-Slide-and-Negative-Scanner-/221426878078?pt=US_Scanners&hash=item338e12067e
but I am not sure about their quality.

Regards
Alex

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Scan film Reply with quote

alaios wrote:
Hi there,
if I am understanding this right after you develop your films then you scan those so you can have them at your computer.

1. Is there a difference between scanning color and black and white films? Who does this inverting of the colors?

2. What would be a very affordable film scanner that would take very small space at my desk? I looked on ebay and there are models in the 50 euros range, like that: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ion-Audio-Film-2-SD-Plus-Slide-and-Negative-Scanner-/221426878078?pt=US_Scanners&hash=item338e12067e
but I am not sure about their quality.

Regards
Alex

Well Alex is nice to know someone that is so enthusiastic using film......but you might be running before you can walk, for a while is there a supermarket or cheap lab where you live that can develop and scan your films Question You can use colour film and change to B\W on your computer using Photoshop or similar, then you can decide if your prefer to go the colour route or B\W e.g.

Ensinor 80-200

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 6:36 am    Post subject: Re: Scan film Reply with quote

alaios wrote:
1. Is there a difference between scanning color and black and white films? Who does this inverting of the colors

usually it is the scanner software (if you mean color print film)
manually doing this the problem is the orange background of color film

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The cheap scanner is the most basic method of scanning films. I bought one. It gives great colours from a colour neg scan in a way I find difficult to master manually. But the quality is not much better than a shop CD. It is basically a 5mp didital camera .

I use a flatbed scanner with neg capabilities. Mine is an Epson 3490, and gived great scans. I also photograph the negs and reverse them in Photoshop but its hard to get the colours to look good consistently.

Get a £200 flat bed or pay half a grand for a dedicated neg scanner for the best quality

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Alex has a digital camera and he might like to use this instead of a scanner, and there are some threads about how to do this....providing he has the right camera.

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

" Get a £200 flat bed or pay half a grand for a dedicated neg scanner for the best quality"

give me an ebay link on the dedicated negative scanner. Are the models I gave dedicated negative scanners?

Regards
Alex

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alaios wrote:
give me an ebay link on the dedicated negative scanner. Are the models I gave dedicated negative scanners?

yes but a cheap one

here is older Plustek
Click here to see on Ebay

cheaper but uk only

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alaios wrote:
" Get a £200 flat bed or pay half a grand for a dedicated neg scanner for the best quality"

Regards
Alex

here are a couple, 1 new and 2 used. This is a proper scanner and will scan the neg at thousands of DPI, the cheap ones just photograph the neg.

be careful of used ones, the connectors may be of the old type and there may not be drivers for up to date operating systems.

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow...all these are just of my range Sad Sad
how "cheap" is my cheap option???

Alex

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alaios wrote:
wow...all these are just of my range Sad Sad
how "cheap" is my cheap option???

Alex

This is a 1973 slide scanned on one of those cheap scanners. plus a 100% size crop

You pays your money and you takes your choice.

I copy with a camera and enlarger lens. Basically hold the neg perfectly flat in front of the camera and shoot. Good luck getting the colours right but B&W is a walk in the park. Just reverse it in your favourite editing program.

I'm going to do a comparison: Scanned CD, flatbed scan, cheapo scanner, camera scan. watch out.

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
thanks. I hope you can prove that are effective ways to do the scans.. otherwise developing films at home is out of the discussion Sad

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
looking again on the scanned image I guess I would need to go even larger on size. Printing 10*15cm would be the norm and perhaps double the size if something is special.
Which is your model?

Alex

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are only printing up to 5x7 inches the scans done on the cheap scanner are fine. The pic of the plane looks ok on screen but the lack of detail only shows when considerably enlarged. Pixel peeping.

My neg scanner cost £15 from Maplins, reduced from £60, I'd have taken it back if I'd bought it at full price. But its good for digitising the old slides and I've boxes and boxes of them.

This is a link to a post I made about 'scanning' my negs via digital camera. The neg holder is the one I got with my cheap scanner.

http://forum.mflenses.com/scanning-negs-via-camera-t61765,highlight,%2Bscanning+%2Bcamera.html

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the answer.
I will go one more round on ebay and I will let you know what I found.

Alex

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, please
1. have a look on some of my finding here:

looks very cheap though:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/USB2-0-2-4-TFT-LCD-Panel-Film-Scanner-Black-US-AU-to-EU-Plug-Adapter-DZ88-/400665613385?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var=&hash=item5d49881449

not sure which os supports
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vupoint-FS-C1-VP-BX2-USB-2-0-Negative-Film-Slide-Digital-Scanner-Converter-/151124597430?pt=US_Scanners&hash=item232fba5ab6

windows xp only
http://www.ebay.com/itm/VuPoint-FS-C1-VP-Slide-Film-Scanner-/231205802904?pt=US_Scanners&hash=item35d4f09398

hm... I wish also they could scan the slides automatically Razz and you do not need to do it manually Razz

to be honest all the scanners I find are cheapy cheapy and I am afraid they will get on fire easily

2. can you upload the scanned image at 100%. Perhaps one - two more samples can make easier my decision.

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Avoid these "mickey mouse" scanners......if you can't afford a proper dedicated film scanner then any Epson flatbed scanner will do a reasonable job of scanning if using now and again, as the later and more expensive will do more negs\pos in one go.
My first scanner was a Epson 2480 bought for £8 and posted two shots (on Apug about 5 years ago) taken on Kodachrome on about 1968.....I'm not saying get the 2480 but it's just an example how something so cheap and old can give reasonable results.

http://www.apug.org/forums/forum40/61417-first-roll-kodachrome-4.html

http://www.apug.org/forums/forum40/59961-first-kodachrome-ive-shot-25-years-3.html #23

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alaios wrote:
Hi, please
1. have a look on some of my finding here:

looks very cheap though:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/USB2-0-2-4-TFT-LCD-Panel-Film-Scanner-Black-US-AU-to-EU-Plug-Adapter-DZ88-/400665613385?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var=&hash=item5d49881449

not sure which os supports
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vupoint-FS-C1-VP-BX2-USB-2-0-Negative-Film-Slide-Digital-Scanner-Converter-/151124597430?pt=US_Scanners&hash=item232fba5ab6

windows xp only
http://www.ebay.com/itm/VuPoint-FS-C1-VP-Slide-Film-Scanner-/231205802904?pt=US_Scanners&hash=item35d4f09398

hm... I wish also they could scan the slides automatically Razz and you do not need to do it manually Razz

to be honest all the scanners I find are cheapy cheapy and I am afraid they will get on fire easily

2. can you upload the scanned image at 100%. Perhaps one - two more samples can make easier my decision.

They are all exactly the same, built like this: A backlight with your film or slide in front and a prefocused 5mp camera taking a photo of the media. They will contain firmware that converts negatives to positives and will save them as .jpg's. There is no or little difference between all makes. I suspect they all use the same internals. It would seem that the one with the screen would save directly onto an SD card rather than the computer.

This type is what I scanned my plane picture with.

I don't think that any scanner unless you pay thousands will scan automatically. No sorry but you must scan each frame individually. It doesn't take too long with a cheap scanner such as this - 10 to 15 seconds or so, about 1/30th with a camera and maybe 30 seconds with a flatbed. Considerably longer with a proper neg scanner.

My crop is actually 100%

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

philslizzy wrote:

I don't think that any scanner unless you pay thousands will scan automatically. No sorry but you must scan each frame individually.

A slight addition to your answer:- I've also have a Epson 4180 and V750, haven't used the 4180 for ages IIRC does a strip of 5 negs and the V750 can do about 20...all in one go. Well you do your scan (sorta automation as you are not doing just one), then any decent shots you can rescan them individually. Well I use Asda (supermarket) for my scans (because scanning is boring) and any winners would redo them on the V750 or maybe scanned to high resolution by a lab if I ever needed a large print.

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
if I really have to avoid the mickey mouse scanners then I will go around the neighborhood to see how much market charges for scanning negatives.
I also have a HP c309g scanner printer. Would it be possible to use that one somehow?

Regards
alex

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your scanner is the normal flatbed and will only scan reflective documents. Flatbed scanners for negs have a light built into the lid.

I use a Epson 3490, old but good. Here is one on ebay for a tenner Click here to see on Ebay. Epson do drivers for Win 7 and 8

go for it!!!!!!

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sold out ...and I have a very small desk and this scanner does not fit at all. One more point for the mickey mouse scanners.

Alex