Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Sankyo Koki Komura 200mm f/3.5
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 5:13 pm    Post subject: Sankyo Koki Komura 200mm f/3.5 Reply with quote

There are a few Komura fans here in addition to myself, however this particular lens seems to have received very little attention. Perhaps I'll find out why. Luis posted about the f/4 version back in 2008 and there was one f/3.5 post by Kathmandu in 2010 that I could find, not much more. I succumbed to temptation and purchased this one cheap, then had it serviced by Marc Jensen
( http://forum.mflenses.com/lens-repair-ebay-user-100-feedback-t61112.html ) and it's still a cheap buy. It is not likely to displace my Series 1 as my favorite at 200mm, but it does have the Komura many-bladed diaphragm. I expect the sharpness to be more than satisfactory with excellent color and bokeh if it is to perform like other Komura lenses. I will update this post with images after receiving it back and giving it a good shoot.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks nice and solid.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mo wrote:
It looks nice and solid.

So far, so good.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A post by Ian elsewhere reminded me to update this one. After receiving the lens and trying it on my NEX-5N, I quickly discovered that the Exakta mount did not even come close to fitting my adapter. It was loose and the pin that gets clipped into place stops well short of the correct position. After consulting with Luis, I decided to purchase another lens that had a Minolta mount. The second lens had a bad element, so I took off the mount, but I could not remove the Exakta mount from my first lens. I gave it to my muscular son, but he too failed to turn it. Then I just swapped the sections to put the good elements with the focusing section of the second lens. Success. The Minolta mount fits my adapter just fine.

The lens is bigger and heavier than my other 200mm lenses, but this one is a preset with a round iris. Focusing ring can get stiff with these lenses. I oiled it and now it works fairly well. I find focusing challenging even with the NEX focus aids. But when I hit it right, the lens can be very acceptably sharp. Colors and bokeh are exceptional by my tastes. I believe I have posted some images in the Digital Images Gallery, but I will post here too for continuity.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I rarely use a long lens at infinity, I do take test pictures with every lens so that I can assess both infinity performance and whether or not I can reach infinity on an adapter. This one goes past infinity, just how I like it. This lens strikes me as being surprisingly good at infinity. I always use the house across the street as a subject for my infinity tests. It provides a consistent subject for comparison. These three images were taken at f/3.5, f/5.6, and f/8. Aside from a little blue fringing at wide open, there is surprisingly little difference in sharpness.

The images have been loaded to the MFL site, so there are full size versions behind them.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is mine, cost me 4.95ukp plus postage, it's in mint condition, first one of these I've seen for sale, all of these later Komuranons are very rare here in England.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a later lens; much different from mine.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woodrim, your images of the birds are beautiful. What kind are they? Do they live in the wild or were they shot at a zoo? Smile
Great bokeh, I agree!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very interesting.
I have the old preset 3.5 (I have a post about it) AND the much less common 4.5 versions, two of them, one M42 and the other the oddball rangefinder coupled Leica mount.
None of them are as rare as that late auto version. I would very much like to have that one!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

luisalegria wrote:
Very interesting.
I have the old preset 3.5 (I have a post about it) AND the much less common 4.5 versions, two of them, one M42 and the other the oddball rangefinder coupled Leica mount.
None of them are as rare as that late auto version. I would very much like to have that one!

I will play with it and if I decide it's not to my tastes, you can have it for what it cost me - 4.95ukp + 2.80ukp postage.

I have the Konica Hexanon AR EE 3.5/200 and the Topcon RE Auto Topcor 5.6/200, both superb, and I rarely shoot long lenses so unless the Komura offers something those don't, there's a strong chance you can have it. Smile

BTW, it's in OM mount, I'm awaiting an OM-NEX adapter to arrive from China in order to be able to try it out.

Last edited by iangreenhalgh1 on Sat Aug 09, 2014 7:48 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

!Karen wrote:
Woodrim, your images of the birds are beautiful. What kind are they? Do they live in the wild or were they shot at a zoo? Smile
Great bokeh, I agree!

Thank you, Karen. I live along the eastern coast, near Charleston, South Carolina. Since this is the south, we have many interesting creatures. I grew up in the north, in New Jersey, so didn't see the variety of wildlife that I encounter now, and since these birds are still exotic to me, I over do it with pictures. Truthfully, I need to find other places to go, but this creek is very nearby and easy to access. Besides, the birds know me and pose for my photos Rolling Eyes

The birds seen here are mostly brown pelicans. There is also an egret, the white one. Plenty of seagulls too and assorted others like herons (several types), osprey, hawks, anhingas, and several other interesting ones among those I've photographed. There is also a Chuck-Wills-Widow that keeps me up at night, but I haven't seen him yet. Then there are dolphins, manatees and strange people. I love it here.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gorgeous shots Woodrim and all those blades produce some really nice bokeh. Your copy looks to be in very good shape.. I have a couple of lenses I suspect might be Komura made, but the only branded item I have is the tele-more 95 II teleconvertor.

Is there a thread listing Komura manufactured lenses under different brands?

Thanks again for sharing your shots. The only issue I have is that, like Luis, you could make any vintage Japanese lens look like a top of the line Zeiss or Leica Wink.

Ken

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, Ken, for that kind exaggeration. I do not know of a topic exploring re-branded Komuras.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are very few Komuras under other brands that I know of.
The most common one by far seems to be the very early 135/2.8 from the 1950s often found as a Soligor, Juplen, Peerotar, etc.
But in later days Komura, which seems to have been a rather eccentric outfit, generally tried to build their own brand.
Maybe some of the later 1970s stuff like Ian's 200mm, or more likely the zooms in that line, but who knows.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's very generous of you Ian!
I hope it works out for you though.
200mm and 300mm are my casual snapshot FLs.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think they mostly made lenses for the major manufacturers rather than for rebranders. Wouldn't surprise me if a few Canon FD and Nikkor AI/AI-S lenses were made by Komura. Today, Tokina make a lot of lenses for the major manufacturers, but there are secrecy agreements so we don't know who makes what.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodrim wrote:
!Karen wrote:
Great bokeh, I agree!

Thank you, Karen. I live along the eastern coast, near Charleston, South Carolina. Since this is the south, we have many interesting creatures. I grew up in the north, in New Jersey, so didn't see the variety of wildlife that I encounter now, and since these birds are still exotic to me, I over do it with pictures. Truthfully, I need to find other places to go, but this creek is very nearby and easy to access. Besides, the birds know me and pose for my photos Rolling Eyes

The birds seen here are mostly brown pelicans. There is also an egret, the white one. Plenty of seagulls too and assorted others like herons (several types), osprey, hawks, anhingas, and several other interesting ones among those I've photographed. There is also a Chuck-Wills-Widow that keeps me up at night, but I haven't seen him yet. Then there are dolphins, manatees and strange people. I love it here.

Shocked

Quite jealous Wink

I love photographing animals myself but unfortunately the most exotic animal here in antwerp, to be found outside a zoo, is a cat.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

!Karen wrote:

I love photographing animals myself but unfortunately the most exotic animal here in antwerp, to be found outside a zoo, is a cat.

Yes, but you have beautiful old architecture, right?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, excellent bird shots! I really like the 3rd picture!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, Mark.

Ian: I suspect your version has only six (maybe eight) blades t the diaphragm. Looks smaller too. Not likely the same lens and likely different results. My guess is that you won't like it. Just a guess.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll count the blades. It is a bit smaller I think, certainly shorter.

I rarely use anything longer than 100mm, even my large collection of top notch 135mms is rarely used, so the odds are against me falling in love with a 200mm lens.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like it, but have not fallen in love with it. I'm still learning about it. I think I just discovered that its sweet spot is not so much aperture centric, but distance.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's interesting, for me, I would use a long lens at distance far more than for anything quite close.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Egret shot is superb, everything about it is good. Cool

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The main reason to use long lenses, IMHO, is for standoff distance on discrete subjects. In particular for closeups. Why take a picture of a bird (a sensitive, artistic portrait for sure, full of meaning about the noble creatures character, with a 100mm) if you can take a more interesting picture of its tonsils ?

That, or I am just narrow minded.