Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Sankor 35mm 2.8 bokeh
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 8:10 pm    Post subject: Sankor 35mm 2.8 bokeh Reply with quote

I dug out my old Sankor 35mm 2.8 preset lens with Minolta mount today. It has a close focus distance of 1m so I used the shortest Minolta macro tube to get closer.

For a long time I was disappointed with this lens but now I like it when used like this.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice, good rendering too

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 4:17 am    Post subject: Re: Sankor 35mm 2.8 bokeh Reply with quote

blotafton wrote:
I dug out my old Sankor 35mm 2.8 preset lens with Minolta mount today. It has a close focus distance of 1m so I used the shortest Minolta macro tube to get closer.

For a long time I was disappointed with this lens but now I like it when used like this.

I think the bokeh looks nice under this situation.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks interesting! An sharp wide open. This is not the case of Auto Sankor 2.8/35 I have. Wide open it clearly shifts light beams from the focal plane, but improves to very sharp at f5.6. I did not think to study its bokeh. Now I am curious, maybe its strength WO is the same you show.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alex ph wrote:
Looks interesting! An sharp wide open. This is not the case of Auto Sankor 2.8/35 I have. Wide open it clearly shifts light beams from the focal plane, but improves to very sharp at f5.6. I did not think to study its bokeh. Now I am curious, maybe its strength WO is the same you show.

This one is quite bad also, probably my worst 35mm for general use.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I walked out my Auto Sankor and, after looking at your examples once again, thought the lens must have the same optics.

If you dont' mind I add here several unprocessed samples taken with Sony Nex. As long as I was not in a quiet flower corner, I took for shooting an urban stage.

#3 Still found some flowers

#4 The same scene at f5.6

What makes part of the lens' quirks, I have it with an original cap which is... screwed in the filter thread. So, to take a shot you need to spend a couple of seconds more every time just to take the cap off the lens. This lens was really created for some special purpose! But the dreamy undercorrected character of the lens at f2.8-f4 gives a reference to a f1.2 lens wide open. An authentic curiosity.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alex ph wrote:
I walked out my Auto Sankor and, after looking at your examples once again, thought the lens must have the same optics.

If you dont' mind I add here several unprocessed samples taken with Sony Nex. As long as I was not in a quiet flower corner, I took for shooting an urban stage.

What makes part of the lens' quirks, I have it with an original cap which is... screwed in the filter thread. So, to take a shot you need to spend a couple of seconds more every time just to take the cap off the lens. This lens was really created for some special purpose! But the dreamy undercorrected character of the lens at f2.8-f4 gives a reference to a f1.2 lens wide open. An authentic curiosity.

I agree it looks like the same optics. My shots looked similar to yours but I added an S curve to boost contrast.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2022 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a preset version for sale on Ebay for very little (Long cfd) Like blofafton's. If anybody is interested.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/294651588239

I was looking at it but decided on the Auto-version because of the closer MFD

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2022 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the Auto version and really like it for it's vintage character, it's also pretty sharp and has that nice 3D pop in the right circumstances.

Sankor lenses are generally good, not great and have lovely character. The 2.5/100 (or is it 105, I forget) is another favourite.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2022 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's the 105 / 2.5 Ian, it's a stunner. But can we judge all the other Sankor lenses on the reputation of the 105? I might chance 15 quid to try that 35.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2022 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had maybe a dozen Sankors and that 105 is a stand out. The 200, I forget if a 3.8 or 3.9 was good, as was a 3.5/200, I'd rate them about the same level as the Pentacon 4/200. The 2.8 and 3.5 135s were about the same.

I think the Sankor 35 is also a standout as it has wonderful character, for my money it ranks alongside the Canon FL 2.5/35 and Meyer Primagon 4.5/35 for characterful vintage 35s that are also sharp and overall, produce very good image quality most of the time.

Here's a HDR shot with my Sony a850 and the Auto Sankor 2.8/35, I think this shows the painterly character quite well:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2022 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some shots with mine

CFD 25cm is a bit too close sharpness wise but good bokeh
Daisykeh by The lens profile, on Flickr

Flare it does too
Flary polekeh by The lens profile, on Flickr

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2022 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sharp center wide open but quickly falling off

Smooth close up bokeh (the second auto-aperture version focusses to 25cm)
Wallkeh by The lens profile, on Flickr

Bokeh with a closer busy background is still pretty smooth.
Nonkel Pater Qua-Dubbel by The lens profile, on Flickr

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2022 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice shots, it seems the auto version is the one to get for us bokeh addicts!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2022 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blotafton wrote:
Nice shots, it seems the auto version is the one to get for us bokeh addicts!

Thanks, it's certainly more practical. Very long focus throw, about 320 degrees. My copy could do with a relube, there's no fast focussing action with it, too stiff, but not so much I turn the lens out of the adapter.