Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Samyang 85mm T1.5 AS IF UMD (vs FD 85mm f/1.2 L)
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 7:54 am    Post subject: Samyang 85mm T1.5 AS IF UMD (vs FD 85mm f/1.2 L) Reply with quote

I've received the cine version of Samyang 85mm f/1.4. Well, even though I already owned the FD 85mm f/1.2 L, I still need Samyang for my Canon (Ed Mika temporarily doesn't provide the FD-EF adapter for this lens) and actually I'm gathering lenses for recording later.

I was asked few times by my friends to compare the Samyang and the FD, since they're both excellent and have their own advantages, but the FD is really expensive to reach and the cheap price of Samyang is very tempting. Actually the total budget I spent for both is still less than one good copy of the FD ($500 for the FD with some cosmetic wears and few scratch on the front element, $340 for the Samyang, new condition).

Here are the lenses, on the FD-NEX and Canon-NEX adapters (the Samyang has Nikon mount, I already connected to F-EF adapter)

The Samyang is a bit smaller and the build is also solid. Even though it's plastic, the feel is not much difference from the metal FD. However, for both these lenses, the hoods are really bad. They're very loose and not really easy to put on the lenses sometimes. In my case, the hood of Samyang is a bit tighter than FD and seems like they made it better than in some reviews I've read. Since this is the cine lens, the aperture and focus ring of Samyang is very smooth, but this one is a bit stiffer than the 14mm and 35mm. The focus ring of the FD is very smooth, too, so actually there is not much different to me.

Samyang has the minimum focus distance of 1.1m, while it's 0.9m with FD (and I actually made if focus to just 0.7mm and sacrificed the focus farther than 100m, which is a big advantage for taking portrait).

Samyang uses IF design, so it doesn't change the length of the lens while focusing, but FD does. However, it's the same to me.

The biggest question is how the Samyang performs wide open, compared to FD, so I did this test first. I compared only the center of the photos at F1.2, F1.4 (FD) and F1.4 (Samyang)

Samyang @F1.4:

FD @F1.4:

FD @F1.2:

100% crop:

FD is sharper, Samyang is pretty close, too. However, FD image looks a bit soft because of CA (very easy to fix in Lightroom or Photoshop), and it's glowing edge in the case of Samyang (much more difficult to make it looks sharper). Even at f/1.2 FD is still better than Samyang. However, these difference is not significant in real life photos, it's only shown at high magnification. The difference between F1.4 and F1.2 is also very negligible, so the Samyang (with 1/3 the FD price) is really worth the money. I will do other tests later, but I think this is the most important one for who didn't decide yet which one to go after.

I didn't test carefully but the FD has very low breathing and it aperture can be controlled by the Lock - Open mechanism of the FD adapter, which is also smooth and suitable for video, so in term of applicability, FD 85/1.2 L also can be used for cinematography, even though it's not as good as the Samyang cine lens.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amazing how sharp the FD is from wide open Surprised

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nordentro wrote:

I was amazed when I got it right, too. It was soft but that's because I used a wrong distance to sensor. The CA is not a big problem with portraits, it almost doesn't appear at all. I really love this beast.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Langstrum wrote:
Nordentro wrote:

I was amazed when I got it right, too. It was soft but that's because I used a wrong distance to sensor. The CA is not a big problem with portraits, it almost doesn't appear at all. I really love this beast.

This FD 1.2/85mm lens is really amazing.
I bought a faulty copy and then got it repaired and converted to EF (thkx Trifox). Using it with 5D2 is pure joy!

I really recommend this FD lens for Canon full-frame, and also a few others that could be easily converted (w/ Edmika kits).
So far I can use on 5D2 these FDs (2/24mm, 1.2/85mm L, 2/100mm, 2/135mm and 4/80-200 L) and all them are outstanding!
Really worth the cost:)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vlousada wrote:
Langstrum wrote:
Nordentro wrote:

This FD 1.2/85mm lens is really amazing.
I bought a faulty copy and then got it repaired and converted to EF (thkx Trifox). Using it with 5D2 is pure joy!

I really recommend this FD lens for Canon full-frame, and also a few others that could be easily converted (w/ Edmika kits).
So far I can use on 5D2 these FDs (2/24mm, 1.2/85mm L, 2/100mm, 2/135mm and 4/80-200 L) and all them are outstanding!
Really worth the cost:)

I can confirm the 85 and 80-200 are among the best lenses ever made. In fact I have only one zoom lens now, and it's the 80-200. 135/2 is in my list, I will definitely go for it. But I have a question, Ed mentions the FD 85 will reach the mirror of 5D at 50 feet. I didn't really pay attention to that, so I don't know how much the height of the frame compared to the height of the model at that limit. I need to estimate how to use this lens properly on my 6D. Unfortunately, Ed doesn't have the adapter for a while.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Langstrum wrote:
. But I have a question, Ed mentions the FD 85 will reach the mirror of 5D at 50 feet. I didn't really pay attention to that, so I don't know how much the height of the frame compared to the height of the model at that limit. I need to estimate how to use this lens properly on my 6D. Unfortunately, Ed doesn't have the adapter for a while.

I will run a test tonight to get the idea of "height of frame" on a portrait at the distance of 1,5meters...

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vlousada wrote:
Langstrum wrote:
. But I have a question, Ed mentions the FD 85 will reach the mirror of 5D at 50 feet. I didn't really pay attention to that, so I don't know how much the height of the frame compared to the height of the model at that limit. I need to estimate how to use this lens properly on my 6D. Unfortunately, Ed doesn't have the adapter for a while.

I will run a test tonight to get the idea of "height of frame" on a portrait at the distance of 1,5meters...

That's 15 meters, actually...

If it can focus to the point of this photo, then it's fine to me

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for much for the test! Smile
Indeed it is insane how sharp the DF is at 1.2. The Samyang performs pretty great too when you consider the price so its a matter of deciding what you can afford and how much that extra detail means to you. Smile

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shaolin95 wrote:
Indeed it is insane how sharp the DF is at 1.2. The Samyang performs pretty great too when you consider the price so its a matter of deciding what you can afford and how much that extra detail means to you. Smile

It's my opinion, too. That's why I've ordered a Samyang and have just received it yesterday from Korea Smile .
The bokeh of Samyang looks a little smoother in this test, even compared with the DF at 1.2.
It will be interesting to see some bokeh comparative tests, too.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shaolin95 wrote:
[quote=Thanks for much for the test! Smile

You're welcome, I hope you will find a good one suitable to you Very Happy

dan_ wrote:
shaolin95 wrote:

It's my opinion, too. That's why I've ordered a Samyang and have just received it yesterday from Korea Smile .
The bokeh of Samyang looks a little smoother in this test, even compared with the DF at 1.2.
It will be interesting to see some bokeh comparative tests, too.

It also looks more smooth to me. And definitely, I will do the test. Since I have a chance to get most of the lenses in Samyang set, I will try to make good evaluations for others to choose the lens.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BOKEH TEST

As suggested by Dan, I did another test regarding the bokeh generated by these two lenses:

First test: close background. I use an aluminium foil to make a sparkling background behind the object

Samyang @T1.5

FD @F1.4

FD @F1.2

With this setup, it looks like the Samyang creates more smooth bokeh (just a little bit more), even comparing with F/1.2

Second setup: farther background

Samyang @T1.5

FD @F1.4

In this case, the opposite is true, FD image looks more smooth Shocked

I don't really know if the distance really affects the bokeh or not, but it's clearly changed here. And I notice that the average contrast of the FD is slightly lower than Samyang, maybe because it's already old, with some scratches and dusts inside.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought the Bokeh on the Samyang was smoother but now I am not so sure! Smile

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shaolin95 wrote:
I thought the Bokeh on the Samyang was smoother but now I am not so sure! Smile

I'm confused, too, it depends on the shooting conditions also.

Come back to my boring test, I want to see how much the images are washed out by shooting against light source, and I want to see the sharpness of these lenses by stopping down to F5.6

1. SHOOTING AGAINST LIGHT SOURCE

FD 85mm L at f/1.4

Samyang 85mm at T1.5

100% crop

So, FD really needs the hood when shooting under the sunlight, it obviously reduced the contrast of the image. +1 point for Samyang, the image is still crisp and has better contrast than the FD. CA levels in theses photos are almost the same.

2. SHARPNESS AT F5.6

FD 85mm L

Samyang 85mm

100% crop:

So, at this f-stop, the two lenses are almost the same in term of sharpness. However, Samyang still shows a better contrast. It's noticeably that Samyang photos are warmer than that of FD, maybe due to the UMC coating. At this T5.6, Samyang is not really f5.6, but still, it looks darker than FD photo.

Samyang now is pretty close, even better than FD Very Happy

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed this last test makes me favor the Samyan too! Very Happy Wit the price of used FD 85mm on ebay vs the Samyang I can but the Samyan and sell my NEX-6 to get the A7 vs just buying the FD 85mm instead Very Happy

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shaolin95 wrote:
Indeed this last test makes me favor the Samyan too! Very Happy Wit the price of used FD 85mm on ebay vs the Samyang I can but the Samyan and sell my NEX-6 to get the A7 vs just buying the FD 85mm instead Very Happy

From the actual use, I prefer the focus ring of the FD (smoother) and the closer focus. The 1.1m minimum focus distance of the Samyang is quite far to me, it's inconvenient to shoot flowers and small details. Otherwise they're almost the same. You can check the photos I took from the MF gallery, at T4-5.6 it's very sharp, I can't ask more for that, but at T1.4 it's also very usable Very Happy
I think your decision is very reasonable, I would do the same, too. Now I really want to use these lenses on A7/A7R Sad

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shaolin95 wrote:

Or you can get the Samyang, a focal reducer and an Acrhomat close-up lens for it and save some money. By using them together, you'll have an additional 60mm f/1 lovely portrait lens for your NEX-6. And, when needed, it will focus closer enough for close up work with the Achromat in front of it.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A 72mm close-up lens might be possible to come by cheaply, but an anchromat? Not as likely, I'd think. But, I could be wrong...

dan_ wrote:
shaolin95 wrote:

Or you can get the Samyang, a focal reducer and an Acrhomat close-up lens for it and save some money. By using them together, you'll have an additional 60mm f/1 lovely portrait lens for your NEX-6. And, when needed, it will focus closer enough for close up work with the Achromat in front of it.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dan_ wrote:
shaolin95 wrote:

I actullay have a Lens Turbo 2 which I use for Canon FD lenses but I want to move to an A7 instead an that will also give me more even more options when shopping for legacy lenses since regular adapters are super cheap compared to the speed boosters. Still, at one point when I am financially better, my dream is to have most of the Canon FD L lenses...it may sound odd or weird, but is something I really want and you only live once Very Happy