Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Samyang 85mm f1.4 Aspherical IF (Some samples)
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking at the photos from this lens, it looks very sharp wide open. I usually like smooth bokeh, but the bokeh from this lens almost looks a little fake or artificial. What does everyone else think of the bokeh? In any case a new one of these is about half the price of a used Contax Planar 85/1.4, which makes it rather tempting.

--Geoff

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gcrimmins wrote:
Looking at the photos from this lens, it looks very sharp wide open. I usually like smooth bokeh, but the bokeh from this lens almost looks a little fake or artificial. What does everyone else think of the bokeh? In any case a new one of these is about half the price of a used Contax Planar 85/1.4, which makes it rather tempting.

--Geoff

I see no problem with bokeh, nice lens.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the bokeh is very nice and very smooth. But I feel, that these results are near the critical line - Sony/Minolta SFT 135mm is beyond and its results look unnatural to me. But this 85/1.4 is fine yet.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought Falcon 85 1.4 Wink I`m waiting for shipment

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

karabud wrote:

Congrats! I look forward your samples in Digital Gallery.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

karabud wrote:
Waiting for some sample photos

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello @all,

if anyone is interested in some HIGH RES samples of the Samyang/Rokinon/etc..

here a link to one of my sample albums. All pics taken on a EOS 5D FF.
You can find a test pics of a wall for seeing the sharpness, vignetting etc..
Bokeh samples, nearfield behavior, color reendering etc..
The picture title mostly gives the used parameters

http://dunkelnetz.de/?level=album&id=41

regards
hinnerker

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally of today I can enjoy my Falcon 85mm 1.4. Tomorrow I start to shoot some photos. First impression - solid build, smooth focusing;)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

karabud wrote:
Finally of today I can enjoy my Falcon 85mm 1.4. Tomorrow I start to shoot some photos. First impression - solid build, smooth focusing;)

Hey congrats! Look forward your shoots in Gallery.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:

Hey congrats! Look forward your shoots in Gallery.

Thx Wink I have a lot of work to do but soon I will try to upload some shots Wink

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

found another good comparison of this lens and nikkor 1.4

http://www.jsvfoto.com/Home/faqs/nikkor85mmf14aisvspolar85mmf14/nikkorpolarreview

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two quick questions on this lens:

1) Anyone using this on a 1.5 or 1.6 FOV crop cam? I realize that it will have the FOV of a 135mm on FF.

2) Using the Canon EOS system, what is the easiest way of getting the AF Confirm lights working with this lens? I have seen references to both using a Nikon-eos adapter with a Nikon mount lens, or shaving the lens mount and adding an AF Confirm chip. Which is more reliable, and which is the simplest way?

I definitely want one of these once I pick up a 40d (would love a 5D but not really in the cards right now)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

myshutters wrote:
found another good comparison of this lens and nikkor 1.4

http://www.jsvfoto.com/Home/faqs/nikkor85mmf14aisvspolar85mmf14/nikkorpolarreview

I read that. He referred many times to the Nikkor "blowing highlights." Isn't this all about exposure? I've never heard of a lens that "blows highlights."

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, here are some samples directly with the Samyang

All images taken on a 5D FF, f/1.4

I like this lens much for portraits.

Its in EOS Mount and i did glue a confirmation chip directly on the lens mount.

There is already a Samyang Thread... so i posted there how you can manage that.

http://forum.mflenses.com/samyang-85mm-focusing-question-t19774.html

Cheers
Henry

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

#1 and #3 I can't imagine better ones , both are superb especially #1 one.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
#1 and #3 I can't imagine better ones , both are superb especially #1 one.

Thanks,

# 2 was taken to see the color fringes round the white hair in the sun.

Cheers
Henry

Last edited by hinnerker on Fri Sep 18, 2009 12:27 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent portrait Henry (and a wonderful model, too)!!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hinnerker - excellent shot!

Second impression - focusing is very easy and smooth with this lens, this samyang/falcon is incredible sharp at f/1.4 and have a lot of contrast. Bokeh is wonderful. It has some CA but less than N85 1.8 AF.
N85 1.8 AF is less sharp and have less contrast. I think falcon is sharper at f/1.4 than nikkor at f/2.2
At infinity this lens is superb, nikkor was only acceptable.
I love this lens a lot!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me it is a lens for portraits but I had to test on something:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hinnerker wrote:

Cheers
Henry

Hi Henry.

I saw very nice pics, really.

I havent doubts that you do as excelent portraits as them with any lens. Your model and your eye mind can do excelent pics with any portrait lens.

I imagine them taken with a summilux R or planar 1,4 (or other excelent 80-85 mm) at F/ 4 to 8 and see in my mind a better pics. And I don't know if samyang 85 can do the same.

I think, it's my taste of course, that the portraits need F/4 to 8 (specially in heads ones) to obtain the better dof (eyes and nose in tack sharp focus or near to it, eyes and mouth). But it's only subjective.

Although, your pics are wanderfull, I like them a lot. And your model is a beauty too.

Regards, Rino.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="estudleon"]
hinnerker wrote:

I imagine them taken with a summilux R or planar 1,4 (or other excelent 80-85 mm) at F/ 4 to 8 and see in my mind a better pics. And I don't know if samyang 85 can do the same.

Regards, Rino.

http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8293

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="karabud"]
estudleon wrote:
hinnerker wrote:

Regards, Rino.

http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8293

Thanks.

But I see the following:

1- The leica warm cast that show the little doll pics, not is showed in the baby comparation. I don't see a warm leica 80 mm. lens like I see the first comparation pics.

2- In the F/2,8 to 8, the leica is a clear win to me. And I postred that I prefer the F/4 to 8 range to portraits.

3- At F/1,4 the rikenon (samsung) is a very good lens, but from F/2,8 to F/11 it loses with leica.

4- http://www.lenstip.com/166.1-Lens_review-Samyang_85_mm_f_1.4_Aspherical_IF__Introduction.html

I'm not the only one. . . .

But all is subjective in lenses taste

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like using f/1.4-2.8 so this is a bargain for me. This lens is most sharp at full open all 85mm, and cos 250$!. I love it a lot. It less sharper than other primes at f/2.8-f/11 but for me is enough.
This is not samsung it`s samyang Wink
A first portrait with this glass, i know that eye isn`t on focus precisely.

And fullsize 12mpix from fuji s5 pro(it`s 6mpix camera) N0 sharpening:

http://img16.imageshack.us/img16/3325/dscf6304q.jpg

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

estudleon wrote:
hinnerker wrote:

Cheers
Henry

Hi Henry.

I saw very nice pics, really.

I havent doubts that you do as excelent portraits as them with any lens. Your model and your eye mind can do excelent pics with any portrait lens.

I think, it's my taste of course, that the portraits need F/4 to 8 (specially in heads ones) to obtain the better dof (eyes and nose in tack sharp focus or near to it, eyes and mouth). But it's only subjective.

Although, your pics are wanderfull, I like them a lot. And your model is a beauty too.

Regards, Rino.

Hi Rino,

thanks for the compliments..

The images i did show are only test shots showing my wife... and i want to find out the behvior of the Samyang wide open. Normally i shoot portraits stopped down to f/4-5.6..

The Images are taken the same day, the lens arrived on a walk with my wife i want to see how the lens performed wide open, in sunlight, in shadow and so on.

In my eyes, the Samyang is a really gem and a bargain too.
Its sharp and one of the Lenses, when focusing, it makes "pling" in the viewer. The point of sharpness is perfect visible on a EOS 5D FF. I havent seen a lens, which shows you the exakt point of focus in the Viewer as the Samyang. For portraits, this little big gem is perfect in my eyes.

Two remarks:

First:
The Samyang is not optimized for infinity. On infinity i know a lot of better lenses. Even when you stopped down the lens, the images near infinity are not really sharp.

As far as i can see on my EOS 400D with HAODA focusing screen, the infinity is a little behind, where it should be. So its difficult to take shots at infinity.

Second:

The Samyang has a little color fringes in sunlight situation. Even if you stopped down a little, they stay in 100% View.

But in normal light, the lens is beautiful. For Portraits i normally use my Leica Elmarit 2.8/90mm but the Samyang is going to become my favourit for all portraits.

Greetz
Henry

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

karabud wrote:
I like using f/1.4-2.8 so this is a bargain for me. This lens is most sharp at full open all 85mm, and cos 250$!. I love it a lot. It less sharper than other primes at f/2.8-f/11 but for me is enough.
This is not samsung it`s samyang Wink
A first portrait with this glass, i know that eye isn`t on focus precisely.

And fullsize 12mpix from fuji s5 pro(it`s 6mpix camera) N0 sharpening:

http://img16.imageshack.us/img16/3325/dscf6304q.jpg

Fantastic lens indeed. Nice portrait too!