Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Samyang 85/1.4 Aspherical, with D700 @ Comic Con
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 5:48 am    Post subject: Samyang 85/1.4 Aspherical, with D700 @ Comic Con Reply with quote

I used a few lenses at Comic Con over the past few days. As usual, my 20/2 Nikkor got the biggest workout for everything but people, while my BFZ* was exercised by my wife.

One day, I walked around with nothing but the Samyang on my D700. Since I had to push my wife around in a wheelchair (she has a foot problem that doctor's haven't figured out yet), I really didn't get to take very many pictures, but I continue to be impressed by the Samyang.

Of the four sample photos, three were taken at f/2.8, and one was taken at f/1.4. If I want to stop down further, I'd rather use my Nikkor 105/2.5.

The first was taken from a balcony at the San Diego Convention Center. This pic gives only a hint of the crowds--there were 125,000 people in attendance every day, and this was outside the center, where the herd had already thinned considerably.

The second image shows a man and a boy, alone in a crowd, totally engrossed. Not only is this lens very sharp (at f/2.8 and wider), but it has very nice bokeh as well.

The third is of a friend. At f/2.8, her face was in perfect focus, but the dragon on her shoulder...not so much. Although I could get depth of field this shallow with my Nikkor 105/2.5, it's not quite as sharp at f/2.5 as the Samyang is at f/2.8, and I usually (not always) prefer the bokeh of the Samyang. By f/4, I think the Nikkor is a bit sharper.

Shot at ISO 200 and f/1.4 just about sunset under a low overcast sky. Where else but Comic-Con can you see a multi-story Batman seemingly stalking a 30-foot tall Smurf?

*Big Frakking autofocus Zoom

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting review. i've read much on this lens, and your pix do confirm that it is a good piece of lens.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nicely done. The sharpness for my copy is better above f/4. It is good wider but better closed down.