Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Samyang 35/1.4
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 4:00 pm    Post subject: Samyang 35/1.4 Reply with quote

Just got the lens, here are a few samples, i didn t had more time during the day to shoot more with it. I am going to take some night photos of the town where i live, after all, wide aperture lenses where designed to shoot in low light Smile Any ideas , suggestions or requests about sample pictures?

The lens is huge, taller than the Tair 11a, ta bit thicker then the Samyang 85/1.4, but it feels not too heavy. Build quality is a bit better then the 85 sammy, the focusing rin is a bit "softer". I like the red alluminium strip Smile

Tomas

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice samples, I really like #2, seems this lens is sharp with good bokeh, another one to add to my list of must tries.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very interested with results!
Keep them coming!
Cheers.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

congrats for your new lens, very nice results from wide open!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some night shots, handheld.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your night shots are impressive ! Smile
What do you think about distorsion and CA ?
Is your camera a Nikon D700 ?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the bokeh is REALLY good

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
What do you think about distorsion and CA ?
Is your camera a Nikon D700 ?

I didn t notice much distorsion, i ll post some 100% crops for CA and LoCa (the magenta/green, front/back focus ones), i am impressed about flare resistance, look at the last one, i finnaly thought there is one flare spot (the blue spot under the car and to the right), but no, it s one of the small lights that are sinked into the pavement of the road, look at #2, there s also another one.

Quote:
the bokeh is REALLY good

I agree

Tomas

p.s. yes i am using a D700

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice lens, seems that Samyang has a lot of good lenses.

I also see you have a really nice weather in Koper and Portorož.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I decided to get a 35 mm lens after my Nikkor 35/2 AF-D got oil on the iris blades and it s unusable under some light conditions. The weather is fantastic for this period!

Tomas

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent results, I like all of them!
Congrats!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

UPDATE:

Yesterday evening, when i was cleaning the front element, i noticed that it s moving as i gently wiped it (like it s not fully tightened) I then tryed to shake the whole lens, it makes a noise like something is not screwed as it should be, like an AF lens for example. Then i started to hear a "tic, tic...." as i turn the focusing ring from closest focus to infinity. This only happens when i hold the lens vertically. I spoked with the shop where i bought it, i am getting a new one at the end of this or next week.
But in the mean time i ll post some more samples.

Tomas

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More samples:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

#2 of the first set, looks a lot like a Canon L 1.4/35 image. Bokeh is really Canon-like.
Considering that Canon lens costs more than double, I'd say you made a real bargain with this lens.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
#2 of the first set, looks a lot like a Canon L 1.4/35 image. Bokeh is really Canon-like.

Looks #2 is really popular Smile, what do you think of the night shots (technically i mean)? Your night shots with dancers are perfect!

Tomas

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for showing the pics and the explanation of your problem!
On No 9 and 12 I think to see a bit wooly bokeh - or is it more the normal onion ring form?

The weak mechanics seem to be a bigger problem of these Samyang 35/1.4 - or are you active on dpreview too?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tomasg wrote:
Quote:

Looks #2 is really popular Smile, what do you think of the night shots (technically i mean)? Your night shots with dancers are perfect!
Tomas

They look good, in a few of them (like #14) I would perhaps adjust the white and black point a bit.
Unfortunately, while daytime photography allows for a lot of solutions,
night photography can only be as good as the available lights are.
The lens has little influence in night photography, the only important thing it can do is to control flare.
For the rest, you don't see much difference between a 400 Euros lens and a 40 Euros one.
Street lighting is rarely good enough for great photos, because they tend to lighten everywhere so you don't
get a good contrast.
Notice that the two better photos of your night set, #4 and #14, are taken in a situation where the street light is strongly directional
and pretty much alone (there are no other lamps to "water down" the background).
Instead in situations like #2 #5 #7 it's impossible to take good photos, even if you had a 5000 Euros lens.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
On No 9 and 12 I think to see a bit wooly bokeh - or is it more the normal onion ring form?

The weak mechanics seem to be a bigger problem of these Samyang 35/1.4 - or are you active on dpreview too?

If for wooly you mean this:

then yes, otherwise the OOF highlights on the border of the image have the cats eye shape, not overly pronounced.

First time i have a problem with a new lens, i think the problem is just the front element that is not tightened, but the lens is under warranty, so i am not going to touch it. I guess all makers have bad samples, my Nikkor AF-D 35/2 has the well known oily blades and i bought it two years ago.

At dprewiev.com my nick is molloy!

Tomas

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The lens has little influence in night photography, the only important thing it can do is to control flare.

In this department it s good i think, this is the worst flare i could get, but this kind of pics are not good for our eyes:

Tomas

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tomasg wrote:
Quote:

If for wooly you mean this:

then yes, otherwise the OOF highlights on the border of the image have the cats eye shape, not overly pronounced.

First time i have a problem with a new lens, i think the problem is just the front element that is not tightened, but the lens is under warranty, so i am not going to touch it. I guess all makers have bad samples, my Nikkor AF-D 35/2 has the well known oily blades and i bought it two years ago.

At dprewiev.com my nick is molloy!

Tomas

Just looks like "onion ring" OOF highlights to me, which is quite normal for Aspherical lenses or is "the problem" their shape?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think some people call the "swirls" in the highlight itself (present in the first one) "wooliness", or am i wrong? I saw some samples of this in a flickr gallery.

Tomas

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Few more:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent samples, lens is added to the list (not your broken one though! Laughing )

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
ens is added to the list (not your broken one though!

Thanx Graham, don t worry, mine is going to be replaced Very Happy well on a second thought... Razz

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

35mm angle of view

masterpiece of works !