Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Samyang 14mm - samples!
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 6:08 pm    Post subject: Samyang 14mm - samples! Reply with quote

I'm looking forward to taking it out this weekend, it really is W--I--D--E Laughing

Last edited by ManualFocus-G on Sat Jun 11, 2011 3:27 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look forward to seeing the results Smile

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats Graham! I am pretty sure you will love it! After your presentation I will be green from envy Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lucky you, Samyang seems to be out of stock of optical lenses for their 14 and 35mm (they were made in Sendai) ...

Looking forward for the results ...

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never mind that the hood looks to be millimetres thick and bullet-proof, show us the results please!! Wink

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks impressive with it's huge bulbous front glass. Very interested to see your results with it, too. Wink

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

congrats! I am prepared for great fun when you will show portraits of wife and friends at 14mm

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

poilu wrote:
congrats! I am prepared for great fun when you will show portraits of wife and friends at 14mm

he must be careful, my Melissa almost stamped her wet nose on the front glass of my Distagon 15, luckily I was fast enough to withdraw the camera in time Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
poilu wrote:

he must be careful, my Melissa almost stamped her wet nose on the front glass of my Distagon 15, luckily I was fast enough to withdraw the camera in time Rolling Eyes

Laughing Laughing Laughing

I'm hoping to get some great shots in New York later this year, and I really want this to be the right tool for the job. If I get some funny portraits in the meantime, then so be it! Laughing I'd quite like a cow portrait actually...

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ManualFocus-G wrote:
I'd quite like a cow portrait actually...

Now, that's some serious wet nose!! Laughing Laughing Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
ManualFocus-G wrote:
I'd quite like a cow portrait actually...

Now, that's some serious wet nose!! Laughing Laughing Rolling Eyes

Yes, it was close enough last time with the Soligor 17/3.5:

From another angle: Wink

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cute moo!
Images like these always make me feel sorry when I sit at the table Rolling Eyes Laughing
Luckily (for my conscience, my cholesterole and my intestine cancer prevention Laughing ) I'm not a big roasted red meat eater.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Conglats and enjoy your lens! Very Happy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In many years gone buy, I would come home from work, grab a cold beer & go for a walk-about our property. Down the hill in the fenced acre we kept ducks, geese & pigs. The pigs were very friendly & would give me a greeting by stamping my pant-leg with their very wet & sometimes muddy shout unless I carefully presented the bottom of my foot first.

Thinking of times past.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

revers wrote:
In many years gone buy, I would come home from work, grab a cold beer & go for a walk-about our property. Down the hill in the fenced acre we kept ducks, geese & pigs. The pigs were very friendly & would give me a greeting by stamping my pant-leg with their very wet & sometimes muddy shout unless I carefully presented the bottom of my foot first.
Thinking of times past.

Yes, pigs are fantastic animals, lovely and very intelligent. Unfortunately, they are our main food source here. Sad I could easily give up cow meat (which I rarely eat), but I could never give up pig meat Rolling Eyes

Back to topic, I am really looking forward to your results, Graham. I will probably have to sell my Distagon 15 to finance my taxes, so if the Samyang can prove to be a decent alternative, I may become a owner in the future.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've tried couple of shot using this lens (it's my friend's lens) and it looks great. I'll wait for Graham posting his shots first, then I'll post mine Smile

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, went shopping today so had an opportunity to take some snaps as well Wink

#1 @ f5.6

Samyang 14mm in Winchester (3) by ManualFocus-G, on Flickr

100% crop

#2 @ f5.6

Winchester Cathedral with the Samyang 14mm by ManualFocus-G, on Flickr

100% crop

#3 @ f2.8

Gully Gully posing for the Samyang 14mm by ManualFocus-G, on Flickr

100% crop

#4 @ f4

Samyang 14mm in Winchester (2) by ManualFocus-G, on Flickr

(rotated and cropped slightly)

#5 @ f4

Samyang 14mm in Winchester by ManualFocus-G, on Flickr

100% crop

#6 @ f4

Samyang 14mm @ Shakeaway by ManualFocus-G, on Flickr

#7 @ f2.8

Samyang 14mm on the Lupo... by ManualFocus-G, on Flickr[/b]

100% crop

Sorry they're just snaps for the time being, I now need to learn how to use such an extreme wideangle effectively! And I need a spirit level for my hotshoe! Laughing

This lens has some serious resolution Shocked Vignetting is high wide open (I like it!) but goes away at f5.6.

Last edited by ManualFocus-G on Sat Jun 11, 2011 3:51 pm; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow these are awesome!

Funny how KRockwell says this lense is pretty much crap. Pretty much how I feel about his reviews.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Main point of criticism is the wave-like distortion. Good to see on # 7 at the shop counter or table (don´t know exactly what it is) or on # 5 with the pavement.

Wink

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, distortion is there alright Laughing But apparently (I can't confirm this, I can't afford other lenses this wide) it is no worse than other lenses in this range Smile

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are right Graham. I mentioned this only because this is always the main point within reviews here in German magazines. You can see this on your images - but only sometimes. Depending of the scenery you will see it or not.

Wink

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly...at $2000 more it should damn well be better. Laughing

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rolf wrote:
You are right Graham. I mentioned this only because this is always the main point within reviews here in German magazines. You can see this on your images - but only sometimes. Depending of the scenery you will see it or not.

Wink

Yep, although I believe there is an Adobe profile for this crazy lens now? I will probably need this if I am to start taking serious photos with this one Laughing The VW picture shows the distortion very clearly (I should have mentioned that this was the distortion test, but you are correct, the Shakeaway counter also shows it too).

TBaker wrote:
Exactly...at $2000 more it should damn well be better. Laughing

So true Laughing Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ah dang it, you made me wish for this lens Smile

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Incredible! Looking at the far left edge of your very first image I can detect almost NO barrel distortion. That is amazing for a 14mm rectilinear.

Fantastic sharpness, contrast and color as well. Thanks so much for posting these images. I hope that facility in Sendai gets back on its feet soon.