Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Samyang 12mm f2
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 3:28 pm    Post subject: Samyang 12mm f2 Reply with quote

For my 60th birthday I want to treat myself to a new lens for my Sony A6000.
I'm looking for a mf UWA prime lens around 12mm or so with a budget of £300.
I like the results from this lens on this forum and elsewhere, but is there any other lens I should be considering?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 5:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Samyang 12mm f2 Reply with quote

DigiChromeEd wrote:
For my 60th birthday I want to treat myself to a new lens for my Sony A6000.
I'm looking for a mf UWA prime lens around 12mm or so with a budget of £300.
I like the results from this lens on this forum and elsewhere, but is there any other lens I should be considering?

First. Happy birthday!!!!
Second. I had only experience with the Cosina Voigtlander 12 mm in Leica mount.
It's very wide to me. Can't see anything in sharp focus with this lens.
Perhaps was me. I don't know
Not FL to my taste.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laowa has one, not sure what mounts and formats though.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Samyang 12mm f2 Reply with quote

DigiChromeEd wrote:
is there any other lens I should be considering?

There are also 7artisans 12mm f/2.8, Meike 12mm f/2.8 and Pergear 12mm f/2.0 for like half the price of the Samyang, but I do like my Samyang much more.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies and good wishes!
I have looked at the 7artisans 12mm but the image quality is not up to the standards of the Samyang especially in the corners which is important to me for landscape photography.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats Happy Birthday Edgar! Whoo Turtle

You've seen http://forum.mflenses.com/uwa-irix-vs-samyang-vs-takumar-t82234.html maybe others have not yet.

Upgrade your camera to FF -- all your lenses get wider! Or will birthday bunny be along with one, surprise?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:

You've seen http://forum.mflenses.com/uwa-irix-vs-samyang-vs-takumar-t82234.html maybe others have not yet.

Upgrade your camera to FF -- all your lenses get wider! Or will birthday bunny be along with one, surprise?

Ha Ha! I'll not hold my breath for the birthday bunny unfortunately.
I do have a FF Canon EOS system but it seems to be getting heavier to cart around the older I get. Wink

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A bit of apostasy, but for landscape I highly recommend (for crop frame) the Sigma 8-16mm f4.5-5.6 zoom, which you can focus manually if you wish. I have been using one for years and it has never let me down: very sharp, good resistance to flare and not too much distortion. I use a Nikon mount one with adapter on Sony E. You can probably find one used within your budget. I do a lot of landscape HDR with mine. Posting some pix, sorry for the watermark, those are off my site

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow Toby, I love your images! The Sigma is not a lens I had considered but judging by your results I should look into it.

Just one question, if I had this lens in Canon EF mount, is there an adapter to Sony E mount where the aperture of the lens is adjustable?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DigiChromeEd wrote:
Wow Toby, I love your images! The Sigma is not a lens I had considered but judging by your results I should look into it.

Just one question, if I had this lens in Canon EF mount, is there an adapter to Sony E mount where the aperture of the lens is adjustable?

Canon lenses have electronic aperture control, so there is no mechanical way to control aperture. There are a bunch of "smart" adapters on the market that send EXIF data, allow AF and allow you to control the aperture from the camera. They range from the Metabones at $400 down to about $45 for Chinese adapters on eBay, with good middle-of-the-road adapters like the Fotga at about $75. I'm guessing the cheaper ones have slower AF, but if you are manual focusing anyway I guess they would work fine. I don't suggest the very cheapest ones, but the Fotga is probably solid.

https://www.ebay.com/i/401915832575?chn=ps&mkevt=1&mkcid=28

Anyway a Nikon manual adapter will be around $40, so for an extra $35 with the Canon adapter you get EXIF and some level of AF.

I tried or tested a bunch of UWA zooms a while back, and have been very happy with the Sigma. For me the 8mm wide end is what I wanted. It is extreme, but you can always crank it out to 12mm if it is too much. The only real drawback is that it is slow, but if you are doing landscapes it should not be a big problem.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no qualms recommending the Samyang 12mm f2 lens. It is very good optically and very well made. Oh, and well priced. I bought one second hand in M4/3 mount. As I use both M4/3 and cropped sensor Sony cameras I found early on, soon after buying it, that I can use an M4/3 to Sony NEX adapter (it's about 1mm thick) to also mount it on the cropped Sony camera. And it works fine - no noticeable vignetting. I have not pixel peeped the edge results though but always expected it should be fine (as I think it is) because this particular lens is available for both mounts. In any event, be aware that it is from my perspective well worth getting. As to other options, sorry I have no idea.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Samyang 12mm appears to be a very solid performer optically. It has three huge advantages: it is very affordable, it is very fast and it accepts filters. For what it is it appears brilliant.

The Sigma has one major advantage, and that is a extra 20 degrees of angular coverage. And as a zoom gives one flexibility. Optically it is as good or slightly better than the Samyang, but probably not enough to really matter. And it is more than two stops slower and more than twice as expensive. The extra angular coverage can be very dramatic, but 12mm is already quite wide for most purposes.

If I wasn't such an ultrawide freak I think the Samyang would be ideal, and if I didn't have a Nikon 14-24 f2.8 for full frame I might think of getting one for low light work.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Toby, I've ordered the Samyang but may buy the Sigma at a later date when funds allow.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You won't regret with Samyang 12/2, sharp at f2 at all distance

in low light, indoor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by Blazer0ne on Tue Feb 22, 2022 6:05 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blazer0ne wrote:
kymarto wrote:
A bit of apostasy, but for landscape I highly recommend (for crop frame) the Sigma 8-16mm f4.5-5.6 zoom, which you can focus manually if you wish. I have been using one for years and it has never let me down: very sharp, good resistance to flare and not too much distortion. I use a Nikon mount one with adapter on Sony E. You can probably find one used within your budget. I do a lot of landscape HDR with mine.

I had a Sigma 10-20mm DX f4.5-5.6 rectilinear fitted to a Nikon D300. Though, haven't used it much on the Sony camera. Not sure the optical construction, but I was very happy with the lens at the time.

I had the the 10-20 and sold it for the 8-16, which is sharper in the corners and has much better flare resistance. But the 10-20 4-5.6 is not bad at all.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2021 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kymarto wrote:
The Samyang 12mm appears to be a very solid performer optically. It has three huge advantages: it is very affordable, it is very fast and it accepts filters. For what it is it appears brilliant.

The Sigma has one major advantage, and that is a extra 20 degrees of angular coverage. And as a zoom gives one flexibility. Optically it is as good or slightly better than the Samyang, but probably not enough to really matter. And it is more than two stops slower and more than twice as expensive. The extra angular coverage can be very dramatic, but 12mm is already quite wide for most purposes.

If I wasn't such an ultrawide freak I think the Samyang would be ideal, and if I didn't have a Nikon 14-24 f2.8 for full frame I might think of getting one for low light work.

I really like the Samyang 12mm but I have been yearning for something wider. I've taken your advice and ordered a Sigma 8-16mm to use on my Canon EOS50D. A whole new learning curve awaits! Wink

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2021 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DigiChromeEd wrote:
visualopsins wrote:

Ha Ha! I'll not hold my breath for the birthday bunny unfortunately.
I do have a FF Canon EOS system but it seems to be getting heavier to cart around the older I get. Wink

The original Sony A7 is quite light and compact BTW, but congrats with the Sigma.