Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Samoca 38.5mm F1.0 D mount lens converted to MFT
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 2:04 pm    Post subject: Samoca 38.5mm F1.0 D mount lens converted to MFT Reply with quote

I came across a rather interesting lens a couple of weeks ago, a Samoca 1.1/2inch F1.0 D mount lens. I've done a couple of conversions to D mount lenses before to C mount, normally 1/12" almost covers a MFT sensor with some crazy swirl in the corners.

On this one the helicoid barrel was too big to try and squeeze it into a C mount base so I used a MFT C Mount adapter. The helicoid was frozen solid so into the oven it went upto 160C' before it would budge (I did worry about the lenses shattering if the body didn't expand enough, but everything turned out fine)

To my surprise the rear element was huge in comparison to other D mount lenses, my friend with a lathe removed the excess from the base of the lens and the adapter.

The conversion came out OK and the images won't any awards in sharpness, but it is quite a fun lens to play with, The field curvature is crazy and with a bit of work done on the rear retainer ring the image circle almost covers the A6000 sensor which is a bit crazy for a D mount. I think they might have wanted to make it a C mount lens but with the curvature I reckon they scrapped the idea.

I'll load some images of the pictures once I have had a chance to play around with it a bit more

Last edited by Layer-cake on Thu Jun 23, 2016 2:15 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done! Look forward to your photos.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 Thanks Calvin,

I need to get used to the curvature and somehow use that, but so far the images of our new cat have turned out ok..

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so do I! Like 1 small Like 1 small Like 1 small

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats, this is a lens usually seen in C-mount Wink
Klaus has it too, but I do not think he "coupled" Laughing

It can be found as Carl Meyer Videostigmat 38mm f/1 and Soligor Elitar 38mm f/1

What did you pay for it?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooo you are right, searching under the samoca brand didn't bring anything up for it and all I could find was the rexar D mount lens with the same spec but not the same body

Here is a thread Klaus did a couple of years back, the lens itself has the very same heavy field curvature

http://forum.mflenses.com/carl-meyer-videostigmat-f1-0-1-5-38mm-t32564.html

I got very lucky by the looks of things

Last edited by Layer-cake on Tue Sep 06, 2016 9:14 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Layer-cake wrote:
Ooo you are right, searching under the samoca brand didn't bring anything up for it and all I could find was the rexar D mount lens with the same spec but not the same body

Here is a thread Klaus did a couple of years back, the lens itself has the very same heavy field curvature

http://forum.mflenses.com/carl-meyer-videostigmat-f1-0-1-5-38mm-t32564.html

I got very lucky by the looks of things, bought this for about $20

This lens sells for $500 in C-mount Wink
Do the serial have a "K" prefix on your lens?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw that, it almost makes me a bit sad as I am quite strict on myself for what I can keep price wise......I justified keeping a exacta mount Trioplan recently as the mount type here in SA is not desirable and it had some heavy scratches on the front but such is life.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wink , any serial info?