Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Sad Lonely Lucas 1+2 - two sad little Movies about solitude
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:18 am    Post subject: Sad Lonely Lucas 1+2 - two sad little Movies about solitude Reply with quote

Hi there,

last October I moved into a new City (Berlin, maybe you know it) and I just came across that I left my favorite Photography-Forum behind; I'm sorry for that Sad

Since then I made a lot of stuff regarding DSLRs, MF-Lenses and Movies, but most of them were paid Jobs so I can't show them directly (except for this "awesome" commercial which runned in German TVs on christmas 2010)

But I made two little movies, starring me. And anything else (except the music) was also done by me.
I'm working on the third part right now, I'm really excited about this Smile

Anyway, I want to show you the first two movies. But I warn you: they're sad Smile

SAD LONELY LUCAS - english subtitles

SAD LONELY LUCAS 2 - english subtitles

Hope you liked them - and as a Disclaimer: I'm actually not sad, I had lots of fun doing them Smile

Best Regards,
Lucas

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I liked the first video, you seemed a little more sad.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi Lucas,
I appreciate the effort - it's always best to try and do something than to just sit and talk, even at a great forum like this.
I have a couple criticisms, that I intend constructive, I hope you'll take them as meant:

- regarding cutting/editing, you seem to make a lot of joints with the tempo of the music. This may work in a musical video (but not always), it does not work well in a narrative video, because it feels mechanical, especially since most shots are with fixed camera, and people start to expect it, and then it feels too artificial.

- regarding the symbols, I think you are being too descriptive. Things like empty booze bottles, or no friends in Facebook and no messages/calls in cell phone, are exactly the commonplace, what all people expects to see, they are worn out symbols already before you use them. You need to be creative instead. If your subject is the lonelyness, then you have to make the effort of showing it from an unexpected, as-new-as-possible angle. You have to make your audience follow your tracks until at one point they are touched and think "yes... yes, that is very lonely, and I never realized it".
You will never get there with a list of commonplaces.
So instead look into your life and try to recollect the moments when you really felt lonely, and try to associate those moments with things or actions or places, that you actually lived - elements that are real, not rhethorical.
Or if you're really good at imagination, try to imagine something completely new.

I can not give advices, because everyone must find their own ways. But I know there are almost limitless possibilities yet to explore in language (be it verbal or iconic).

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi mmelvis,

Fun Fact: the first movie was a simple fun, the second not at all...
My Flatmate owns a GoPro Hero HD, so I "invented" the shot in the Bathroom (also, I just bought my Tokina 11-16 f2.8 back then, and I wanted to use it there). That's where the whole idea came from. Then one Weekend, all my Flatmates (I have 2,5) left for family and girlfriends, and as we were new to Berlin, I was "all alone". So I thought about making this Film, showing everyone how I missed them, and of course having great fun.
The second one was different. I thought about making Part 2 for Christmas, Part 3 for New Years Eve. But I didn't managed this because of time-difficulties, so it were just one movie with both Elements (the clue is, that everything I get for Christmas was everything I wished for in the first part, at least somehow). But I'm telling you this because of something different:
On the Day I shot part 2, I had a very nasty (lets call it) breakup with a Girl, and in fact I was sad. Maybe that's why it looks less sad - because it was true Smile

Hi there Orio,

as I'm not native english, I try to take anything I read not as I understand them, I try to get them "nice" Smile I appreciate any critic from guys who what they're talking about (of course critics from other people are great too, but sometimes a bit strange if you know what I mean).

I see what you got there. FYI: the Facebook-Thingy was not because of "no friends", it's because of my Profile-Picture. You can not know this, but I was excited over this picture and everybody around me got angry because I yelled out how great it was - so the fun thing is an Insider, of course that's not good for a public Video, but as mentioned before, it started as "local joke" Smile
The New Years Eve with the Cell Phone is a Thing for it self... btw, I'm living in the first floor, the Firework wasn't real of course. The Mobile-Phone has not SMS or Calls, and you know what? I didn't got any for real Very Happy

I know that these two movies are much of a thing you get better if you know me, but I came across they kinda-work for others too Smile

I really think the same about some stuff you are mentioning there, and I'm happy you talk about this. I just finally shot part 3, and when my Assignments are due, I can finally edit it.
I think what you say about Narration and Symbols got a whole lot better - I think Part 3 will be very, very nice Smile

Best Regards,
Lucas