Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

S/H 40D or S/H 5D
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 1:54 pm    Post subject: S/H 40D or S/H 5D Reply with quote

This is racking my brain something chronic!

I've decided to retire my 20D and therefore need a replacement.

With my style of photography, (landscapes, portraits, low light etc) I know that FF is more catered to my needs but is it worth the extra?

I can pick up an as-new 40D for £450, or I can pick up an excellent condition 5D for £800. Both with warranties.

Is the 5D really worth double?

Also, can someone get me an aspirin? Laughing

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 2:02 pm    Post subject: Re: S/H 40D or S/H 5D Reply with quote

2Thumbs wrote:
This is racking my brain something chronic!

I've decided to retire my 20D and therefore need a replacement.

With my style of photography, (landscapes, portraits, low light etc) I know that FF is more catered to my needs but is it worth the extra?

I can pick up an as-new 40D for £450, or I can pick up an excellent condition 5D for £800. Both with warranties.

Is the 5D really worth double?

Also, can someone get me an aspirin? Laughing

If you would shoot mostly with wide angle lenses 5D is right choice due full frame sensor. 40D is a better advanced camera , but it has crop sensor. Landscape, low light, portrait should fine with 40D. In my opinion for landscapes better choice to use medium format film camera+slide than 5D even with best lenses.
In your case I select 40D + a medium format camera+scanner like Epson V500.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had the same arguement with myself recently Laughing

To me, the 40D is a perfect crop sensor camera as it mounts all sorts of lenses, has a great viewfinder and liveview for those awkward macro moments.

However, the 5D is full frame for landscapes and will have an even bigger viewfinder.

Personally, I'm going for a 5D AND a 40D Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shrek wrote:
Personally, I'm going for a 5D AND a 40D

I would like a 5DII and 7D Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the other option Attila. Not something I've considered but film is something I'd love to get in to.

I wish owning both was viable, but it isn't.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shrek wrote:
I've had the same arguement with myself recently Laughing

To me, the 40D is a perfect crop sensor camera as it mounts all sorts of lenses, has a great viewfinder and liveview for those awkward macro moments.

However, the 5D is full frame for landscapes and will have an even bigger viewfinder.

Personally, I'm going for a 5D AND a 40D Laughing Laughing

I'd vote for this combo and probably what I will do in the future. The 40D and 5D are so different that I can justify having both. 5D for portraits & landscapes. The 40D for live action, wildlife and backup for portraits when I want to use a fast normal prime.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To me, having to decide between crop or ff for my next purchasing decision, assuming that this camera would replace what I already own, would be a quandary. I think that, in order to come to a correct solution, I would have to take a close look at the sort of photography I'm doing now, and what I think I'll be doing in the future. Plus, mindset probably ought to be taken into account as well.

I can only say what my long term plans are in response: I plan to keep my XS (1000D) because it's good enough for what it does, even though it is too small and feels kind of plasticky. And I've decided that my next EOS DSLR will be FF. My mindset is too firmly planted within a 35mm frame of reference -- so much so that I have to continually remind myself of my camera's crop factor. Plus I still shoot 35mm, including EOS, and considering all this, I think I'd be much happier if my next good SLR were a FF like a 5D or 5D-II. The fact that I already have five regular EF lenses certainly helps in this regard.