Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Rust on blades: how serious?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:33 pm    Post subject: Rust on blades: how serious? Reply with quote

I'm considering a rare lens at a very good price which has a working aperture but the blades are blueish and the seller explains it is rust.

There are no rust flakes.

What should I do?

TY SIrs

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rare lens, very good price , pay and run Laughing Laughing

Seriously if it is cause any trouble rust is removable and you can make it to passive if need.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Rare lens, very good price , pay and run Laughing Laughing

Seriously if it is cause any trouble rust is removable and you can make it to passive if need.

TY attila for quick reply.

Lens on the way w/ 10 day right of return.

I will post pics,

Best

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which lens ? You did make me to curious Laughing

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Which lens ? You did make me to curious Laughing

well it's not really THAT rare, hehe

Canon RF 50mm f/1.2 ltm mount.

Once in a while you see a decent one for 400--then they go in 3 minutes, otherwise it's 500+

This one has some cleaning marks--not bad supposedly, and bluish rust issue: 325

The price and the ability to send it back (along with your advice), I figured why not?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Rust on blades: how serious? Reply with quote

uhoh7 wrote:
I'm considering a rare lens at a very good price which has a working aperture but the blades are blueish and the seller explains it is rust.

There are no rust flakes.

What should I do?

TY SIrs

Blue rust? I am not sure that's correct Smile Sounds more like the color they should be Smile

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well this is an experienced dealer: igor camera

He's known for reasonable prices but sometimes gruff. He was nice to me. So I don't think I'm fooling anyone.

If it's a good user I'll be happy.

He said rust, i asked: you seeing any red flakes inside the lens? He said: no,no, the blades are blue in parts. Try it, send it back if you no like.

Ok igor.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I not expect any problem, I think you will be a proud and happy owner of this lens.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
I not expect any problem, I think you will be a proud and happy owner of this lens.

You are a sweet man very nice thing to say.

Don't get the wrong idea, hehe.

You make me think of my last visit to Budapest in 1985. Anything changed?

I have the 1.4 and the 1.8, both good.

But a search on flickr shows the unique nature of the 1.2 in oof rendering---shades of the rokkor.

Yet it is only 363 grams and short. Good for nex.

We will see.

Meantime I have 2 more special lenses coming, also not mint, both canon rf:

85 1.8

100 2

And I did find a lnib cv 28 f/3.5 for a reasonable price.

So now I am out of money.

Except maybe if I find cheap nikkor 28 pc....

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exciting lenses all , I know nothing about them Sad Can't wait to see your samples at Galleries. Hungary is changed a lot from 1985 , still a pleasant place to visit.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Exciting lenses all , I know nothing about them Sad Can't wait to see your samples at Galleries. Hungary is changed a lot from 1985 , still a pleasant place to visit.

TY sir, I bet it has changed alot!

now the color has changed to: "brown, not blue, not red"

from a second call, hehe

oh well we'll see

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:08 pm    Post subject: rust on iris blades Reply with quote

I have a Novoflex 60mm f/4.0 bellows macro lens, it had ruwst on the lens blades. But with some cleaning I make the iris usable. Not like new, but ok.

Novoflex60 von Time-4-Photos auf Flickr

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:38 pm    Post subject: Re: rust on iris blades Reply with quote

ZoneV wrote:
I have a Novoflex 60mm f/4.0 bellows macro lens, it had ruwst on the lens blades. But with some cleaning I make the iris usable. Not like new, but ok.

Novoflex60 von Time-4-Photos auf Flickr

If this one works , I think don't need to worry about at all some rusty spoots, than you for sharing it!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZoneV:

How did you clean?

You have superb photostream

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took the iris assembly apart (easy at this Novoflex), and cleaned the iris blades with WD 40, oil and isopropanol as I remember.

I am not sure whether the iris would be snappy enough for a camera controlled iris function, but it is fast enough for my manual work.

The flickr photostream is only a "me too" photostream, my real output with in depth information is my homepage: http://www.4photos.de/camera-diy/Photo-DIY.html
But somtimes some bits and pieces are only on flickr - it is easier.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZoneV wrote:
I took the iris assembly apart (easy at this Novoflex), and cleaned the iris blades with WD 40, oil and isopropanol as I remember.

I am not sure whether the iris would be snappy enough for a camera controlled iris function, but it is fast enough for my manual work.

The flickr photostream is only a "me too" photostream, my real output with in depth information is my homepage: http://www.4photos.de/camera-diy/Photo-DIY.html
But somtimes some bits and pieces are only on flickr - it is easier.

Cannot thank you enough Markus

Your DIY reference is out of this world

I see you use canon alot and convert mounts, here is my favorite nFD:

I'm also very interested in your work with tilt/shift. I have a tilt adapter, and now two nikon shift lenses that I want to use simply for landscape DOF enhancement, rather than "miniature effects". Where can we start a thread on that?

all the best,

Charlie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

uhoh7 wrote:
...Cannot thank you enough Markus
Your DIY reference is out of this world

Thanks a lot Embarassed

Probably the Technik forum
http://forum.mflenses.com/techniques-f14.html
would bei the right place for Tilt and Tilt/Shift discussions. But I am not a Scheimpflug geek Smile

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update on this.

Recieved the lens. Blades had brown discoloration in spots but seemed usable.

Glass was heavily marked, had fingerprint on the inside and what seemed to be a slight oil film on one interior element.

Results were abominable---had to return it.

Thanks again for the advice on the blades,

Best

Charlie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

uhoh7 wrote:
Update on this.

Recieved the lens. Blades had brown discoloration in spots but seemed usable.

Glass was heavily marked, had fingerprint on the inside and what seemed to be a slight oil film on one interior element.

Results were abominable---had to return it.

Thanks again for the advice on the blades,

Best

Charlie

Sorry to hear !