Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Russian lot
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 2:47 pm    Post subject: Russian lot Reply with quote

Today I bought this Russian lot.

H - means Nikon mount

MC Kaleinar-5H 2.8/100
MC MIR-24-H 2/35
Telear-H 3.5/200
ARSAT H 1.4/50

None of them MINT looking, they are used for years serve a photographer as well. They are optically ok or excellent I am so curious about their quality. Orio love his MIR-24 , Carsten said Telear is a goos lens as well and I heard Kaleinar is a good average portrait lens, but I never heard anything about ARSAT 1.4/50 is anybody have it ? Especially good, all lens have Nikon mount I love to take Nikon mount lenses, because I believe sometimes I will buy again a Nikon camera.

Last edited by Attila on Fri Aug 31, 2007 2:57 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first time to hear about these lenses' name (except MIR).

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are quiet rare as many Russians.I never heard only the Arsat-H 50mm f1.4 lens.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow!

Great lenses! Do you remember? I've got the Telear 200. It's a wonderful lens (at least my copy is).

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I remembered, I bought this because you recommended.
Wink

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila
Looking forward to seeing some samples - especially that Arsat 50/1.4. Be interesting to compare with the nikkor.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it is. I cleaned this lens today evening, because was pretty dirty I try to make some samples tomorrow. I don't believe it will be better than Nikkor, but who knows.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today I tested Telear 200mm f3.5 and Arsat 1.4/50mm lens, both are equal quality with Nikkor lenses in this focal length and much more cheaper and rare.

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Today I tested Telear 200mm f3.5 and Arsat 1.4/50mm lens, both are equal quality with Nikkor lenses in this focal length and much more cheaper and rare.

I just bought a Telear 200mm f/3.5 in Nikon mount for EUR 42 (priced in USD, might as well take advantage of the exchange rate...). I expect it will take some time to arrive. Having seen several recommendations on it ,and as its Nikon mount, decided it was time for my first Soviet lens.

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That whole Russian Nikon mount system was quite rare wasn't it ?

I wonder why they bothered.

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

luisalegria wrote:

Because they had a camera (Kiev-19) which used it, apparently. The fact that these lenses also fit on Nikon cameras is kind of a side effect. They just re-used the mount.

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChrisLilley wrote:
luisalegria wrote:

Because they had a camera (Kiev-19) which used it, apparently. The fact that these lenses also fit on Nikon cameras is kind of a side effect. They just re-used the mount.

I see it with a different emphasis...
The Russians aren't daft, and probably thought of the wide sales they would get by launching a Nikon-mounted camera and good quality third party lenses on the world at a fraction of the price of genuine Nikon glass. Probably an attempt to emulate the previous success of M42, by cashing in on the huge Nikon market of the day, especially those who couldn't afford full-price Nikon gear. Whether they ever licensed the mount (or maybe it was out of patent) is another thing entirely.

The real orphan camera mount is the Kiev-15, iirc. Nothing fits it, and it fits nothing else.

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Farside wrote:
[The Russians aren't daft, and probably thought of the wide sales they would get by launching a Nikon-mounted camera and good quality third party lenses on the world at a fraction of the price of genuine Nikon glass.

According to some sources, top professional photo-reporters in the Soviet Union were increasingly using Nikon SLR bodies smuggled from abroad. I guess that might have prompted the Department of the Plan to launch the fabrication of a locally made camera in Nikon mount, for the same reason that Leica clones were created in the USSR when some famous Soviet photographers began to use the German small format camera.

Cheers!

Abbazz

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So am I going to be happy with this lens, do you think, or is it an also-ran which works OK but is inferior to the Nikon glass? Attila indicated that it was comparable and LucisPictor said it was wonderful ... yes I should wait and see ... waiting is hard.

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Abbazz wrote:

According to some sources, top professional photo-reporters in the Soviet Union were increasingly using Nikon SLR bodies smuggled from abroad. I guess that might have prompted the Department of the Plan to launch the fabrication of a locally made camera in Nikon mount, for the same reason that Leica clones were created in the USSR when some famous Soviet photographers began to use the German small format camera.
Cheers!
Abbazz

Surely this is the main reason, but I remember that in the last decade of the Soviet empire (the period in which most of these lenses were released) the exports to the western world had increased significantly compared to the hardest cold war days. So I am sure that there was also an export plan behind the choice of releasing lenses with Nikon mount.

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same for the K pentax mount russian lenses (which are even more rare) : http://www.zenit.istra.ru/catalog/catalog-lenses-90.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zenitar