Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Rubber tools
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 1:53 pm    Post subject: Rubber tools Reply with quote

Hi guys,
few days ago I posted this question to a sticky topic about basic techniques to repair lenses, with zero success.
I think maybe a separate topic can get more attention and can be useful for others as well.

Please help in choosing a proper name ring removal tool. I have some lenses, which might benefit from cleaning, and I would benefit from gaining skills, so a professional service is not an option. Mostly these lenses are 3xxxxxx-4xxxxxx CZJ (Tessars, Biotars, Triotar etc.). The most common filter threads are 40.5mm, 49mm, 58mm.

Please share your experience, how flexible and pliant these rubber things are? I mean, if for example I need to unscrew the name ring from a 49mm lens, a common sense is that a rubber diameter should be 2-3mm less, say 46mm, to not interfere tight with the thread itself? I understand that for achieving of good touch the rubber should be more or less soft. And my concern is that if the rubber is quite squeezable, the rubber can shrink into the middle and don't allow firm grip (if the name-ring is not flat, but inclined towards the middle). In such a case should a rubber diameter be exact 49mm to fit to the ring firmly and don't shrink to the middle?
So, the first question is: for a 49mm-thread lens - do I need a rubber of 46mm, or 49mm diameter?

And the second question, after the diameters will be chosen, please help me to choose between the different makes.
1. A black rubber set http://www.ebay.com/itm/pro-Rubber-Lens-Repair-set-8-for-lens-openning-tool-fix-/350261526752?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item518d36c0e0
2. A yellow rubber set http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rubber-Repair-tool-set-Ring-Filter-Removal-Spanner-Wrench-For-DSLR-Lens-37-86mm-/180949719231?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a217198bf
3.A grey rubber set http://www.ebay.com/itm/18-Sizes-Lens-Tool-Filter-Wrench-Set-Rubber-37mm-43mm-72mm-77mm-82mm-86mm-etc-/200817528022?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2ec1a84cd6
4. Few of these separately http://www.ebay.com/itm/49mm-49-Silicone-Rubber-Lens-Repair-Tool-Filter-Wrench-Scratch-Free-NEW-/190624226859?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c6216de2b

All opinions are welcome! Thank you!

Last edited by tond on Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:42 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never used any of these rubber but sometimes scotch taps will help when opening name ring. Just stick two piece of scotch tap in opposite side and push both tape at the end in the same time.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To remove the name ring on the front of a lens I had.... I cut down a rubber sink plug (making sure it did not rest/sit on the glass of course)...crude but effective.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mo wrote:
To remove the name ring on the front of a lens I had.... I cut down a rubber sink plug (making sure it did not rest/sit on the glass of course)...crude but effective.

I do that too. My sink plug is 45mm diameter and works well on 49mm lens fronts. Smile

I've also used sticky tape for the same purpose, with some success.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys,
Thank you for your responses.
I meant to write you when my exercise is over.

I didn't buy the rubber tools tools yet; Instead I tried what was readily available.

WD-40 - served double purpose here:
- few drops between the name ring and the rim
- perfectly fits to 49mm filter thread lenses. It's easy to pick up aerosol cans for other sizes
A rubber glove - push and turn the can through only one ply of the glove, to avoid slipping

Worked for me.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Drilled-Gum-Stopper-9-5-homebrew-brewing-rubber-plug-/230720266646?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35b7ffe196

or these
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Better-Bottle-Bung-Homebrew-Cork-Stopper-Demijohn-NEW-/390183664715?pt=Home_Brew&hash=item5ad8c23c4b
I get them from a local homebrew company they do in several sizes number 10 is 46mm and 49mm

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never seen a can and rubber glove combo before, but if it works without damaging anything why not eh Very Happy

I'd like to have a set of rubber rings but can't decide which ones to buy. Sad

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Asahi M42 lens cap with rubber glove trick, works well on Takumar name rings with 49mm filter diameter...

Find a lens cap that fits!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello:

I bought the tools you put rubber on the first link. They work great. Of these, the most use is the second largest. With this I removed lenses Helios, Pentacon, Takumar, Pentax, Canon, Nikon...

Regards.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thundertwin72 wrote:
Hello:

I bought the tools you put rubber on the first link. They work great. Of these, the most use is the second largest. With this I removed lenses Helios, Pentacon, Takumar, Pentax, Canon, Nikon...

Regards.

Thanks for letting us know Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For what its worth, I just got the second set on that list. And just opened a Konica 28mm without any issues.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RnR wrote:
For what its worth, I just got the second set on that list. And just opened a Konica 28mm without any issues.

Good to hear it works ok. Smile

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tond wrote:
Hi guys,
Thank you for your responses.
I meant to write you when my exercise is over.

I didn't buy the rubber tools tools yet; Instead I tried what was readily available.

WD-40 - served double purpose here:
- few drops between the name ring and the rim
- perfectly fits to 49mm filter thread lenses. It's easy to pick up aerosol cans for other sizes
A rubber glove - push and turn the can through only one ply of the glove, to avoid slipping

Worked for me.

i could just hug you Smile [kidding]. your invention (glove + canister) helped me open auto sears 28/2.8...

thanks dude.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a rear lens cap with the rubber glove. M42 caps fit neatly inside 49mm filter rings. The can is a good idea too! Smile

For smaller diameter caps, like those on film advance levers, I use an engine valve grinding tool (from a car parts shop). It's like a very small sink plunger, but stiffer, with a wooden handle.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jvg wrote:

i could just hug you Smile [kidding]. your invention (glove + canister) helped me open auto sears 28/2.8...

thanks dude.

hehe, I'm glad I helped, thanks, man! Smile

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tond wrote:
Jvg wrote:

thanks dude.

hehe, I'm glad I helped, thanks, man! Smile

you indeed did help, and saved me some $$$ Very Happy

btw nice looking biotar you got there, just like mine but cleaner.Smile mine is due for opening/cleaning/lubing. any tips/instructions you can supply?? Very Happy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jvg wrote:

you indeed did help, and saved me some $$$ Very Happy

btw nice looking biotar you got there, just like mine but cleaner.Smile mine is due for opening/cleaning/lubing. any tips/instructions you can supply?? Very Happy

My biotar was very good from outside, but had fungus.
The preset biotar is very easy lens. But of course you need to have a lens spanner. This is a must. Once you have it, all the rings are simple to unscrew. The only one trick need to keep in mind. If you look at the lens from the rear side, you see three rings to unscrew. There is a fourth one, the outmost of them all, it sits deep, you barely can see it in the slit between the outmost of the tree visible rings and the lens's rear edge. My spanner couldn't get there, go I managed with two thin screwdrivers. This is the only trick. The rest is easy.

I'n not at home, I'm in a business trip and will be home in two week. So unfortunately I cannot show on pictures.
If you have any difficulties don't hesitate to ask!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tond wrote:

My biotar was very good from outside, but had fungus.
The preset biotar is very easy lens. But of course you need to have a lens spanner. This is a must. Once you have it, all the rings are simple to unscrew. The only one trick need to keep in mind. If you look at the lens from the rear side, you see three rings to unscrew. There is a fourth one, the outmost of them all, it sits deep, you barely can see it in the slit between the outmost of the tree visible rings and the lens's rear edge. My spanner couldn't get there, go I managed with two thin screwdrivers. This is the only trick. The rest is easy.

I'n not at home, I'm in a business trip and will be home in two week. So unfortunately I cannot show on pictures.
If you have any difficulties don't hesitate to ask!

Thanks. Much appreciate any insight you can give me. I definitely need to remove the front element on my biotar, as it seems to have some sort of bubbling residue going on on the inner side. Also, it had dented filter ring corrected by previous owner, and filter threads on the dent spot are crushed. Once the front element is out, i might try to file it down with sand paper. I know there are some variations of this lens in M42, some have a screw on the focus ring, but mine doesn't (i believe mine is from mid 50s - serial starts with 35). And on my copy, focus ring gets sticky at roughly 1 meter mark, and needs a slightly harder push to turn (at that mark only). so lubing is required. Should i dis-assemble the lens from rear end, to get focus ring removed, or from front?

P.S. i am, i no rush to clean this lens, so if you can perhaps post assembly and re-assembly pictures/instructions of it, whenever you get back from business trip and get some time to do it, that would be extremely useful.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jvg wrote:

Thanks. Much appreciate any insight you can give me. I definitely need to remove the front element on my biotar, as it seems to have some sort of bubbling residue going on on the inner side. Also, it had dented filter ring corrected by previous owner, and filter threads on the dent spot are crushed. Once the front element is out, i might try to file it down with sand paper. I know there are some variations of this lens in M42, some have a screw on the focus ring, but mine doesn't (i believe mine is from mid 50s - serial starts with 35). And on my copy, focus ring gets sticky at roughly 1 meter mark, and needs a slightly harder push to turn (at that mark only). so lubing is required. Should i dis-assemble the lens from rear end, to get focus ring removed, or from front?

P.S. i am, i no rush to clean this lens, so if you can perhaps post assembly and re-assembly pictures/instructions of it, whenever you get back from business trip and get some time to do it, that would be extremely useful.

You can unscrew all three elements (two lens groups) from the rear side, and three elements (two lens groups) from the front side. Interesting architecture of the lens - you can unscrew ALL the elements without interfering with lens mechanical part, without dismantling the helicoid. So in fact you have your fully mounted lens, everything is moving - focus ring, aperture ring etc, but there are no glasses inside Smile
This is what I did... As the mechanical part was perfect, I only cared about cleaning the glasses, for me it was sufficient to take out the glasses. And I didn't touch anything in the focusing assembly or aperture.. So unfortunately I hardly can help you here Sad But when I'm home and get the lens in hands, maybe I recollect something useful. Good luck! Smile

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tond wrote:

You can unscrew all three elements (two lens groups) from the rear side, and three elements (two lens groups) from the front side. Interesting architecture of the lens - you can unscrew ALL the elements without interfering with lens mechanical part, without dismantling the helicoid. So in fact you have your fully mounted lens, everything is moving - focus ring, aperture ring etc, but there are no glasses inside Smile
This is what I did... As the mechanical part was perfect, I only cared about cleaning the glasses, for me it was sufficient to take out the glasses. And I didn't touch anything in the focusing assembly or aperture.. So unfortunately I hardly can help you here Sad But when I'm home and get the lens in hands, maybe I recollect something useful. Good luck! Smile

for now i might just clean up the glass elements, and leave sticky focus ring be. until, unless i figure out better and easy way to take apart focus ring without rendering the lens irreparable Smile

thanks again, for really useful info.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought from this seller:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rubber-Repair-tool-set-Ring-Filter-Removal-Spanner-Wrench-For-DSLR-Lens-37-86mm-/180949719231?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a217198bf

Good rubber, but don't have other to compare. The rubbers just do the job well.