Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Rotten foam removal
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:17 pm    Post subject: Rotten foam removal Reply with quote

A friend of mine just off-loaded a box of "junk" on me which included one or two more interesting items. Amongst the stuff was a case in which was a Zenit E with a Helios 44-2 58mm f/2 lens. The only problem is that the foam in the case had gone completely rotten so that everything is now covered in grey gunk. Any suggestions as to the best way to clean this off without damaging the camera, or more importantly the lens?

Also included was a Fuji STX-2 camera with a X-Fujinon 50mm f/1.9 lens and a Sirius MC 80-200mm f/3.9 zoom to go with it, a Lubitel medium format TLR and four different instant film cameras.

The only things I can see myself keeping are the Lubitel and the Helios.

Best wishes, Kris.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Household alcohol works well, but sometimes it damages plastic so be careful on non-metal parts. Lighter fluid is less efficient but also much less aggressive.

I'd keep the Fuji too if I were you. Smile

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This may sound odd, but you could try using tape.

I use strips of plain clear scotch tape to remove all kinds of marks, adhesives, stickers, fuzz, etc from things. Just hold onto both ends, then stick the middle part over what you want to remove, and pull it back off. Repeat a dozen times or so, and it will pull a little more off each time. Cool

It's especially handy in that it is dry, and that it picks up its own mess. Very Happy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

compressed air will get rid of anything loose and non-sticky, especially tiny particles in hard-to-reach places ...

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before applying alcohol or lighter fluid, which dissolve foam into a gooey mess, use a blower and soft brush, then wipe with microfiber cloth.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello, there.
You've been greatly advised. An old/spare toothbrush might be useful to help removing the goo.

Cheers, M.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A toothbrush and either WD40 or lighter fluid are my usual cleaning materials.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the suggestions. It is cleaning up slowly but I fear it is going to be a long job. Luckily, the glass is nice and clean, it is just the bodywork.

Best wishes, Kris.