Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Ross Xpres 75mm F3.5 on NEX 5N
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 3:24 pm    Post subject: Ross Xpres 75mm F3.5 on NEX 5N Reply with quote

Here are some samples taken taken with the above lens yesterday. Some of the photos are taken with a pretty high ISO as the lighting condition is changing from time to time. As a result, I will comment on this lens now until I have chance to test it again in the future.

Click the photo to enlarge:

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 small Like 1 small Like 1 small

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:
Like 1 small Like 1 small Like 1 small

Thank you! Thank You Dog

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice. A 75mm Xpres is not a common thing, is it a barrel lens or in a shutter?

It's probably a tessar 4/3 type as most Xpres were, but not all, there were dialytes, plasmats and double gauss Xpres models and probably some other designs too, but alll of them were very fine lenses. I have a few Xpres lenses and love em all, particularly a 4 inch that is stunning on my Sony a850.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is in a shutter taken from an folder camera which is quiet common in the UK. I think it is a Tessar judging from the reflections.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only one I know is the ensign folder, yours will be from the 6x6 version, I have the 6x9 version which also has an Xpres, I forget the exact length, 85mm I think. It was a high end model designed to compete with the Zeiss and Voigtlander models with Tessars and Skopars respectively, and as I own several German 6x9 folders variously equipped with Tessar, Skopar, Xenar and others I can safely say the Xpres is as good as the best of the Germans from the same time period.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i had seen your samples on flickr, really nice!

a lens (or old camera) to look out for!

René.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
The only one I know is the ensign folder, yours will be from the 6x6 version, I have the 6x9 version which also has an Xpres, I forget the exact length, 85mm I think. It was a high end model designed to compete with the Zeiss and Voigtlander models with Tessars and Skopars respectively, and as I own several German 6x9 folders variously equipped with Tessar, Skopar, Xenar and others I can safely say the Xpres is as good as the best of the Germans from the same time period.

Ian - the 6x9cm lens would have been a 105mm. If you took it from a Ross Ensign folder can you remember if it was the coupled rangefinder model? That is, the Autorange 820. I have a specific reason for asking. The 105 Xpres on the Autorange 820 was a different computation from that on the slightly earlier Selfix 820 (the one with the uncoupled rangefinder). Reviews at the time found the 'improved' Xpres to be less good than the other version and Ross either ignored the negative reports or chose to ignore them. Perhaps in consequence the model had quite a short production life. It really would be interesting to see some results today so maybe you could show us some - whatever version you have. From memory, I think the Autorange 820 came with a Prontor shutter rather than Ross' own Epsilon

My apologies to Calvin for causing a diversion !

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scsambrook wrote:
..... the Autorange 820 ....

just looked that one up and found one on ebay: http://tinyurl.com/zntwrr7 Shocked

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TrueLoveOne wrote:
scsambrook wrote:
..... the Autorange 820 ....

just looked that one up and found one on ebay: http://tinyurl.com/zntwrr7 Shocked

It is rumored that the lens comes with the camera is an APO lens and the price rises after the rumor. However, I think it is just an speculation made from the color dots on the name plate.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scsambrook wrote:
iangreenhalgh1 wrote:

Ian - the 6x9cm lens would have been a 105mm. If you took it from a Ross Ensign folder can you remember if it was the coupled rangefinder model? That is, the Autorange 820. I have a specific reason for asking. The 105 Xpres on the Autorange 820 was a different computation from that on the slightly earlier Selfix 820 (the one with the uncoupled rangefinder). Reviews at the time found the 'improved' Xpres to be less good than the other version and Ross either ignored the negative reports or chose to ignore them. Perhaps in consequence the model had quite a short production life. It really would be interesting to see some results today so maybe you could show us some - whatever version you have. From memory, I think the Autorange 820 came with a Prontor shutter rather than Ross' own Epsilon

I have one of these on my desk at this moment, Xpres 105 / 3.8, Epsilon shutter and it's the earlier version. The camera is a bit rough but restorable, but the lens and shutter are just about perfect.
I took the lens off a few days ago and tried freelensing with it in front of the A6000 and didn't think I was getting focus at any distance, so I put it back on the camera and tried to sell it for £5, which would have been a £3 profit. I'm beginning to think I was lucky to not sell it.
What adapter are you guys using to use this lens?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloydy wrote:

I have one of these on my desk at this moment, Xpres 105 / 3.8, Epsilon shutter and it's the earlier version. The camera is a bit rough but restorable, but the lens and shutter are just about perfect.
I took the lens off a few days ago and tried freelensing with it in front of the A6000 and didn't think I was getting focus at any distance, so I put it back on the camera and tried to sell it for £5, which would have been a £3 profit. I'm beginning to think I was lucky to not sell it.
What adapter are you guys using to use this lens?

You need lots of extension(8 to 9cm if the lens is focused to infinity) to reach infinity on your A6000. I have been looking for the 105mm but I never find one cheap. There are adapter made for adapting shutters to M42 such as this one Click here to see on Ebay. I get mine from china as they are cheaper.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, that's the lens, 105mm, I have one on a Selfix 820 in mint condition, it shoots every bit as well as a Voigtlander Skopar on a Bessa I have or the Tessar, Xenar, Radionar, and half a dozen other 100-105mm lenses of similar vintage I have on boards to fit my century graphic.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just found a dead Soligor zoom lens and the focus helicoid looks perfect for an adapter. Mr. Green

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently acquired one on eBay, but is slightly different, Ross Xpres 77.5mm f3.5. The lens had been modified to M42, seller said just need a M42-Sony E adapter to use it on Sony A7R cameras (I am thinking it probably has a long focal flange distance). According to some online sources that these lenses were paired with MPP Microcord TLR cameras (6X6). Any information about the lens, still waiting it to arrive.

@ calvin83, nice pictures Like 1 small Like 1 small !

Last edited by cellotone on Sat Aug 17, 2019 11:01 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

scsambrook wrote:
iangreenhalgh1 wrote:

The folder Ross Xpres lenses were either Tessar design or a 5 element variant on Tessars but not a 5 element Heliar design as some suggested. The Tessar 2 element group at the rear was made into a 3 element group in this case. The Heliar has two double element groups, at front and rear.

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/61015710 with some links

Interesting and touching articles on one of the better known Autorange 820 photographers;

http://the-golden-fleece.co.uk/wp/category/photographers/es/

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Ernst Dinkla

Thank you!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did mount mine. I used a M42 bellows, and the lens is mounted into the the outer part of a M42 T Mount, the screws are just nipped down onto the thread on the back of the lens.
I hold the shutter open with a cable shutter release, only this one doesn't actually have a cable. The aperture works as normal.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloydy wrote:
I did mount mine. I used a M42 bellows, and the lens is mounted into the the outer part of a M42 T Mount, the screws are just nipped down onto the thread on the back of the lens.
I hold the shutter open with a cable shutter release, only this one doesn't actually have a cable. The aperture works as normal.

IS it the Xpres 105/3.8? Not sure whether the Xpres 77.5/3.5 has the same focal flange distance?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cellotone wrote:
Lloydy wrote:

IS it the Xpres 105/3.8? Not sure whether the Xpres 77.5/3.5 has the same focal flange distance?

Yes, it's the 105 / 3.8. If the 105 and 75 share the same body they should have the same flange distance?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloydy wrote:

Yes, it's the 105 / 3.8. If the 105 and 75 share the same body they should have the same flange distance?

Looks like they came from different cameras:

http://camera-wiki.org/wiki/Ensign_Selfix_16-20 (Xpres 75mm f3.5)

http://camera-wiki.org/wiki/Ensign_Selfix_8-20 (Xpres 105mm f3.8 )

http://camera-wiki.org/wiki/Microcord (Xpres 77.5mm f3.5)

The one I am receiving is from a TLR camera.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cellotone wrote:
Lloydy wrote:

Looks like they came from different cameras:

http://camera-wiki.org/wiki/Ensign_Selfix_16-20 (Xpres 75mm f3.5)

http://camera-wiki.org/wiki/Ensign_Selfix_8-20 (Xpres 105mm f3.8 )

http://camera-wiki.org/wiki/Microcord (Xpres 77.5mm f3.5)

The one I am receiving is from a TLR camera.

Lenses on folders and TLRs like that are simple designs, they are not tele or retrofocus so their register distance is close tot their focal length.

Not counting the older Plaubel Makina the lens is fixed on the folder. Same for TLRs but the Mamiyas.

Of the Ensigns, the Selfixs have front cell focusing, the Autorange unit focusing, like the Microcord.

Kind regards, Ernst

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ernst Dinkla wrote:

Lenses on folders and TLRs like that are simple designs, they are not tele or retrofocus so their register distance is close tot their focal length.

Not counting the older Plaubel Makina the lens is fixed on the folder. Same for TLRs but the Mamiyas.

Of the Ensigns, the Selfixs have front cell focusing, the Autorange unit focusing, like the Microcord.

Kind regards, Ernst[/quote]

Like 1 small Like 1 small

Thank you for the great info! I was worrying that have to add many extension rings on it.

Thank You Dog