Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Rollei Planar HFT 1.8 50mm
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 4:02 am    Post subject: Rollei Planar HFT 1.8 50mm Reply with quote

Hi all,

I had serviced a Rollei Planar HFT 1.8 50mm last week.
Made some photos with this lens and had fallen in love immediately with its results - maybe you don't but its the fault of the available light and mine also,

So, here's the results:

Cheers,

Renato

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The last portrait picture is excellent. Perfect lens for pictures like those... Job well done.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some 25 years ago I have purchase a used RolleySL35 with this lens for $100.-, shot a roll of BW film and fall in love with it, put my Nikons on the shell and got all Zeiss lenses for Rolley I can find on photo shows.
All lenses are on Digital Canons now working perfectly! Real Treasure.

Last edited by Paulius on Wed Nov 26, 2014 2:37 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paulius wrote:
Some 25 years ago I have purchase a used RolleySL35 with this lens for $100.-, shot a roll of BW film and fall in love with it, put my Nikons on the shell and got all Zeiss lenses for Rolley, I can find on photo shows.
All lenses are on Digital Canons now working perfectly! Real Treasure.

RAART,

Thank you!

Paulus,
Indeed, real treasures, the next one will be the 1.4/85 even if I have to wait for a good shape and price for that.

Cheers,

Renato

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice shots!
I am thinking about buying this lens. Does it have any special characteristics that make it stand out from other 50mm lenses you have tried?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rolley Zeiss lenses were produced in West Germany and Singapore. Optically the same, but mechanically Singapore production is slightly simplified, some plastic parts introduced, contrary to all metal Germans. The problem with some Rolley lenses is sticky aperture, slow opening and closing, some times can't be closed enough. Difficult to cure, back glass block has to be removed and lifs should be cleaned up with Trichloretan, or today's less toxic substitute of it.
For the 85/1,4 it is magnificent lens, great for the portraits, but I'm using it also for landscapes and architecture.

Last edited by Paulius on Wed Nov 26, 2014 3:59 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is another Rolley line, Rolleinar made by Mamya. I have 28/2,8, which is awful, and absolutely great 55/1,4.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paulius wrote:
There is another Rolley line, Rolleinar made by Mamya. I have 28/2,8, which is awful, and absolutely great 55/1,4.

What's the problem with your Rolleinar 28/2.8?

I've recently picked one up for my QBM lens set and so far (viewed on screen) it looks like a good performer, although I've still to have shots printed for proper judgement.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have no idea, the images down to f11 are not sharp. I have the same problem with Nikkor 24mm, Vivitar 28mm and Sigma 18mm.
You have to use a high MP full frame Digital cameras to see the quality.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paulius wrote:
Rolley Zeiss lenses were produced in West Germany and Singapore. Optically the same, but mechanically Singapore production is slightly simplified, some plastic parts introduced, contrary to all metal Germans. The problem with some Rolley lenses is sticky aperture, slow opening and closing, some times can't be closed enough. Difficult to cure, back glass block has to be removed and lifs should be cleaned up with Trichloretan, or today's less toxic substitute of it.
For the 85/1,4 it is magnificent lens, great for the portraits, but I'm using it also for landscapes and architecture.

It also helps a bit that the German version says Carl Zeiss Smile

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, OK! Carl Zeiss, not a Zeiss Jenna…

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 1:29 am    Post subject: 1.8 High Fidelity Transfer 50 vs T* 1.7 50mm Contax Reply with quote

I have recently amassed a large assortment of 'popular' lenses and 12 or so of those are 50mm.
I simply read a lot of popular lens' threads and their high praise and then acquired the respective lenses.
I'm sure I read somewhere that the HFT made in Singapore was a better lens IQ-wise (maybe not build?).
So I found one. Made in Singapore. It's (glass) not even in pristine condition.
I had already acquired a Contax 1.7/50 AEJ. My brother-in-law (fellow camera guy) just very recently dropped off a Contax 1.7/50 MMJ.
my AEJ has very close to serial number as the MMJ so the AEJ is a later unit and the MMJ is an early production unit.
SO...with tripod and static objects I 'tested' the two Contax 1.7/50mm and found the results are very very same.
then i tested the HFT against both the Contaxs and it was quite easy for me to see the higher IQ from the HFT.
not scientific of course but easy for me to see better sharpness none the less.
i've already 'tested'; several of the most popular Taks, Yashica ML 2/50, Minolta MC Rokkor X PG 1.4/50, Hexanon 1.7/50, OM 1.8/50, FD 1.8/50, Helios 44-2m M44-4, 1.8/50 Zebra Pancolar, Pentacon MC auto 1.8/50, Pentacon auto 1.8/50, rikenon auto 1.4/55, Domiplan 2.8/50 and the digital 2/50 Zuiko and 1.8/45 micro Zuiko.
I have gotten rid of the 6 thorium lenses (3 taks, rikenon, zebra Pancolar, Hexanon 1.2/57).
I'm sure that the HFT is sharper than all the non-digital lenses* but i only tested at short distances and up to f/4-5.6.
Paul
I'd like to have a mint HFT 1.8/50mm to *use) keep forever.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul and any other member,

Any thoughts with the Planar 1.4/85 HFT and Contax 1.4/85? I' really need a sharp fast lens for portraits, better if sharp at wide open, and even better if it's a MF lens,

Cheers,

Renato

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have only Planar 85/1,4 HFT, can't compare. The lens is sharp wide open indeed. Has three leaf aperture. Great optically and mechanically.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Paulus,

Do you have some pics to share? It would helpful to define a buying decision - what I know is the market had tagged the Rollei nearby 2X the 1.4/85 Contax version,

Thanks,

Renato

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:59 pm    Post subject: sorry... Reply with quote

RSalles wrote:
Paul and any other member,

Any thoughts with the Planar 1.4/85 HFT and Contax 1.4/85? I' really need a sharp fast lens for portraits, better if sharp at wide open, and even better if it's a MF lens,

Cheers,

Renato

just the HFT 50 (for now).
i have an '86 40-2 which surprised me for sharpness. common opinion was the lens is kinda soft(of course at wide open and then some) but a few stops in it gets nicely sharpened up. i was not expecting it to be nicely sharp anywhere up to diffraction. i bought it for wide open bokeh/swirlies and wouldn't use it much for else as i have that FL covered by digital/ligher/sharper.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul,

I thought about the Helios 40-2 also but it would drive me back to the same issues regarding sharpness I came across with the J-9 I already have.

Best,

Renato

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RSalles wrote:
Hi Paulus,

Do you have some pics to share? It would helpful to define a buying decision - what I know is the market had tagged the Rollei nearby 2X the 1.4/85 Contax version,

Thanks,

Renato

Here are some photos taken from window moment ago starting from f1,4 to f22, scipping f2,5.
Camera 5D mark II, lens CZ 85/1,4 HFT Rolley.

f1,4 - Sharp, but little bit hazy details, could be good for portraits.

Fragment, full pixels:

Last edited by Paulius on Fri Nov 28, 2014 4:22 pm; edited 3 times in total

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

f2

Fragment' full pixel:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

f5,6

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

f8

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can skip the f11 and f16, only a depth of field is increasing on this f-stops, the IQ of image does not change.
The last one is f22, the IQ is still OK, only the camera shacked on slow speed .

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Paul,

At Wide Open we can see it's limits, lens being able to be used at this aperture in close-up shots and when extreme bokeh is needed. At f2 it's beginning to be completely usable - not that sharp as compared to f5.6 but much better sharpness then at WO. Closed from f2 to smaller f-stops the sharpness curve becomes less pronounced, visible only at large magnifications.
So, as Attila hate this kind of performance tests and prefers to use the lens in a real world situation, we have to wait for the next member who own the Contax 1.4/85 to compare...

Cheers,

Renato

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only the best of my lenses shows this "sharp haziness" on WO, such as Retina Schneiders, Kilfitt 40mm, all Rolley C.Zeisses, Ektars and some DDR glass.
I like this effect.

Last edited by Paulius on Fri Nov 28, 2014 10:50 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul,

Agree, it's a effect visible only wide-open, not always desirable but useful for certain situations. I don't care to much for a full of sharpness at wide open but I like when the lens has a 3 dimensional look even at that aperture, a pleasant bokeh and if possible certain swirl,

Cheers,

Renato