Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Rollei-HFT Planar 1.8/50
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 3:09 am    Post subject: Rollei-HFT Planar 1.8/50 Reply with quote

Believe it or not, I just bought a mint copy of this lens for only 18 Euros!
I never saw a Planar go so cheap in all my life.

Although I already have planars and I know what to expect, I am quite excited, I always do when I get such bargains. At this price this lens is like a gift more than a purchase. Look at these impressive image examples that show well the power of this lens:

http://www.haishangbbs.com/photo/thread-24673-1-1.html

_

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lucky dawg! Cool

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 7:21 am    Post subject: Re: Rollei-HFT Planar 1.8/50 Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
Look at these impressive image examples that show well the power of this lens:

http://www.haishangbbs.com/photo/thread-24673-1-1.html

On the basis of those small, web size photos, it is impossible to say very much about the ultimate quality of the lens - especially when you know nothing about the possibly applied PP. I've got even some Meniscus and Rapid Rectilinear shots which look or can be made to look deceivingly impressive at that size, which is why I try to post for the higher quality lenses many enough full-size photos with no or just very minimal sharpening. However, we must remember that even the originals as such don't always tell the whole truth, which may be hidden behind just a thin veil, easily removed with a little bit of proper processing - photography doesn't end at the RAW file or the negative.

On the other hand, the Planar is probably OK.

Veijo

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 7:50 am    Post subject: Re: Rollei-HFT Planar 1.8/50 Reply with quote

vilva wrote:

On the basis of those small, web size photos, it is impossible to say very much about the ultimate quality of the lens - especially when you know nothing about the possibly applied PP.
Veijo

That is true, but I was not making a statement about how sharp. I was evaluating more artistic qualities such as plasticity, the background blur, the gamut of captured shades.

At least, these are the things that I appreciate most. Many get crazy about sharpness, but it's only a part of the qualities of a lens, and as long as it is sufficient, it's not the most important in my opinion. And it's easy to fake with sharpening. Why I say so? From experience, I have noticed that lenses that are naturally sharp like Leicas, do take only a little part, if nothing, of software sharpening before they get ugly. While other lenses that are soft but still resolve well, like Pentacons, can improve greatly with sharpening. In the end of the day, there is no big difference, not even at full size, from a picture that started sharp and could only bear little adjustment, and one that started soft and was adjusted for sharpness.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello and congratulations,

Yes, very, very good price. Could be the same http://forum.mflenses.com/viewtopic.php?p=9560#9560 ?
Its on M42 screw mount ?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

montecarlo wrote:
Hello and congratulations,

Yes, very, very good price. Could be the same http://forum.mflenses.com/viewtopic.php?p=9560#9560 ?
Its on M42 screw mount ?

Yes, it's the same lens, but my copy has the Rollei mount.
126 Euros, that's the normal price for this lens, I was totally shocked when I saw this copy at buy it now for 18 Euros, I got it immediately as in the past when I hesitated someone always took it first.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was a fast and a wise decision, Orio! Well done.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio, will this lens fit a C/Y adapter? There is no Rollei>4/3 adapter on
ebay... Sad

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Katastrofo wrote:
Orio, will this lens fit a C/Y adapter? There is no Rollei>4/3 adapter on
ebay... Sad

Sorry Bill, it requires a Rollei adapter. As desperate measure you could try to attach first a Rollei-EOS adapter and then a EOS-Olympus adapter (if it exists), but I don't know what could happen to the infinity focus. I'm suspicious about stacking up adapters.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep in mind that the adapter Rollei-EOS must have 0,6mm thickness.
What you find on Ebay around 20-40 bucks it's way beyond.
There is a japanese manufacturer ( Kenday - I'm not sure about the name though) who make the proper ones but it's a bit expensive, something around 130 bucks.

Sorin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's called Cameraquest/Kindia and the adapter cost 175$.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you. I have found an Italian guy who builds adapters and also modifies existing ones, in case of need I'll use him.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found this one:
CLICK_LINK_EBAY
It says that supports infinity focus. Hope its true. I don't know what to say.
... oh, is says also "It will not fit for Rollei 50/1.8" , why ? I don't know. Sad

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

montecarlo wrote:

... oh, is says also "It will not fit for Rollei 50/1.8" , why ? I don't know. Sad

He explained, he says that it will not clear the 5D mirror Evil or Very Mad
Oh well, another lens for the 400D Rolling Eyes
But... I have already ground successfully my Nikkor 2/28, I can try to grind this Planar too Wink

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 10:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Rollei-HFT Planar 1.8/50 Reply with quote

LensLunatic wrote:
The cameras weren't really reliable, the lenses were so-so, there was a big quality variance, to say the least. However, good copies were as good as the original Zeiss lenes, but many weren't. Mine - which came with the camera body - was a paperweight.

Michael sold me a Rollei Sonnar 2.8/85 a few months ago. I used it in Budapest and it took great slides, I honestly can not tell the difference from the Contax model which I also have. But Michael's piece was Made in Germany, and with M42 mount. This lens I just bought has bayonet mount, and I don't know it's origin, so it may be a paperweight like yours. I guess I'll have to find out when it arrives. In the worst case, well, for 18 Euros, it will not be a great loss.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today I received both the lens and the adapter, from two different sellers - talk about timing.
My Rollei Planar is made in Singhapur - but no apparent problem with it. The quality output is similar to that of my Contax Planars.
Here's a whole shot resized, quick test made wide open on a horrible day (cloudy and wet):

And this is a crop of 100% from it - ISO 200 I think, wide open, no sharpening:

As you can see, the lens is more than reasonably sharp wide open.

I confirm that it does not clear the mirror on the 5D. This is a 400D shot.

But for 18 Euros Zeiss Planar I got already my great deal, I can't complain about the 5D.
Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio, does the Rollei-EOS-adapter work fine (infinity)?
I ask because I also have the chance to buy a Rollei Planar 1.8/50 for a good price from the same dealer I bought my Oly 35RC the other day.

This lens looks gorgeous!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:
Orio, does the Rollei-EOS-adapter work fine (infinity)?
I ask because I also have the chance to buy a Rollei Planar 1.8/50 for a good price from the same dealer I bought my Oly 35RC the other day.

This lens looks gorgeous!

My adapter seems to miss infinity focus by a tiny bit - the same way and quantity like it happens with M39 lenses. I am sure that I can sandpaper it down, but I have found an Italian guy who does work on adapters and also makes them custom.

He said he can narrow the Rollei adapter with his machinery with no problem. There'll be a little expense but it will look much better than sandpapered (and also it will be perfectly leveled).

By the way, at f/5.6 and after, infinity looks focused with my current adapter. So it's really a matter of a fraction of a millimeter.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, thanks!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:
OK, thanks!

I have made some further quick test, and, don't let the Singhapur thing keep you off that lens - from my tests, it's just as good as the Contax 50mm Planars, and I would not exclude that it may also be even a tiny bit sharper!
And in any case, LOTS of the Zeiss 3D effect, although it bears not the Zeiss name on it.

Definitely, definitely an intelligent buy!

Then of course, you may get a lemon copy, but this is a risk that is always present, even with new lenses.

_

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did it.

I went to the shop and bought the lens. I got it for €35,- which I think is a reasonable offer for a lens in mint condition (and I mean "mint").

Now I am waiting to get the adapter that I have found in the bay.

Even the first test shots with the lens just held to the cam were very promising. This lens has a character!

More later...

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a quick shot I took of my living room this morning:

Yesterday evening I took these free hand (like the one above) to show a bit of the clarity, colour density and bokeh of this fine lens. Consider that the ISO is high so detail might not be as clear as it could. The colours have not been modified. I did some moderate sharpening on resizing.
Click on thumbnails:

I think it's not bad for 18 Euros Very Happy

_

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio, this is a very tasteful and classy living room!

Orio wrote:
I think it's not bad for 18 Euros Very Happy

It would not be bad for € 180,- !

Oh man, I can't wait to get the adapter. Wink

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:
Orio, this is a very tasteful and classy living room!

Thanks Smile I am an aesthete, I like to live surrounded by beautiful things Smile
(and beautiful lenses!) Wink

The plaster head you see on the left, is a sculpture made by my father, it portrays my mother, it was made in the late 50s or early 60s
The red chairs are part of a true Deco age living room, I also have the sofa.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio

Love the room - you describe yourself accurately I would say.

patrickh