Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Rokkor 58mm f/1.2 question
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 2:18 pm    Post subject: Rokkor 58mm f/1.2 question Reply with quote

That Rokkor lens was made for quite a few years and underwent changes along the way.

I own a late copy of that lens Snr: 2770060, No "PG" label. I't a great lens no questions about that, but I've been wondering what I'm missing out on compared with an older, radioactive copy. If anyone have both new and old versions and have shot them side by side I'd like to hear if there is any difference. Or even better, can post some samples.

Cheers!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I know you're lucky.You've got a pretty rare copy of this wonderful lens ,(7 elements,five groups),with the newer MD coating and without a radioactive (thoriated) glass element inside.I look forward to some sample pictures. Smile

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I didn't know about the coating! And in that case it was luck, since I didn't look for a specific version, just grabbed the first one Very Happy So far I've only taken a few shots on film

Velvia 100

Velvia 100

Portra 160

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you post a pic of the lens? I didn't think there was an MD version of the 58 1.2. I am aware of multiple MC Rokkor variations but thought it was replaced by the 50 1.2 with the introduction of the MD lenses in 1978, nor was I aware of a different optical formula for this lens.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here you go. It is a MC ROKKOR, it's just missing the PG.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

March, 1973
- MC Rokkor-X PG 58/1,2 [7/5] (ø55mm) 0,6m f/16 70,8x54mm 478g

Up-dated fast standard. Where Minolta moved away from 55, 58, even 53 mm focal lengths in standard lenses with this series, this particular lens was already perfect, so nothing was changed. While the other standard lenses of the series never lost their two-letter optical codes, this one is sometimes found without its -PG (it’s because this lens was actually sold into the MD era).
Excerpts from RED Bailey’s Minolta Collection web site

This lens was still being sold in 1974 therefore we can suppose that the new MD coating was applied on the last ones sold,
presumebly on those without "PG".... but i have no proof of that...

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like blotafton is going to have to buy an older version to compare. Twisted Evil

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mir wrote:
March, 1973
- MC Rokkor-X PG 58/1,2 [7/5] (ø55mm) 0,6m f/16 70,8x54mm 478g

Up-dated fast standard. Where Minolta moved away from 55, 58, even 53 mm focal lengths in standard lenses with this series, this particular lens was already perfect, so nothing was changed. While the other standard lenses of the series never lost their two-letter optical codes, this one is sometimes found without its -PG (it’s because this lens was actually sold into the MD era).
Excerpts from RED Bailey’s Minolta Collection web site

This lens was still being sold in 1974 therefore we can suppose that the new MD coating was applied on the last ones sold,
presumebly on those without "PG".... but i have no proof of that...

A reasonable conclusion.

Lightshow wrote:
Looks like blotafton is going to have to buy an older version to compare. Twisted Evil

Now that's mean!
Though that thought has crossed my mind about 234 times already Very Happy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have both versions, the PG version has more green coating (SN:25*****), the non-PG (SN:27*****) has more clear/very slight purple/yellow coating.
PG ver. almost seems more "coated"....
Both are the rubber focusing ring versions

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

radissimo77 wrote:
I have both versions, the PG version has more green coating (SN:25*****), the non-PG (SN:27*****) has more clear/very slight purple/yellow coating.

Does the older one contain thorium, or is it only the metal barrel ones that do?

I welcome a comparison nonetheless!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From FredMiranda:

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/833131

One other notable difference is the presence of thorium (radioactive) glass in the first few runs. Lenses with serial numbers 200xxxx, 250xxxx, 255xxxx, and at least some of the 256xxxx have this. Lenses from 257xxxx through 27xxxxx series do not.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

radissimo77 wrote:

+1, had to look at my copy when I got home. It's also a 27xxxxxx serial without the PG, with the orange ROKKOR-X branding. It has the same purple/yellowish coloration in the coating.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are the last versions, your is for USA market with -X suffix.
I was just surprised that coating is way more visible on my older -PG version.
Both are non-radioactive ones.
I will test them for flare/contrast soon.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kenetik wrote:
radissimo77 wrote:

+1, had to look at my copy when I got home. It's also a 27xxxxxx serial without the PG, with the orange ROKKOR-X branding. It has the same purple/yellowish coloration in the coating.

In that case there is some variation, mine has the mostly yellow and green coating.

radissimo77 wrote:
These are the last versions, your is for USA market with -X suffix.
I was just surprised that coating is way more visible on my older -PG version.
Both are non-radioactive ones.
I will test them for flare/contrast soon.

I'm looking forward to that!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
I have this note (hosted in MS OneNote) regarding that lens.
I copied it from one website or forum, but some update of Onenote lost the source of it, sorry!

Quote:
~

Here is a brief manufacture history:

Version 1 (1968-1969) Serial# Range 200-257
58mm MC Rokkor-PG F/1.2 (Introduced on September 16th 1968

Radioactive Coatings
Metal Focus Ring
Silver Aperture Ring
Flathead Screws

Version 2 (1969-1973) Serial# Range 258-259
58mm MC Rokkor-PG F/1.2

Improved (Non-Radioactive Coatings)
Rubber Focus Ring
Black Aperture Ring
Philips Screws

Version 3 (1973-1978) Serial# Range 271-277
58mm MC Rokkor-X (in orange) PG F/1.2 (Designated Rokkor-X only in the USA & Canada)

In the rest of the world it was labeled Rokkor (with white lettering)
It debuted in March 1973 (Other Rokkor-X lenses arrived earlier in 1972)
Improved Coatings from Version 2

Which vintage is the best? That is hard to say. Good samples have been found from all groups.
There is evidence that the older radioactive, metal focus ring copies are the best.
Some fans who have purchased a dozen or more samples really prefer the older copies.
There is that sample variation factor though.
My copy is the old style with the so called coveted serial number that is in the 250XXXX range.
Your mileage may vary but in my book the 58mm/1.2 Rokkor definitely deserve its underground cult status (its becoming more well known now though.)

It really is one of the finest lenses ever made...

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So we can go as far as guessing that the final version of coating is the " slight purple/yellow coating" that looked weaker than other versions?

In that case it's odd that mine (277****) has yellow-orange/ green colors, with just a little bit of purple in there.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2022 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't find any better thread to continue....

Here is another example picture from my MC Rokkor-PG 58mm/F1.2 serial 250xxxx, taken with my Sony A7R2 on Techart AF adapter @F1.2:

In terms of bokeh one of my favorite lenses, no doubt about that.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2022 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minolta MC Rokkor-PG 1.2/58 - ø55 - 8 blades - MFD: 60cm - sn. 2505149 - 1969 (MC-II)

Minolta MC Rokkor-X 1.2/58 - ø55 - 8 blades - MFD: 60cm - sn. 2742414 - 1974 (MC-X)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2022 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the "X" versión but the coated of the first element was green.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2022 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tb_a wrote:
Didn't find any better thread to continue....

Here is another example picture from my MC Rokkor-PG 58mm/F1.2 serial 250xxxx, taken with my Sony A7R2 on Techart AF adapter @F1.2:

In terms of bokeh one of my favorite lenses, no doubt about that.

One of my favourite lenses too, lovely bokeh.

I have to ask; looks friendly enough, but what is that thing?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2022 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

papasito wrote:

That green inner coating on the first element of early Rokkors is like a Padrón pepper: you won't know if it is a later hard green coating or an early soft green coating until you touch it...

So if you want to clean the inside (green) coating of an early Rokkor lens, be very careful! The slightest mechanical contact on the soft one will scratch it; that one can only be rinsed with a solvent!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2022 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RokkorDoctor wrote:
I have to ask; looks friendly enough, but what is that thing?

It's a piggy bank. One of my favorite objects for lens testing. Wink

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2022 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RokkorDoctor wrote:
papasito wrote:

That green inner coating on the first element of early Rokkors is like a Padrón pepper: you won't know if it is a later hard green coating or an early soft green coating until you touch it...

So if you want to clean the inside (green) coating of an early Rokkor lens, be very careful! The slightest mechanical contact on the soft one will scratch it; that one can only be rinsed with a solvent!

Yes, you are right.

I had this problem with the inner element of the 58/1,4 MC And with the MC 50/1,4.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2022 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah this old thread.

I still have the lens and love it.

If I get another f/1.2 it would be a Hexanon 57mm or Zuiko 50mm that I like photos from.

Here are some shots.

The last two are taken with badly aged Sensia 200, 19 years old.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2022 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must say, the look of that old, aged film and this old lens go so well hand in hand. That's what I'd call a "dreamy" look. Must be one of those "happy accidents" with expired film.