Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

ROKKOR 45 OR HEXANON 40?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Konica S3, that had the 38/1,8 lens was a

Nitto camera with kominon Lens

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had some time this afternoon and decided to make a small comparison between the Minolta MD 2/45 and the Hexanon AR 1.8/40.

I used a tripod and didn't move the camera so that you will see the difference in field of view for each lens. The Hexanon has the wider field of view obviously.
The Hexanon also focuses more closely but I set the focus distance for the close shots for both to the Minolta's closest focus, and shot both from there.
All images were shot in RAW on Fujifilm X-E2s (APSC sensor).
There was no post processing other than auto levels in LR6.

The fist shot each time is from the Minolta MD 2/45 followed by the shot from the Konica Hexanon 1.8/40
I shot the first pair at f2 and f1.8 respectively followed by a pair at f4 for both.

In regards to bokeh, it should be remembered that the Hexanon is a wider lens and would be expected to have slightly busier background blur. Add to this that it was not at its minimum focal distance in the close shots either. At minimum distance the background would be somewhat softer.

Minolta MD 2/45 @f2

Konica Hexanon 1.8/40 @f1.8

Minolta MD 2/45 @f4

Konica Hexanon 1.8/40 @f4

Minolta MD 2/45 @f2

Minolta MD 2/45 @f4

Minolta MD 2/45 @f2

Minolta MD 2/45 @f4

Finally the lenses themselves

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally, there is so little between these lenses that either would be a good choice.
Both are excellent.
Can you tell which lens took which image?
Tom

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldhand wrote:

#1 Minolta
#2 Hexanon

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldhand wrote:
Finally, there is so little between these lenses that either would be a good choice.
Both are excellent.
Tom

Based on color saturation I would say
#1 Hexanon,
#2 Rokkor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are both Hexanon.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aidaho wrote:
Oldhand wrote:

#1 Minolta
#2 Hexanon

idaho is correct.
Both were taken at f5.6.
The first is Minolta the second is Hexanon.
Both are excellent and you won't go wrong with either, but there are a couple of reasons why you might choose the Hexanon.
Firstly it is a little faster, but also it focuses closer than the Minolta.
The Minolta does look more saturated and has better contrast wide open, but the Hexanon rectifies that once stopped down even a little.
The Hexanon feels more substantial in use as it has mostly metal/glass components - the Minolta feels like it contains more plastic, but this is a personal preference of course.
The Hexanon is shorter but when adapters are added there is little difference.
Just pick the one you can get at the best price Smile
Tom

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Hexanon is pretty weak wide open. This lens at least. I have other Konica's that are wonderful wide open just not this one. I think if you are looking for faster performance wide open the Minolta is the better lens. The Hexanon is a wider lens though and that is an advantage as is the closer focusing distance. Also with the copies I had the Hexanon is a sharper lens stopped down and MTF50 test resutls seem to support that. Also, what I have noticed is the Minolta's seem to render reds a different shade from other lenses.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldhand wrote:
aidaho wrote:
Oldhand wrote:

#1 Minolta
#2 Hexanon

idaho is correct.
Both were taken at f5.6.
The first is Minolta the second is Hexanon.
Both are excellent and you won't go wrong with either, but there are a couple of reasons why you might choose the Hexanon.
Firstly it is a little faster, but also it focuses closer than the Minolta.
The Minolta does look more saturated and has better contrast wide open, but the Hexanon rectifies that once stopped down even a little.
The Hexanon feels more substantial in use as it has mostly metal/glass components - the Minolta feels like it contains more plastic, but this is a personal preference of course.
The Hexanon is shorter but when adapters are added there is little difference.
Just pick the one you can get at the best price Smile
Tom

Your pics are consistent with my own tests.

The warmer hexanon has the same or better resolving power than the hexanon 50/1,7.

IT has better MC than the single coated Rokkor 45/2. So, obviously, more contrast .

The Rokkor seems to have more details, but the contrast of the Hexanon should produce that difference.

Actually, my option is the hexanon