Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

rokinon 85mm f/1.4 for m4/3
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:14 am    Post subject: rokinon 85mm f/1.4 for m4/3 Reply with quote

I'd like to use the Viv/Bower/Samyang/Rokinon 85mm f/1.4 with my e-p1. Unfortunately it's not available for m4/3 (and I believe its 4/3 mount version is only vapour-ware.)

What's the cheapest to use that lens on m4/3? Nikon mount version with a Nikon->m4/3 adapter?

Thanx

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prices are changing always on m4/3 adapter and on this lens too. You have too look both and think about re-sell on lens. I think take with Nikon mount is best idea.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
I think take with Nikon mount is best idea.

After this 85mm lens, I'll probably looking for 55 or 58mm lenses from another mounts. On m4/3 that would give 110mm or 116mm efl and would make great portrait lenses. Also due to the high pixel density of m4/3 sensor, sharper lens would be nicer.

With regard to the normal lenses (50, 55 and 58mm), how do the following systems compare: Canon FD, Nikon (mf), Pentax K (their mount are avail with Samyang clones.) ?

Thank you

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends on the prices ... if prices are the same, get a Nikon version, i expect that it will resell easier when you don't want it anymore.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hk300 wrote:
It depends on the prices ... if prices are the same, get a Nikon version, i expect that it will resell easier when you don't want it anymore.

The Alpha/Sony version seems to be the cheapest. Then the EOS version, then Nikon.

The problem, I'll have to buy an adapter for my e-p1. I'll probably buy the smart 4/3->m4/3 adapter anyway but the Samyang 4/3 mount is not avail yet and god knows what the price will be. I have no intention on using EOS or Alpha lenses on my m4/3, so buying an adapter for those mounts seem to be a waste. The nikon adapter might turn out useful, since it should allow me to use MF Nikkor lenses.

Btw, why ppl keeps mentioning reselling? Is that 85mm supposed to be a great lens? Am I missing something?

Cheers

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bogolisk wrote:
Btw, why ppl keeps mentioning reselling? Is that 85mm supposed to be a great lens? Am I missing something?

There is nothing wrong with the lens, nor is there anything suspicious with it.

It just makes common sense to buy lenses that are easy to trade afterwards. More popular = more potential buyers. Better re-sale value = more money, should you for some reason need cash.

Not all photography equipment is sold because owner wants to sell it to finance new equipment. Often photo gear is sold because owner has to sell it to get cash to pay for bills, food, kids education and other aspects of every day life.