Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Rodenstock APO-Rodagon 50mm/F2.8
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:09 pm    Post subject: Rodenstock APO-Rodagon 50mm/F2.8 Reply with quote

Today I've received my "new" macro lens, the Rodenstock APO-Rodagon 50mm/F2.8.

The first quick and dirty test shots look very promising. The lens is very sharp and there are no CA's whatsoever.

The configuration is as follows: Lens on M39 to M42 step-up ring, M42 on Minolta MD adapter, Minolta "Compact Bellows", Minolta MD to LM adapter and LM to Sony-E. For the ring flash step-up rings from 40.5 to 49 and 49 to 55 mm have been used.
With this configuration the possible magnification is something from 1:1 to 2:1 on my FF Sony A7R II.
The picture of the camera was taken with my Ricoh GXR-M and the 7Artisans M 50/1.1 at F8. The picture of the lighter was shot free hand. A 100% crop is also attached. Pictures clickable as usual.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 Like 1 Like 1 and excellent lens and it clearly shows! Thanks also for showing your setup!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, Klaus.

Have tried to use the Rodagon as "normal lens" with an improvised set-up and made a further test photo.
Straight from the camera a 200% center crop at open aperture without any manipulation (clickable for best quality viewing):

The resolution of this lens is simply stunning. Even in double size extreme pixel peeping viewing mode! Maybe my very best 50mm lens.
Hopefully my ordered focusing helicoid will be delivered soon. I am looking forward to compare it to some other lenses, particularly other 50mm macro ones.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just found out that the register distance at infinity focus is 46mm according specifications.

Therefore with a step-up ring M39 to M42 attached to a M42 to LM adapter and the LM to Sony-E close focus helicoid adapter (or the Techart PRO with AF) the lens is ready for use as a "normal lens" from apprx. 1 m to infinity.
Quite small and handy for portable use on any E-mount camera.

First example test shot for infinity landscape (unfortunately no sun today and a little bit raining) with this setup at F5.6 (clickable for best quality viewing):

1. Whole picture:

2. 100% center crop:

3. 100% corner crop:

Verdict: This lens is obviously my new very best 50mm lens. Suitable for anything from infinity landscape to extreme macro when extreme sharpness from edge to edge is required, depending on setup. The test showed that even at F2.8 the quality is likewise but DOF is shallower. Therefore I showed the F5.6 version here.

BTW, I've investigated a little bit more and found out that the MTF-charts for the APO Rodagon (which is dentical to the contemporary APO Rodagon-N besides that the coatings have been improved for the newer version available for EUR 600.-) is slightly worse compared to the Leica APO-SUMMICRON-M 1:2/50 mm ASPH. (apprx. EUR 7000.-) but better than the Zeiss Otus 50/1.4 (apprx. EUR 3000.-) at same apertures.

IMHO even if bought new for EUR 600.- this lens is worth every penny, particularly when used on a high resolution FF sensor camera like the A7R II.
I'm more than happy that I catched it and will keep it forever. Wink

Cheers,

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to complete this introduction I've made a picture from the "normal lens" configuration. I've only removed the lens hood, the 40.5 to 49 mm ring is left on the lens.
Picture taken with Ricoh GXR-M and Voigtländer VM Nokton 50mm/F1.5:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just in case somebody might be interested I'm happy to share some more test pictures here.
I've made these test photos all fully open at F2.8 particularly to check for lens errors such as vignetting and chromatic aberration (CA) or color fringing.

Verdict: Lens is excellently corrected and tack sharp already fully open. At least I am not able to dedect any errors. Bokeh is nice as well, at least for my taste.

Most probably this lens will be my most used 50mm lens in the future, maybe I should get rid of apprx. 20 nifty fifties and check for other APO Rodagons as well. Wink

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A little walk around (shot with Sony A7R II):